} } Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp

Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp

Texas youth are gathering for a week at Fort McKavett to learn about the rich cultural heritage of Texas. "Old Stories, New Voices" provides students the opportunity to experience Native American, Hispanic, African-American and Anglo contributions to the history and culture of Texas!

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

July 21, 2009

Will:
Today I milked a cow and made ice cream and butter and an apple cobbler. We went swimming in Menard. I miss you a lot.
Love, Will.

Rhea:
I like how we have gotten to ride our own horses and control them by ourselves. I liked how we made our own cobbler and ice cream. We had fun playing games this afternoon, and going swimming at the pool.

Tristan:
We woke up very early today to take care of the horses. Then, we went to breakfast. After that we rode horses. I lost my cap. Then, we went to lunch. Then we milked a cow and made ice cream. We learned how to cook cobbler, and then I got to ride horses again, which was fun. Those horses are cool. Then I went to the pool, where I washed my hair. We then went back to Fort McKavett. We dressed, then went to dinner, and now I’m blogging.

Jensen:
This morning we went to take care of the horses before we went out to breakfast. It made me feel really good that we put them before us, because they are very important. We got to make our own feed from scratch, and we also got to milk the cow-it was a breathtaking experience. We got to play many games, including hoops, graces, and sack races. I can’t wait to see what’s in store for us tomorrow.

Heaven:
Today I got up and I learned how to take care of the horses. After that I sewed together some pieces of cloth for a quilt. It turns out we are making the Texas flag out of our cloth pieces. My favorite quilting teacher, Miss Laurie, taught me how to sew together the pieces. I got to ride Blue today. He always stays behind Melissa, the Rancher. It kind of scared me because he kept trying to get in front of her and wander off. But his eyes were beautiful. They were blue; that’s why they gave him the name. I also made ice cream from milk and sugar. It was pretty good. I made mixed fruit cobbler-too much water got in it, so I was only able to use the top. I also got to milk a Jersey cow, named Sugar. We had cheese enchiladas for dinner, and I ate a lot!!! I got to see my baby sister and my mom today, at the pool in Menard. I think my mom is very beautiful and has rockin’ hair, and so does Korah. We marched a lot, and we have a cool new song that Miss Laurie made. Ezra threw me at the pool. It was fun. He is my friend. Go Ezra!
Love, Heaven.

Maddy:
Today we use machines and along time ago they didn’t. We need muals, horses, and cows today to grow food. Today people don’t have to make butter or bread. My family goes to Wal-mart for food. I enjoyed visiting the animals first thing in the morning. Today I rode on Mexico. I don’t like getting on.
Love Maddy.

Fina:
Most of our food is ready-made and most people don’t have to milk their own cows and collect eggs from hens. Eggs, milk, butter can be bought in a store. We also need meat from animals like cows, pigs, and sheep. I’m sure my ancestors made their own food but my family does not. We go to the store and we also have a garden in our backyard where we grow herbs and vegetables. I have two dogs and three cats. I don’t take care of them even though I should. This morning I was tired when we visited the horses but I love the animals! I do enjoy horseback riding. I enjoy exploring. I don’t like climbing on the tall, tall, tall horses. Some horses started eating grass on the ride today.
Love, Fina

Jade:
We use cars instead of horses and wagons. The games have changed a lot and the way they cooked. Today we still cook with lard, milk, baking powder, salt, flour, and butter. Cows and other farm animals are also used. My family sometimes makes different kinds of enchiladas. We buy are groceries at Super S. My favorite part is horseback riding but I always get a wedgies! Love, Jade

Rabian:
Today we buy our food in the stores instead of making food from scratch. We made butter, bread, and ice cream today. My grandma makes homemade tortillas and gumbo. My Mom makes famous breakfast burritos. My uncle makes his special spaghetti. We buy all our food from the store. I always take care of my dogs first just like we did the horses today. I enjoy horseback riding. My most favorite thing about riding is you don’t have to walk and you get to spend time with your horse. My least favorite thing about horseback riding is you have to get on top of it.
Love you, Rabian

Kevin:
Today we use newer equipment and we buy food from the store. My family goes to HEB. Today we use flour, sugar, shortening, milk just like the settlers. They had to make their own. I have a puppy named Ruby. I always take care of him in the morning. I loved riding horses my favorite part was getting to know the horse.
Love, Kevin

Joey:
They didn’t have electricity but today we do. Today we still use pigs, cows, hens, and flour. My family buys its food from a store. I like going to visit the horse before breakfast. I enjoyed riding fast.
Love, Joey

