} } Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp

Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp

Texas youth are gathering for a week at Fort McKavett to learn about the rich cultural heritage of Texas. "Old Stories, New Voices" provides students the opportunity to experience Native American, Hispanic, African-American and Anglo contributions to the history and culture of Texas!

Tuesday, July 22, 2008


Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Today was Hispanic Heritage Day at "Old Stories, New Voices." The day began with a beautiful sunrise over Fort McKavett and the sounds of Spanish music playing in the mess tent.



Campers learned about the uniform of the Spanish soldados who defended the presidio at San Saba in the late 1700s and the gear they carried, which was one-third of their weight!



They visited the Menardville Museum and heard a special presentation by the 2008 National History Day bronze medalist from Spring, Texas, who shared the experiences of her research about Presidio San Saba.

Later in the afternoon, campers learned about the importance of retablos, or paintings of saints, and their influence on Spanish settlers. They uncovered objects in the sand by participating in "Clues in the Dirt," and made flour and corn tortillas!

The day wrapped up with festive song and dance provided by Mariachi Alma Mexicana. Today was a wonderful celebration of Spanish heritage at the fort.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Describe one of the Hispanic Heritage activities you did today.

What was your favorite, and why?

Dear Mom and family,
Today I did a Hispanic heritage activity. It is called retablo . It is when you paint a religious picture. You could paint whatever you want and I drew a cross with God in the middle. I hope to see you soon.
Athena A.

Dear mom,
Today I went to the presideo and a girl showed us a project that she made and it was a mission. I took pictures of different stuff. I miss you. ilove you. see you soon. I drew something too but you will see it later.
maria m.

Dear Mom,
Today I got to do a lot of stuff. I heard about your leg. Good luck, love you. I had a fun time. See you Saturday.
Jess G.

Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I went to a museum we saw interesting stuff. We also made tortillas two different types flour and corn.We learned about more the Hispanic heritage .We ate enchiladas they where good hope your doing great.
Love
Yesenia C.

Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I went to the Mendarville Museum and the Presido de San Saba. I saw horses, dug up dirt and I had a lot of fun. Now I am going to see the Mariachi band perform. I love you!
Jack

Dear camp family,
Today was another exciting time at Fort McKavett. We learned all about Hispanic heritage in Texas. Since I am from Africa, this is quite a new experience for me. I learned about archeology, making corn and flour tortillas and painting retablos. I am excited that the Mariachi band will be performing tonight. I have never heard of them before and am curious to hear the music. Today was awesome and I cannot wait to learn about buffalos who turn into people (at least I think that is what “Buffalo Soldiers” means?) Log in tomorrow!
Shug the Silverback Gorilla

Dear mommy and daddy
Today I learned about Hispanic Heritage.I cared for the horses. We went to the museum from Menardville.I also herd a marachie band .I went hiking today to Springville.I love you a lot.
Gabriel R.

Dear Family,
Today I went to the museum. I had a good time!
Love,
Taylor

Dear Mom and Terran,
Today I made home made tortillas. They were so good I love you bye.
Love,
Lainny

Dear Mom,
Today I went to the museum and pet some horses.
Jairo

Dear Mom,
Today I we got for caps that are cool. I hope to see you soon and I love you very much. See you soon.
Ramon

Dear Grandma,

Today I studied Hispanic Heritage day we made some tortillas I made them just like you taught me. I made some Retablos I drew Mom and Dad. I also went to the Manard museum we saw something about how the Spanish helped the Indians. I saw some horses and fed them, pet them, and tomorrow hopefully we ride them. I did not know studying would have been so much fun. I will see you on my graduation day its on Saturday. I hope you are having so much fun. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!!!
With love your granddaughter ,
Odalys F.

