
Wednesday, July 23, 2008
Today was Buffalo Soldier day at Fort McKavett. Campers were issued official blue military hats and learned about the daily routine of soldiers who first occupied the fort in 1852. After the Civil War, the 9th Cavalry and 24th Infantry were stationed at Fort McKavett and were the first African-American troops to occupy this West Texas fort.
Campers learned official procedures for guard duty and manual of arms from the Texas Buffalo Soldiers, practiced their target skills and prepared for cavalry duty at the stables.
Just as the soldiers would have done on a hot summer afternoon, campers relaxed with a game of baseball. But this game was played with 19th century rules!
We wrapped up the day with a dip in the pool and evening entertainment provided by Early B. Teal and the Texas Buffalo Soldiers.
What did you learn from the Buffalo Soldiers today?
Tell someone at home about your favorite activity.
Dear Mom & Dad,
Today was Buffalo Soldiers day! We rode horses, listened to buffalo soldiers, used BB guns, played 1800 style baseball and we won! We also went swimming. It was soooooooooo fun! Write to you later!
Love,
Maria,[Fina]
Dear Mom,
Today I learned how the Buffalo Soldiers survived on the road. I also got to use a BB gun.
Jade T.
Dear Family,
Today we had Buffalo Soldiers teach us some stuff. We went BB shooting and I made a bull’s eye! We also rode horses and played baseball…and we won!!
KevinV.
Dear Mom and Terran,
Today I rode horses and I saw a pallamino. I also rode some really pretty horses today and that was so fun and we played 19th century baseball. I made two home runs.
Love,
Lainny
Daer Mom/Dad/Louie/Isabella,
Today I learned about Buffalo Soldiers. I really liked the BB guns.
Joey S.
Dear Mom, Dad and Trey,
Today we shot bb guns. We rode horses. We marched with wooden guns.
P.S. I really miss you
Tristan
Dear Mom,
Today I shot BB guns and it was fun because I haven’t shot a BB gun in a while. I hit the target three times.
Arthur L.
Dear Mom and Elyssia,
Today I learned new commands and I learned more about BB guns. I also went horseback riding. I love you.
Isaac E.
Dear Mom,
Today I learned about Buffalo Soldiers. Did you know Buffalo Soldiers make a lot of money? Oh, and I also wanted to say that I love you.
Rabian
Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I had a great day! I learned to march with the Buffalo Soldiers and I went swimming.
Viviana P.
Dear mom,
Today was fun. We played old time base ball, and we were also planning to camp out side tomorrow night.
Alexis G.
Dear Mom,
Today I listened to stories from the Buffalo Soldiers. We shot B-B guns. We went swimming again. I had an awesome day!
Love,
Lorie K.
Dear Mom and Dad,
Today we learned about Calvary horses, got to ride horses, we went swimming again, and some people came and told us stories about Buffalo Soldiers.
Love,
Chris B.
Dear mom,
Today I rode a horse and a bb gun and marched.
Love,
Jairo
Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I rode a horse and learned how to hold a gun. I also learned how to shoot a BB gun lying down and lean why the Buffalo Soldiers exist.
Love,
Christian
Dear Mom,
Today it was Buffalo Soldier day, and we rode a horse. At the end of the day was a storm and I love you very much.
Love,
Ramon
Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I learned a lot about Buffalo Soldiers. We got to ride horses and play baseball. We also got to listen to the Buffalo Soldiers tell stories. It was really fun.
Love,
Cheyene
Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I learned more about the Buffalo Soldiers than what I knew. I learned about three different Buffalo Soldiers who did horse safety, BB gun practice and practice marching with them with wooden rifles. My favourite was the horse safety.
Love,
Klara
Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I learned about Buffalo Soldiers, and how they lived, and how they kept in touch. We learned they used special mirrors and guns. We also learned about what they ate.
