} } Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp

Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp

Texas youth are gathering for a week at Fort McKavett to learn about the rich cultural heritage of Texas. "Old Stories, New Voices" provides students the opportunity to experience Native American, Hispanic, African-American and Anglo contributions to the history and culture of Texas!

Monday, July 21, 2008

Monday, July 21, 2008
Today was Native American Day at "Old Stories, New Voices." Students sat inside a tipi and learned the traditional song and dance of the Lipan Apache. They listened to the stories of a Seminole Indian Scout and learned about his role on the Western frontier.
Weaving, archery and a game called shinny were part of our afternoon activities, as well as a much-needed dip in the pool!


The day wrapped up with a real treat from the Kiowa Dancers, who showed us the natural beauty of their traditional dance.

Monday, July 21, 2008
Describe one of the Native American games you played today.
What is it called? How do you play it?

Dear Dad:
Today I went to Menard to do archery, shiny, and weaving. Shiney was a very fun game. We got to go into a real tepee, it was very fascinating.
Jensen M.

Dear Mom:
Today was Indian day, we learned about Apache life in the 1800’s, weaving, archery, shiny (which is like hokey), and we went swimming, and watched Kiowa’s dance. I miss you!!
Aho!
Tristan S.

Dear Mom and Dad:
Today I learned about Indians and ahow means thank you in Indian. We didn’t do archery at the McTagert, but we shot archery next to the Australian hotel in Menard. We went swimming. I miss you a lot.
Will M.

Dear Mom and Dad, Grandma, and William:
Today I played a game called Shiny, it is an Indian version of hockey. We also did archery and weaving. After dinner some Kiowa dancers came and danced for us. Having fun!
Bennett T.

Dear Mom and Tarran:
Today I played Shiney, you play with big sticks and a soft ball. The rules you don’t pick your stick up because you might hit someone in the face, and you have to aim at the ball and it is call Shiney because you might get hit in the shin by the ball. Today I got hit with the stick twice in my knee and the big softball in my shin.
Lainny M.

Dear Mom:
Today I learned about things that they had a long time ago. We went to the pool and we looked at people dancing.
Itzel M.

Dear Dad:
Today I had a good but tough time. How are things back home? Tell mom and fiddles I said Hi. Love you, see you Saturday at 9:30.
Jess G.

Dear Grandma:
Today I went to Menard. The most surprising thing was the pool. I learned about the Apache, they used a shield that is made of buffalo. I learned to play shinie. It is a game with a ball and a stick. I learned how to shot a bow and arrow. I hit the lion two times, one in the butt, one in the head. The Indians taught us a lot of things. I love you Grandma and mom.
Jesus

Dear Mom:
Today I went back to Menard and went swimming at the pool. We also did archery, we weaved and we played a game called Shiny. I saw a real Kiowa Indians perform a ceremony under the mess tent. I also have met a lot of new friends. Love,
Heaven

Dear Mom:
Today I was thinking about you. I really really miss you and I wish I could see you again. We did archery, and a game called shiny and we swam. I love you.
Rabian M.

Dear Mom:
Today I went swimming. I learned about the Apaches. I learned how to play Shiny. I also did archery and weaving.
Lorie K.

Dear Mom and Dad:
Today I played shinny, shot bows and arrows, I shot a lion, a boar and an elk. My team won at shinny, and we got to watch some talented Kiowa dancers.
Chris B.

Dear Mom:
Today I played shinny you split up into to teams and hit a ball with sticks an make it in the goals.
JadeT.

Dear Mom and Dad:
Today was Native American day, dancers came and taught me the friendship dance and the courting dance. It was awesome. I will write to you later.
Fina

Dear Mom, Dad, Isabella, Louie:
Today I listed to the native American speak about dances and stuff. Then we played shiny.
Joey S.

Dear Mom:
Today I played Shinny, it is a game that was played a long time ago. You get a wooden stick and a baseball and hit it in a goal. I love you.
Ramon C.