Dear Family,
Today I went to the Menardville Museum. Before that, we went to the San Saba Apache mission. I did cooking, digging, and made retablos. I can’t wait to come home and tell you about it.
Love,
Klara

Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I made tortillas. I also learned about Hispanic heritage. We also learned about horses. It was a really fun day! I miss you very much.
Love,
Cheyene

Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I made a retablo of saint nicholas. When I get home, we can make tortillas now.
Love,
Coleton

Dear Mom,
Today I made tortillas. I also learned about horses. I got to listen to a Mariachi band. I had a fun day!!
Love,
Lorie

Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I painted on a retablo and went to the horses and learned what not to do with a horse and learned about the Spanish Solados.
Love,
Christian

Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I made a tortilla, and got to feed horses, and pet a deer!
Love,
Anthony

Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I went to the Presidio and the Menard museum. I learned a lot about the presidio battle, and will see a Mariachi band.
Love,
Chris B.

Dear Mom:
Today I made tortillas that were delicious. Mom I wish you were here to enjoy it with me. I enjoy the museum. I learned a lot of history about it. I cannot wait to come home so that I can tell you all about my trip.
Rhea W.

Dear Mom
Today I made corn and flour tortillas. I made a retablo and did archeology . We went to the presidio. I thought I would see you. We went to the museum. We learned horse safety. I miss you so much!!!!!!
Love
Tristan S.

Dear mom
Today I went to a museum. Then we made two different kind of tortillas and dug
Up old and new stuff then made arts and crafts. We also saw the mariachi
Band and learned about horses one of them did not have a eye
I miss you so much!!! Love you..
Jessica c.

Dear Mommy,
Today I got to visit the Menard museum .We also got to make tortillas. We made flour and corn. They tasted really good. I miss you a lot!!!
Love You:
Clayton

Dear Mom, Dad, Grandma and William,
Today I made flour and corn tortillas. We went to the Presidio and the Menard Museum. A mariachi band came and played for us. Having fun.
Bennett T.

Dear Mom:
Today I made tortillas. I painted and learned about horses. I visited the Menard Museum and visited the Presidio San Saba. I also painted a retablo. I might get to the spring.
Jorden (Isaiah)

Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I made tortillas, flour and corn. I’ve been eating good. I miss you so much.
Will M.

Dear Mom:
Today I made tortillas, retablo, and archeology.
Love you, bye!
Lanny

Dear Mom:
Today I made tortillas and it was good. I made you something. Then I went to see horses they were beautiful. I love you and I miss you.
Itzel

Dear Dad,
Today I learned a lot. We went to the Menard Museum. It was very nice. We made retablos. It was fun because got to sit and paint. We got to make flour and corn tortillas.
Love:
Jensen


Dear Mom:
Today I painted. We went back to Menard and went to the museum. We dug in the sand. We learned how to make regular tortillas and corn tortillas. We got to see the horses and the spring.
Love:
Heaven

Dear Mom:
Today I did tortillas. My favorite was when we painted.
Love:
Jesus

Dear Mom:
Today I went to Menard Museum and the Presidio San Saba. We came back. We got to paint. We had enchiladas for dinner.
Love,
Jade

Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I went to Menardsville and visited a museum and the presidio. We made retablos and tortillas too. We met some horses and fed them too. We’re going to ride them tomorrow. See you later. Jesus R.

Dear Momma,
Today I loved everything especially the cooking. I really miss you. Make sure no one is going in my room.

CharryonS.
Dear mom,
Today I made retablo it is a piece of wood or something that you can paint on or carve your belief or what is your favorite thing.
ALEXIS G.

DEAR MOM,
TODAY I MUSEUMN AND SAW A HOLE FROM A BULLET AND HELD CANNONS.THEN WENT TO A PRESIDIO AND LEARNED ABOUT WHAT THE SPANIARDS WORE IN BATTLE.AFTER THAT WE WENT ON A HIKING TRAIL AND LEARNED ABOUT HORSE SAFTEY.
ISAAC

Dear family,
Today I learned about Spanish heritage. We went to a museum and made tortillas. We also made retablos and mini artifact excavation.
P.S. Tell Steven to check the website.
Love ,
Kevin V.

Mama,
Hoy vi caballos y hicimos tortillas de maiz y de harina. Fuimos a un museo de historia y hize un retablo. Los extrano mucho y buenas noches.
Jaqueline R.