Love,
Anthony
Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I learned about Buffalo Soldiers. We got to ride horses too! Whenever we shot the BB guns I shot a bull’s-eye. I miss you a whole bunch.
Love,
Coleton
Dear Grandma and Family,
Today I rode my first horse. It was very bumpy. It was kind of easy to control the horse, but the second time I tried it went and ate the grass. I loved it a lot. I hope to see you soon.
Athena A.
Dear Mom,
Today I had the best time at camp. I learned how to ride horses, march like an infantry soldier, how Buffalo Soldiers lived. And I got to shoot a bb gun. LOVE YOU.
Jess G.
Querida Mama y Papa,
Hoy nos subimos en caballos, ydimos como 5 vueltas. Despues disparamos pistolas como la de Jaziel a unos papeles. Luego aprendimos como marchar con pistolas.
Cuando fuimos a la alberca pude nadar desde los tres pies hasta los cinco.
Los extrano mucho, buenas noches!!
Jaqueline R.
Dear mommy and daddy,
Today I learned about Buffalo Soldiers.I played baseball today and I got a homerun and I got to go swimming.I rode on a horse today.I shot a bibi gun today and I got it in the target.I love you mommy and daddy.
Gabriel R.
DEAR MOM,
TODAY ILEARNED ABOUT BUFFALO SOLDIERS.BUFFALO SOLDIERS GET THEIR NAME FROM THE NATIVE AMERICANS BECAUSE THEY FOUGHT LIKE BUFFALO. MY FAVORITE ACTIVITY WAS SHOOTING THE GUNS AT THE TARGETS.
ISAAC B.
Dear Mom,
Today I went to the water park again. I rode horses I rode one named A&E he is really smooth , but bumpy too. Although he was not the horse I wanted to ride he was pretty cool and he obeyed to every thing I said. I did lots of activities I shot B.B guns , learned how to ride horses , to march with rifles ,but they were wooden ,speaking and listening to real Buffalo Soldiers . I hope to seeing you on Saturday. I LOVE YOU MOM.
Love,
Odalys F.
Dear Mom and Dad
Today I rode some . The horse I rode was named Nevada. We shot some targets with BB guns. We also learned a lot about the Buffalo Soldiers. Bye!
Jesus R.
Dear Mom,
Today I got to ride horse. I talked to soldiers. I miss you. It is raining hard. I hope to see you soon`.
Roman
Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I had lots of fun. I forgot to tell you that a Mariachi band came yesterday. Today we rode horses and we also played baseball. We were also trained by the Buffalo Soldiers. Hope you’re doing great.
Yesenia
Dear Family,
Today I rode horses. It was a very bumpy ride. My horse didn’t want to carry me. I had fun.
Taylor
Dear Mom,
Today I learned about Buffalo Soldiers and life at Fort McKavett. I also rode a horse and learned horse safety and cavalry. It’s storming outside. I miss you and I’ll see you soon.
Love,
Tristan S.
Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I learned about Buffalo Soldiers. Buffalo Soldiers get their name because they fought like the buffalo. My favorite activity was shooting the guns at the targets. I Love you!
Jack
Dear Camp Family,
Today was another exciting day here at camp. I learned about Buffalo Soldiers and that they were not people who turn into Buffalo, but they were soldiers who were mistaken for the buffalo because of their appearance. I also shot something called a BB gun for the first time. I learned a lot from Mr. Steve about the safety of the guns. Tomorrow we are going on a canoe trip and I am excited about that! I do not know how to swim, but Miss Amanda told me that I would be wearing protective clothing. Log in tomorrow!
Shug the Silverback Gorilla
Dear mom ,
Today learned about buffalo soldiers buffalo soldiers because they fought like buffalo I shot B.B guns i got on a horse it was bumpy but it was fun hen I went swimming I love you and miss you have fun I hope to see you soon take care don’t yes im putting sunscreen.
