} } Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp

Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp

Texas youth are gathering for a week at Fort McKavett to learn about the rich cultural heritage of Texas. "Old Stories, New Voices" provides students the opportunity to experience Native American, Hispanic, African-American and Anglo contributions to the history and culture of Texas!

Thursday, July 24, 2008


Thursday, July 24, 2008
Today we traveled to beautiful South Llano State Park!

Campers enjoyed seining for fish, learned to safely maneuver a canoe and took a 45-minute canoe trip down the river.

Due to rainy weather, we were unable to camp out, but campers enjoyed hamburgers and a movie back at the fort.

It was a great day!

Thursday Blog
Describe your canoe trip down the South Llano River.
What was scary? What was fun?

Dear Mom:
The canoeing trip was fun at the beginning of the trip, but scary at the end. I miss you very much, love you, bye!
Lanny M.

Dear Mom and Dad:
The canoe trip was awesome. I had a great time . I am pretty good canoer. I miss you a lot.
Will M.

Dear Dad:
The canoe trip was very fun. We didn’t get to go on the three hour trip we were supposed to go on, because of the rain. My canoe tiped on a deep spot and we got soaked, it was still very fun though. I miss you.
Love,
Jensen

Dear Mom:
The canoe trip was very fun. The canoe didn’t fall or tip. We also caught fish, they were very little and wiggly, but I still liked it. See you in two days.
Love,
Jessica C.

Dear Mommy and Daddy,
The canoe trip was fun cause I got to go to the back and I went down fast waters.The scariest part is when the canoe almost got in the water.We didn’t camp outside cause it was raining.I miss you mommy and daddy.
Gabriel R.

Dear Dianna,
The canoe trip was really fun. It was also funny because we got stuck in trees. I had a great time. We did not get to go outdoor camping because it was raining pretty bad. I hope to see you on Saturday. I hope you are having a great time over there. I LOVE YOU!!!!BYE.
With love, Odalys F.

Dear Mom and Dad,
The canoe trip was a little hard, we were always getting stuck and couldn’t move. It was hard and I had to steer too, witch was really hard. And it rained, it rained all day, it never stopped. Well see you in a few days. Bye!
Jesus R.

Dear Mom,
The canoe trip was fun and bumpy. We alywas got stuck on the rocks and we did it in some rain. But it was fun! But since it rained we didn’t get to spend the night camping.
Jacqueline

Dear Mom, Dad, and Trey,
We went canoeing today on the South Llano River. It was rough. We crashed a couple of times. But I’m alight. I really miss you.
Love,
Tristan

Dear Family,
The Canoe trip was so fun. The adult me and my friend were with said that we were one of the best canoers we had ever seen. I missed you a whole bunch.
Coleton

Dear Mom, Evone, and Burgundy,
The canoe trip was fun. I was in the back so I was really the captain because the person in the back rows the boat. The scary part was when we almost tipped over but we got through it.
I love you
Isaac

Dear Mom and Dad,
The canoe trip was fun. I went swimming where the fish are and I can’t wait to see you. I will be home in two days. I love you guys.
Vivian


Dear Mom and Dad,
The canoe trip was very exciting! I was in the back doing most of the steering.
My partner was my new friend Jade, and my counselor Ms. Melanie. I also went seining (catching fish with a net)! Unfortunately I caught no fish, but it was still fun. I miss you! Say Hi to Albert! Write to you later!
Maria [Fina]

Dear Family,
The canoe trip was fun and exciting. At-least I caught some fish when we went seining (catching fish with a net in the river).
Kevin

Dear Mom, Dad, Louie, Isasbella,
The canoe trip was very fun and it was like 4 or 5 miles long. I got to see lots of deer, pet a baby deer, and caught a lot of fish.
Joey

Dear Mom,
The canoe trip was fun because we could canoe, fish, and jump in the lake and float down the river. I had fun.
Love,
Arthur

Dear Family,
The canoe trip was fun. Now I know how to canoe and fish. The fishing part was fun, and during the first part I caught 5 fish. I love you and I was swimming in the river.
Love,
Rabian

Dear Mommy
during the whole week.
Clayton

Dear Mom,
Mom is KK o Kay? Today I fished and went canoeing. It was fun. I really miss you.
Love,
Roman

Dear Camp Family,
Today was my first ever experience with a rain storm. It came from something called “Hurricane Dolly”. I don’t know what that means, but it sounded like some kind of dolls were going to fall out of the sky. I do not know much about these storms, but I was very confused when water fell from the sky. I had to stay dry or my fur would get tangled and I did not have my brush with me. I did not go on the canoe trip because I do not know how to swim. I stayed in the van and watched the campers go down the river and they looked like they were playing bumper canoes. I know that when they got in the van, they were all wet and after a while they started to smell a little funny. I know that when I get wet, I am in the bath tub and I come out smelling clean, but they did not smell clean when they got out of that river! I cannot wait until tomorrow when we learn about frontier life! Log in!
Sincerely, Shug Silverback Gorilla

Dear Mom,
The canoe trip was fun. I had lots of fun. It was raining. I got all wet. We went seining. We went on an obstacle course. We were going to camp, but it rained. We were in the south Llano river and in Junction. I miss you a lot.
Love,
Tristan S.

Dear Mom and Terran,
The canoe trip was so fun and bumpy. Sometimes it was so scary because we almost flipped over. Overwise it was the most fun canoe trip I ever had.
Love,
Lainny

Dear Family,
The canoe trip was a fun ride. It was a 30 minute ride! I had fun!!
Love,
Taylor

Dear Mom and Dad,
The canoe trip was fun and the scary part was when we hit the branch we almost fell over. And the fun part was when we ride down the rapids.
Love,
Christian

Dear Mom and Dad,
The canoe trip was very fun and exciting. I rode with Colton and Katie. But it started raining and had to go.
Love,
Anthony G.