Dear Mom and Dad,
Today was Hispanic Day! I went to Menard County Museum. I learned about horses, made tortillas and listened to mariachis! It was fun. I miss you!
Write to you later,
Maria (Fina) S.

Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I played Red Rover, jump rope and Chinese jump rope. It was really fun. A lady told us about horse safety.
P.S. I really miss you.
Tristan H.

Dear Mom and family,
Today I learned how to make tortillas and we played a game called Red Rover. I really miss y’all. I love y’all.
Rabian M.

Dear Mom /Dad/Isabilla/Louie,
Today I liked the museum because of all the arrow heads. Now I will like to make one.
Love,
Joey S.

Dear Mom,
Today I saw horses and the teacher told me to get the hay for the horses. The hay gave me bumps on my arms and the nurse gave me some Benadryl, but I’m okay.
Arthur L.

Dear Mom,
Today I got a new hat. I got to see horses and a baby deer. Tomorrow I will get to pet the baby deer.
Roman C.

Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I had a great day because it was Hispanic heritage day. I made flour tortillas and corn tortillas. I love you guys.
Viviana P.

Dear Mom, Elyssia, and Grandma,
Today I played Chinese jump rope. I got to feed a horse and pet a deer like Bambi. I love you.
Isaac E.

8 Comments:

  • At July 22, 2008 at 11:57 PM , Blogger Clarence said...

    Klara

    Sounds like you a had busy and intresting day. I bet you are having lots of fun. Be safe & enjoy every minute of it. We will see you soon.

    Love Daddy & Momma

     
  • At July 23, 2008 at 1:02 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Fina,

    We're glad you got to learn a little more about our background. The people you learned about today are the key to your past.

    I hope you appreciate tortillas a little more, and think about how your ancestors were born of European and Native American traditions, shaped by the environment of Texas.

    Even a few hundred years later, your mother sang as a mariachi to work herself through college on the way to becoming a computer programmer.

    We love you and miss you.


    Love,

    Mama and Dada

     
  • At July 23, 2008 at 2:11 AM , Blogger Katrina said...

    Dear Jess,
    I'm glad you enjoyed the day. It's so important to learn about your background. Now, if only they had a Czech day, huh?:) Yes, the doctor says my leg's doing well, so you don't have to worry. Just enjoy the rest of your week!
    Love,
    MOM

     
  • At July 23, 2008 at 7:42 AM , Blogger Michelle Mynatt said...

    Will,

    So glad to hear that you learned to make tortillas. Will you make some for us when you get back home? Today is "soldier day" and I think that will be your favorite. Have fun and be smart. We love you so much.

    Mom and Dad

     
  • At July 23, 2008 at 2:37 PM , Blogger Grandpa and Grandma Ping said...

    Roman and Ramon,

    We are so happy you boys are having such a good time at camp.
    We love you and miss you.

    Love,
    Grandpa and Grandma Ping

     
  • At July 23, 2008 at 4:16 PM , Blogger CEJH said...

    Hey Boys! I am so glad you are having fun. I can't wait for ya'll to show me how to make tortillas! I hope to see a picture of you on the blog page soon...I miss you two! It sounds like you are very busy...so thank you for writing. I look forward to checking it every day. I can't wait to see you. Keep having fun!!

     
  • At July 23, 2008 at 8:51 PM , Blogger cynthia-mom said...

    hi athena, i just wrote to you and wanted to write again. glad your enjoying yourself, be safe, see you soon.-love- mom,dad,izzak,rhys,and wolfgang

     
  • At July 23, 2008 at 10:37 PM , Blogger Diana said...

    Odalys

    How are you doing this is Dianna...i know i know you miss me its ok hahahaha...

    this is Manuel "hi" :)

    Esta es tu madre...te extraño mucho y te quiero mucho :)


    fer...piensa que andas en suchil...


    Me dad esta alla abajo enojado con meño por prestar la moto..so he cant write anything haha

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home