Love
maria.m
Dear Mom, Dad, Grandma, and William,
Today I Rode Horses. Igot to shoot BB guns, too. We also learned how to march with a wooden rifle. After dinner, some story tellers came and performed for us. Having Fun!!!
Bennett T.
Dear Family,
Today I had a good day .I shot B-B guns and I play nineteenth century baseball. We also went swimming guess what I learned how to swim. Today was another goodday
Charryon S.
Dear Mom:
Today I rode horses. I learned about the Buffalo Soldiers. I learned how to be a guard in the army. We went back to Menard to swim again. I love you mommy.
Love,
Heaven
Dear Mom:
Today I learned about Buffalo Soldiers and shot some BB guns. Then learned about how to march and rode horses and learned about them. Then played baseball and went swimming and heard stories about Buffalo Soldiers.
Love,
Jessica C.
Dear Mom:
Today I learned about riding a horse and shoting BB guns.
Love,
Jesus M.
Dear Mom and Dad:
Today I learned about Buffalo Soldiers. We played Baseball and swam. Miss you a lot!
Will M.
Dear Dad:
Today I learned about horse safety. We were rode horses, it was so much fun. We also did marching drill, that was very tricky. Before we went to swimming, we played 19th Century Baseball.
Love,
Jensen
Dear Family:
Today I had fun because I rode a horse by myself. We played baseball, it was fun, but we didn’t win. We learned about Buffalo Soldiers. I wish my family was there to enjoy the fun with me.
Rhea W.
Dear Mom:
Today I was shouting a BB gun, and it was fun. But the best thing was riding a horse, and that was fun too. So I will see you on Sunday. I love you.
Itzel M.
Dear Mom:
Today I rode horses, a lot it was fun. I also got a calvary hat, shoot a BB gun, marched with a wooden gun, and talked about how it was to be a Buffalo Soldier. I love you, bye.
Lanny M.
Dear Mommy:
Today it was Buffalo Soldier day. We got to shoot BB guns, and ride horses. I was really good, and I didn’t even need a leader. I miss you!
Clayton
6 Comments:
At July 23, 2008 at 11:23 PM ,
Unknown said...
Dear Maria (Fina),
You sound like you've had a busy and enjoyable time today. When you learn by seeing and doing, the knowledge will stay with you so much better than when you just read about it in a book.
Your mother and I have told everyone about your adventures and they can't wait to hear about them from you in person.
Love,
Mama & Dada
At July 24, 2008 at 1:09 AM ,
Anonymous said...
Dear Roman & Ramon,
I bet it was fun riding horses today! It rained in Austin but not our house. I saw Avery, Brandon,and Mikey today. They all said to say hi. See you soon. Love and miss the both of you!
Love,
Mom
At July 24, 2008 at 7:28 AM ,
Michelle Mynatt said...
Will, Jess, & Alexis
I was so excited to see the pictures of ya'll and all of your new friends. I hope the canoe trip goes well and you don't get rained on, but no matter what I bet ya'll still have a lot of fun. Take care.
Love, Mom/Michelle
At July 24, 2008 at 7:46 AM ,
Anonymous said...
Lorie Kaye!
Love the photos! So glad that you are having such a nice time. Can't wait to hear all the details.
Love ya :) Mom
At July 24, 2008 at 8:07 AM ,
Alana said...
Jess:
It sounds like you are having a blast! I bet horseback riding and shooting the bb gun was awesome. Branna and I are jealous that we can't be there, too! :) We can't wait to hear about all the fun details, especially about canoeing!
love,
Alana
At July 24, 2008 at 10:56 PM ,
Diana said...
Lalys:
Te extraño tanto mi niña, como te has portado? espero que muy bien y tus alergias? es lo que mas me preocupa que te haya dado alergia y no puedas disfrutar plenamenta este paseo inolvidable.
como sea esperamos pronto tu regreso tu hermana se va a su camp mañana pero solo por 3 dias.
te esperamosy te queremos mucho.
tu mama.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home