Dear Mom:
Today was Native American day and they danced to us and they wore bright colors and then som other peopled volunteered to dance. I love you. I miss you and have fun, or at least try to.
Maria M.

Dear Mom and Family:
Today I played shinny. It’s like hockey only with sticks and a baseball. I had a lot of fun playing with my friends. And I hope that you are doing well.
Athena A.
Dear Mom:
Today I played a game called Shinny. It is like hockey, but you have to play with a stick about waist high, and hit a ball into the middle of two poles.
Alexis G.

Dear Mom and Dad:
Today I was studying Native American day. We learned a lot of stuff, like there was a game called shinny. The purpose of the game is not to raise the stick and try to make it to the other flag. We also went to the water park, and played for a while. I had a great time. I will see you in a week.
Odalys F.

Dear Mom and Dad:
Today I played Shinny. How to play shinny, you take one stick, one ball it is like field hockey, it is a Native American game. The food was great! I had chicken, and brownies. I love you.
Jack H.

Dear Mom:
Today I went swimming, and I got to see a little parade. My favorite thing today was swimming. I love you.
Isaac E.

Dear Mom,
Today I ate with Apaches, talked to them, I also played Shinny and Archery. The fun thing was dancing with the Kiowas. It was fun.
Love you,
Lanny M.

Dear family,
Today I played a game named shiny. It was fun my team won 4 to 0. Today was a fun day like the first day.
Taylor B.

Dear mom,
Today I played shinny and arrows. I went to the pool. Im having fun.
Jairo m.

Dear family,
Today we met Native Americans. We learned a lot about the Native Americans and their culture. After that we went to Menard to do swimming ,weaving, archery and play Shinny. Then we came back for dinner and then some Native Americans did long dances like in Boy Scouts. I’m happy you let me come here. Love you.
P.S. Shinny is Native American game like hockey
Love,
Kevin V.

Dear Mom,
Mom I miss you! Mom I love you. I want to see you. Say hi to all of this. Mom we did archery.
Roman

Dear Dad,
Today I played Shinny. To play the game each player gets a wooden stick and tries to hit the ball in the goal. It was really fun.
Love,
Cheyene

Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I played Shinny. You can only use a stick to play and the stick can’t leave the ground and you can only hit the ball.
Love,
Christian

Dear Mom,
Today I learned how to play a game called Shinny. You have to get a stick for each team and hit a ball as small as a baseball into each goal.
Love,
Arthur

Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I had lots of fun and it was an exciting day. I learned how to play Shinny. We had some really interesting visitors. I hope your doing well. We did archery.
Love,
Yesenia

Dear Mom,
Today I talked about Native Americans. We played a game called shinny. You play it by using a stick and a ball and you use a stick to hit the ball. After that we went to archery. It was hard. I only hit one animal. After archery we went swimming.
Isaac B.

Dear Camp Family,
We had another great day today! We got to learn so many things about Native Americans and their impact on life in Texas. We played shinny, shot arrows at targets and got to go swimming. Several of the things I did today I had never done before and I was grateful for the opportunities. I am tired but very excited about what we get to do tomorrow! Log on!

Sincerely, Shug the Silverback Gorilla

Dear mom,
Today, I enjoyed watching Kiowa Dancers. I went swimming and jumped off the diving board in to water ten feet deep. I learned to play shinny. An Indian game like field hockey. Li always take my medicine. I learned how to weave. To end the day I learned to shoot bows and arrows.
Jorden T.

DearMom&Dad
Today I have a great day that I send e-mail yesterday I hope that you are okey . I love you guys I always miss you.
Signed,vivgina

Dear Mom and Dad
Today I learned about a house that is ruined here. I also got to play a game of shinny and we also went swimming today. Today we learned about the Native Ameracin and how they talk and how they dance.I love you so much mommy and daddy
Gabriel R.

Dear Family,
Today I played different games called Shinny, bow and arrow, and went to the pool. Look at dancers and went in tepees and talked with friends.
Rhea W

Dear Mommy
Today I used the bow and arrow and learned a new game today and went swimming. We saw a tipi and learned what they used back then. I miss you!!!!
Jessica c.