Arthur:
We started using the stove and electrical freezers. A long time ago they would milk cows, and spin butter. Today we need animals to help produce food including cows, deer, chickens, and pigs. We still can make our own butter, bread and ice cream. Sealy’s family still make their own food. My family still get their food from a grocery store. I don’t have any pets at home. I enjoyed feeding the animals and helping even before breakfast. YES, I enjoyed horseback riding my most favorite part. You can kick it and make it go faster. And I know how to work the reins. Love, Arthur

Tristan:
We use more machines and we buy stuff from Walmart. Today, we still use lard, sugar, butter, milk, salt, and baking powder. We shop at HEB. We have lots of animals horses, sheeps, goats, and dogs. I help take care of my animals. I enjoyed horseback riding.
Love, Tristan

Vivann:
Today we use machines to get milk from cows instead of using our hands. We still need cows and we use milk to make bread. People mostly get our food from the store. It was fun to be around big animals. I liked the cow. The horse didn’t do what I wanted. It wouldn’t slow down.
Love, Vivann

Jordan/Isaiah:
At home I have 3 horses that I have to take care of before I can take care of myself, especially at my uncle’s ranch. Today, it was kinda fun to go and see the horses. My favorite thing today was to control the horses by myself. And every time we stop and they go the wrong way, we get to point them the right way.

Clayton:
Today we made cobbler in a dutch oven. It was really fun, and I made mine perfect! We also rode horses but this time by ourselves, it was really fun too. We also milked a cow and made ice cream. Miss you a lot.
Love, Clayton

Lanny:
Today we fed the horses, then we ate breakfast. Afterwards, we went to a presentation about goats, longhorns, and sheep. Then I rode a blue like horse and ate lunch and milked a cow. With the milk we made butter and ice cream that came from the cow. Then we cooked pie and cleaned out the stove we used to cook. After all of that we went swimming and ate dinner.

Itzel:
Today we went to go milk the cow and it was weird. We made ice cream and butter with the milk. We made food from scratch and rode horses. That was so fun! But some of the horses were sorta crazy. We also played activities outside such as hoops and graces. We also had sack races.

Jesus:
In the morning we went to feed the horses, then we went to eat breakfast. Then we went to do activities, then we rode the horses. I rode one horse named batman. I tried to stop him but he did not want to until I pulled harder. We also went swimming and came back to the fort, where we ate dinner.

Zach B.:
Dear Mom,
We rode horses today. We had lots of fun. We made yeast bread and then we got to eat it! And we milked a cow, and the cow knocked over the bucket of milk. We help to make ice cream. We had a really fun day! The end.

Dalton:
What’s up guys? Today we rode horses and learned about ranch life. We made our own food from scratch. We also went swimming and I did not swim very much. But I had fun anyways. I am excited for tomorrow, can not wait to get back!

Bennett:
Dear Family,

I am having lots of fun. We rode the horses today and made biscuits from scratch. We also went swimming at the Menard pool. I think I am ready for the trail ride tomorrow. I am excited and can’t wait to see you guys.

Jakayly:
Dear Family,

I rode horses out around the fort and I had lots of fun. And I really can’t wait until we can do it again tomorrow. We’re going on the trail tomorrow and we got to get lots of sleep tonight. I’ve met new friends and I helped my mom make butter today and we ate ice cream. We also learned how the teacher worked and now we been journaling. And I had a really lot of fun today!

Maria:
Dear Mom,

Today I went horseback riding and I had a lot of fun! My horse kept on trying to sniff the other horse’s bottom. I also cooked in a dutch oven and had fun. I made biscuits.

Athena:
Dear Mom and Dad,

I had a lot of fun today, we went horseback riding. It was kinda hard for me to get on the horse. We also cooked liked in the old days. We made biscuits and it was pretty good. I hope you have been well.
Love, Athena

Jack:
Dear Mom and Dad,

Today we rode on a horse around the fort. And we milked a cow like you said we would, even though I did not believe you. We made butter and ice cream like in the old days. We used a churn until the butter came out of the churn. And we also turned the buckets in which the ice cream was sitting in ice with salt and it was so cold, it made my hand numb! I wish you were here, and I hope you are feeling better! Love Jack (& Jackie & Steve)

Jess:
Dear Mom and Dad,

Today I did not get homesick, but my stomach did start hurting. I enjoyed horseback riding because I got to teach other kids how to ride the horse. I had fun today! I miss you a lot and love you bunches!

Alexis:
Dear Mommy,

Today we were getting ready to go riding on the trail with horses. I got a horse named Mexico and he listened to most of the commands that I told him to do. Sometimes he put his head down to eat grass. Out of all of this stuff, this makes me want to come back again and again. I hope I see you soon.