Dear Mom and Dad,
The canoe trip was very fun. IT was scary when we almost bumped into the tree branches. It was really fun when we got to go down the rapids. It was a really fun day!
Love,
Cheyene

Dear Family and Cheeser,
The canoe trip was awesome! The scary part was when it looked like we were going to get caught in the branches. The fun was when we crashed in other canoes and splashed people. It was the best day ever.
Love,
Klara

Dear Mom,
The canoe trip was fun and exciting and we fished and we swam and I had a great time.
Love,
Jairo

Dear Mom and Dad,
The camping trip was AWESOME! I thought the scariest part was when Miss Crystal’s boat pushed us into a wall full of bugs and the most fun part was going the rapids.
Love,
Chris B.

Dear Mom,
The canoe trip was very fun. We tried to flip the boat, but we didn’t. We didn’t get to go camping because of the rain.
Lorie

Dear Mom,
We went to the Llano River and we went canoeing and it was raining and at the river we were suppose to camp there, but we couldn’t camp there because it rained too much and I love you very much.
Love,
Ramon

Dear Mom and Dad and Louie and Isabella,
The canoe trip was very fun. It was like four or five miles and I got to see a baby deer and fish.
Love,
Joey

Dear Mom,
The canoe trip was fun. It felt scary, but it was so fun because we tied another boat, but I like the canoe trip.
Love,
Jesus

Dear Mom,
The canoe trip was very fun. I got to fish too. I caught a few black tale shiners. I got to float in the river. We didn’t get to camp out because it rained too much. I love you mommy.
Love,
Heaven

Dear Family,
The canoe trip was scary but after we started going down the river it was alright. We crashed into other boats. It was fun but I thought we were going to flip over. I was glad we were back to shore. I wish you were there mom.
Rhea W.

Dear mom
The canoe trip was scary exiting it was fun mom. I got my clothes wet we had to because we had to practice floating we were going camping in tents but we didn’t because of the weather I love you I miss you my brother did not cry I’m surprised bye.
maria m.

Dear Mom and Dad,
The canoe trip was hard because I always got stuck. We went fishing with a net and Jordan got all the fish. In the last part a counselor told him to give me the fish. Then it slipped through the little square. See you later!
Love Jack

DEAR MOTHER OF ME,
The conoe trip was fun even though it rained, we kept twisting around.
I had a very good time.
Alexis G.

Dear Momma,
Today the conoe trip was fun. I really miss everybody. We also got wet and it was cold.Today was an ok trip
CharryonS.

Dear Mom And Dad,
The canoe trip was fun and exciting . Even The scary parts were fun. We didn’t get to campout because of the weather. I love you and I miss you.
Jess G.

Dear Mom, Dad, Grandma, and William,
The canoe trip was fun. It rained a lot but it was still enjoyable. We also got to go seining and swim. Having fun.
Bennett T.

Dear Mom and Dad,
The canoe trip was great we went for 30 minutes down the river because it started to rain we also fished which was went pretty great
Love
Yesenia C.

Dear mom and grandma,
The canoe trip was a lot of fun. I was a little scared at first but when I got used to it I felt a little better. I was at the front of the canoe and when I used the paddle to move it, it was hard. But the important thing is that I had fun and I was safe.
Love,
Athena A.

Dear mom
The canoe trip was fun. Everyone kept bumping into rocks and walls.everything about the canoe.trip was fun.after the canoe trip we went fishing. Me ,bennet, Tristan,and jesus were in the same group.we caught a lot of fish.
Isaac B.


8 Comments:

  • At July 24, 2008 at 11:49 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Dear Maria (Fina),

    Albert would like you to go back and try to catch him a tasty fish. If you cannot, he will still be happy to see you when you get back anyway.

    Love, Dada

     
  • At July 25, 2008 at 12:08 AM , Blogger Clarence said...

    Klara,
    Sounds like you were on a bumper canoe ride! Cool! Cheeser wants to know if you caught any fish? We're glad you had a good time.
    Mama & Daddy

     
  • At July 25, 2008 at 4:04 AM , Blogger Katrina said...

    Dear Jess,

    I'll bet the scary parts of your canoe ride were especially exciting! Maybe someday we'll get a chance to go canoeing, and you can teach me.

    I can't believe your week at camp is almost over. I can't wait to see you Saturday morning!

    Love you,
    MOM

     
  • At July 25, 2008 at 6:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi LK,
    I love to canoe. Glad that you like it too. Also glad for the rain. Hope you are not missing the forgotten poncho too much - sorry! We will see you soon.

     
  • At July 25, 2008 at 7:17 AM , Blogger Michelle Mynatt said...

    Will,

    Glad you had a good time on the river. I knew you would be good at canoeing. Sometime I'll have to tell you about a canoe trip Ms. Melissa and I took when we were in high school. I can't wait to see you tomorrow. Have fun.

    Love, Mom

     
  • At July 25, 2008 at 10:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Dear Roman & Ramon,

    Sounds like you had so much fun! KK is fine and I can't wait to see you tomorrow! Miss you two....

    Love,

    Mom

     
  • At July 25, 2008 at 10:12 PM , Blogger beatrice garza said...

    Hello Anthony,

    Hope you are having a great time.
    great group picture and the picture
    that was taken at the pool on wednesday. See you later.

    Love,
    Mom & Dad

     
  • At July 25, 2008 at 10:14 PM , Blogger beatrice garza said...

    Hi Anthony

    Hope you are having a great time
    I heard you were sick on Monday I am glad that you are feeling alot
    better. Great picture of your group hope to see you soon.

    Love,
    Your big brother

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home