Dear, Mommy
Today it was Native American day.The Indians toght us about their different
Cultures.We also got to weave, play shinny, do archery, and go swimming. And Kiowa Indians came and danced for us. I miss you a lot!!!!
Love,
Clayton B.

Dear Mom,
Today I played shinny. I almost made a goal once, but we all stayed at 0. We got to swim and dance with Indians. I miss you and Dad and everyone else a lot.
Coleton B.

Dear Mom, Dad and Trey,
I played shinny. You take a stick and you have to keep the stick on the ground and hit the ball and try to score. P.S. I really miss you.
Love,
Tristan H.

Dear Family,
Today was Native American day. People like Apache told us about their culture. I can’t wait to see what’s happening on Tuesday.
Charryon S.

Dear Mom,
Today, I played shinny. It’s compared to field hockey. We played with sticks and a baseball. It is also compared to soccer. You have to hit the ball to the goalie. We won 4-0. Bye.
Klara C.

Queridos Padres ,
Mando esta carta por internet para decirles que la estamos pasandola muy bien .Jaziel les esta escribiendoles en ingles. Hoy aprendimos de los indios y sus bailes sin sentido.Pero antes fuimos a la alberca en Menard.
Horita tengo una amiga llamada Hosephina.
Hasta pronto!
Los quiero.
Jackie R.

Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I leaned about the Native Americans. A few of them came today. We swam in the swimming pool at Menard, played shinney too. See you soon.
Jesus R.



















9 Comments:

  • At July 22, 2008 at 9:37 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Fina,

    It's great to hear that you are learning and enjoying so much. Remember everything you learn so you can share it with your 4th grade classmates this coming year. The blog is really great. More pictures would make it even better.

    Love,

    Dada

     
  • At July 22, 2008 at 9:49 AM , Blogger Katrina said...

    Jess,
    Although Dad didn't see your post this morning, he called, and I read it to him. He said to tell you "hi", and he'll write to you later this evening. Hope you learn lots today and have a great time! I'm sure you've met lots of new friends from all over Texas, too.
    Love,
    MOM

     
  • At July 22, 2008 at 10:12 AM , Blogger Alana said...

    Jess:
    We are so proud of you! I know your going to have a great time this week. Branna can't wait to hear about all of your adventures!
    It sounds like the Indian Day was alot of fun! I can't wait to hear how today went...
    XOXO,
    your sis

     
  • At July 22, 2008 at 12:11 PM , Blogger Clarence said...

    Hi Klara!!

    Read your blog and it sounds like you are having lots of fun and learning great things. Be safe and I will see you soon. I miss you.

    Love you
    Daddy

     
  • At July 22, 2008 at 4:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    My dear Kevin,

    We are so glad you are having a blast there. We knew you would... :) Learn as much as you can so you can share with us everything you did and learned. How did you like that game? it sounds fun. Can't wait to read more about your experiences tonight. Remember that we love you and miss you lots.

    Mom & Dad

     
  • At July 22, 2008 at 9:00 PM , Blogger Katrina said...

    Hi Jess,
    How are you? I hope you're doing fine. I am so proud of you. I do miss you, but, at the same time, I am jealous because it sounds like you're having lots of fun. Hey, I guess I will talk to you later.

    Love you lots!

    Your Dad

     
  • At July 22, 2008 at 10:27 PM , Blogger Michelle Mynatt said...

    Hello Will,

    Just wanted to say "ahow" for the messages. Your sisters are missing you very much, but they are NOT going into your room. Have fun.

    Love, Mom and Dad

     
  • At July 22, 2008 at 11:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Roman,

    I'm so glad that you are having fun! I saw your picture. I miss you too and love you very much. See you soon,

    Love,

    Mom

     
  • At July 22, 2008 at 11:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ramon,

    I hear you're having lots of fun and learning new things. I can't wait to hear all about it. I miss and love you!

    Love,

    Mom

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home