Isaac:
Dear Mom,

Today we rode horses, but this time it was training to get ready to ride on the trail. After that, we milked a cow. Then we played some games and went swimming.

16 Comments:

  • At July 21, 2009 at 9:44 PM , Blogger Katrina said...

    Jess,
    Looks like camp is turning out great this year. Your dad and I miss you, but we know you're having a blast. See you Friday.
    Love,
    Mom, Dad, and Fiddles

     
  • At July 21, 2009 at 9:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Lorie Kaye,
    Hope you had a prettier day today. I will go to ranch on Friday. Grandpa or I will pick you up on Saturday morning. Enjoy the trail ride! Love you!!!

     
  • At July 21, 2009 at 10:10 PM , Blogger Michelle Mynatt said...

    Will,
    Your sisters are having a few girls over tonight and I told them I was sure you wouldn't mind them using your room.(just joking) The cobbler sounds good, you will have to make some for us when you get home. Hope you have a great day tomorrow.

    We love you,
    Mom, Dad & your sisters

     
  • At July 21, 2009 at 10:19 PM , Blogger Clarence said...

    Klara,

    How are you doing? I see you in some pictures but you haven't been blogging. Have fun on your trip :)

    Love you & miss you,
    Daddy

     
  • At July 21, 2009 at 10:55 PM , Blogger LILIA PEREZ said...

    Hi my love,

    Karina says hi!! and that she misses her little sister, but we can see how much fun you are having with the horse (since we know how much you love them.) We notice that you have lots of friends around you and we hope to see you back on Saturday (Kary wants me to remind you about the surprise she is working on for you!! we know you'll like it.) well we will talk to you later, love Mom, Kary and you know who (hint: white, furry, and poops everywhere.)

     
  • At July 22, 2009 at 9:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    DEAR CHIMO (ALEXIS)

    GLAD YOU ARE HAVING FUN. MINGO AND I MISS YOU BOOMER TOO. HOPE TO SEE YOU SOON.

     
  • At July 22, 2009 at 10:54 AM , Blogger MamaRabian said...

    Hi Rabian. Titus has been trying to call u. I guess taking care of those horses brings back memories of when u had ur own horse huh? Looks like ur having a really good time. We love u and miss ya! Have fun babe.

     
  • At July 22, 2009 at 5:14 PM , Blogger Martha said...

    Tristan S.
    Hey sweetheart, hope your trip is going smooth. I'm a little worried with the storms, so I hope you are well protected. I'm so glad that you are having fun and learning a lot. Can you please put Tristan S. by your name, I think there might me more than one Tristan so I'm not sure which one is you.

    Love Mom

     
  • At July 22, 2009 at 7:52 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Fina,

    We miss you and hope you aren't getting rained on too much. You sound like you're learning a lot. Have a great time on the trail.

    Love,

    Dad and Mom

     
  • At July 22, 2009 at 9:41 PM , Blogger Mom said...

    Hi Chris (Company A)
    It's Dani here. I just wanted to say that I miss you and I hope you are having very much fun. Love, your sister.

    Chris, I am missing playing with you. See you on Saturday! Love your brother, Roy.

    Chris, most of the kittens have their eyes open now. The dogs are doing fine and so are the goats. LOL, MOM and DAD

     
  • At July 22, 2009 at 9:43 PM , Blogger Mom said...

    Tristan H.

    Howdy from Granny and Grandpa. It was great seeing you this morning at the trail drive. I bet you are having the time of your life! Have fun and see you on Saturday.

    Much Love,
    Granny H

     
  • At July 22, 2009 at 9:46 PM , Blogger Mom said...

    Jakayly,

    Hey girl. It's Dani here. I had fun at the sleepover. I bet you are having fun aren't ya? Love,Dani B.

    Jakayly,

    Can you make me some ice cream? Have fun...Lisa Brown

     
  • At July 22, 2009 at 9:47 PM , Blogger Mom said...

    Bennett,

    Howdy Buddy! I hope you are having a good time and staying dry. Have fun,

    Lisa Brown

     
  • At July 22, 2009 at 9:48 PM , Blogger Mom said...

    Amanda,

    Howdy Lady! I hope this note finds you having a great time. Thanks for helping.

    Love,
    Lisa Brown

     
  • At July 22, 2009 at 9:50 PM , Blogger Mom said...

    Jon H.

    Howdy Camper! I hope you are having a good time wrangling kids. Thanks for helping.

    Lisa Brown

     
  • At July 22, 2009 at 9:52 PM , Blogger Mom said...

    Anthony,

    Howdy Camper! Did you get a little wet on the drive today? Can you imaagine what life must have been like back when? Have a great time.

    Lisa Brown

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home