} } Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp

Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp

Texas youth are gathering for a week at Fort McKavett to learn about the rich cultural heritage of Texas. "Old Stories, New Voices" provides students the opportunity to experience Native American, Hispanic, African-American and Anglo contributions to the history and culture of Texas!

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Sunday, July 19, 2009



Company D

Tristan:
Today I reunited with my friends. We started with deciding our company name, which, after discussion, was the Company D Diablos. We wrote in our journal and then we headed to the barracks. We found our beds, then we went to Retreat, then ate food. And now I’m blogging.

Heaven:
I feel very happy being able to see all of my friends that don’t live near Menard. I’m having a blast with them and some might not have been able to make it this year, but most of them have, so I am happy with that. We played lots of games today. We lowered the flag before supper. We were able to hear from the Colonel, and learn about the flag colors and stripes of different countries. We ate a good dinner-it was delicious! And now we’re having lots of fun and I can’t wait until tomorrow!

Rhea:
I love to reunite with my friends and I liked it when we were lowering the flag. We played different games with our friends and the counselors. The food for dinner was really good. We had fun making the whirligigs.

Lanny:
It’s fun and awesome returning to camp. We ate awesome dinner and played with humming buttons. I met up with most of my friends and had fun.

Clayton:
It’s been fun so far. I love the food again, and it’s really hot. The ride was horrible because it took seven hours to get here in the van, but the rest of the week we are going to have a lot of fun.

Jensen:
I’ve had fun, so far. I think it will be fun to learn about horses, cowboys, and living life on the trail. It will be fun to have a similar experience to what kids 100 years ago had to go through. Even through the challenges it will be a life experience to learn how to overcome them. I think I will learn a lot more than I have in any other week.

Itzel:
It feels great coming back because we are going to do new things and learn new things. I met new friends and I’m really excited to be here.


Isaiah:
I am going to learn how to ride horses. I just learned how to make a humming button, and I really like the food. I think I will learn about the pioneer kids who lived 100 years ago.

Will:
Today we got here, unpacked, and we learned about all of the soldiers’ uniforms. We ate. That’s all that I’ve done so far. And I really miss you, mom and dad.

Jesus:
We came, got our luggage, then left it outside. We came into a classroom. Then we went out and got our luggage and put it in the van again. We went to our cabin and then we went to the room, and the luggage was there. We made our beds and rested. Then we went outside to get water. We went inside, drank some water, then went outside. The man was talking about all kinds of stuff, and then we took the flag down. Then we were dismissed, and we went to eat lunch. While we were waiting we played some games, then washed our hands and ate. Now we are writing stories about what happened. I feel good that I came back, because I saw my friends again.





Company A
Devyn:

This is my first time here and I’m already having a good time. I’m learning about the past and how they lived differently then we are living now.


Lainny:

I feel happy to meet new friends and to be with the old ones I met last time and I think it will be fun this year too. I’m very excited to meet new friends and I always want to learn new things.


Lorie:

I’m so excited to finally be returning to camp. I think we will learn a lot about horses and the pioneer times. I have reunited with my buddies from last year and I’ve met a few new people.


Taylor:

I feel good to return back to camp with my old friends. I feel happy and I’m having fun at camp. Meeting new people is good because you get to learn things about the people that you never knew.


Klara:

So far I am so excited about tomorrow. Nazy and I have finally reunited with our camp friends and I’m positive we will have more fun ever day.


Anthony:

I feel good seeing all my old friends and I’m ready to go on the wagon train and sleep on the ranch.


Chris:

Bonjour mother and father. I have had a repeating experience of last year’s first day. I feel very excited about reuniting with old friends. I do believe this year will be more fun then last year, but not as fun as next year if I go.
Love,
Chris


Cheyene:

Dear mom and dad, today I had fun reuniting with all my friends. I think I will have good times at camp. Love, Cheyene



Coleton:

Dear parents, I’m having so much fun at my first day at old stories new voices. My group got to take the flag down today. Love, Coleton



Company B

Dear Mom,
I’m very excited to be at camp. I already miss you. The food is great we had chicken, fruit, mash potatoes, and cake. I think we are going to learn how people from 150 years ago live everyday. The drive was long but nice. I saw a really long river.
Love
Rabian


Dear Mom & Dad
I met a new friend named Maddy. I already miss you and was really sad at first. Some of my old friends are here to from last year.
Love, Vivann

Dear Parents
Today was a very awesome day. I missed and love you. We visited the fresh water spring I told you about. We ate a good meal with chicken and cake.
Love,
Kevin

Dear Mom & Dad
I had fun today.
Love,
Jade

Dear Mom & Dad & James
I had fun today. I experienced something different than what I thought was going to happen. I walked to a fresh water spring I also get to sleep on a cot. AND you said I would never be able to.
Love
Maddy

Dear Mom & Dad
Today was very cool. We went to the springs and it was a lot of fun. We lowered the flag today. Tomorrow we will raise the flag. I sleep in a different room and not the buffalo room. I miss you.
Bye Bye
Fina

Dear Mom & Dad
Today we went to the springs. We lowered the flag. It was so much fun. Wish you could be here. Tomorrow we will also be putting up the flag.
Love and miss you
Joey

Dear Mom,
I am excited to come back to Fort McKavett so than I can learn more things about the people who stayed here. We visited the fresh water spring near the fort. I met up with some old friends from camp last year.
Miss you and Love you
Arthur

Company C:
Editor's note: Company C did their own word processing tonight. Spelling and grammar are in their original form :)

Dear Family, Today was very interesting. We made a Whirly Gig which is basically a button on a string. It seems like you are so far away yet you are just down the road. Having fun.
Bennett Treadwell

Dear guys, what’s up!!! Today we basically set up and got ready for everything we’re going to do for the next couple days. Kind of a slow day but I’m ready for tomorrow, because I get to strum the other companies at some baseball. Wish ya’ll were here.
Dalton Boles

Dear mom were having really fun we mostly drove. When we got here we made button whirly-gig there really cool. We eat really good the food is good. I will see you Friday.
Zachary bechtold

Dear mother of me, to day was cool and full of fun it felt very cool to be here again with known people to go walking to fort concho together. It was cool. SEE YOU LATER. BY ALEXIS G.

I LEARNED HOW TO WORK A WHIRLY GIG .I MET A GIRL NAME ATHENA . I HAD A GREAT TIME TODAY .OK BY .BY JAKAYLY SEALY,

Dear Mom and dad, I met a new friend and her name is jakayly and we had fun together. When we arrived we had to get to other beds because they didn’t have any more left and I still got to sleep next to Klara. I had a great time today.
Love Athena

Dear Mom & Dad,
Hi! I had seeing all my friends from last year. We made whirly- gigs. It’s a button on a string and you twirl it and stuff. I can do this for hours! I caught to crickets so I got 2 jolly ranchers from Mr. Steve.
Love, Jack

Dear Mom,
Today we unloaded an got settled in.I caught a grasshopper and got a jolly rancher.I talked to all of my friends.Then we ate dinner.The van trip was pretty boring because I saw everything.
Isaac


Dear Mom & Dad,
I miss yall a lot I wish you could be councelars I really miss you. I hope you can see me early .Tell Fiddles I said Hi.
Love you bunches
Jess

Dear mom I miss you a lot you’re problaly lonely right now well just letting u know im already having lot of fun I’m sleeping next to itzel so u don’t have to worry about me im ok miss u a lot love u mom love maria

17 Comments:

  • At July 19, 2009 at 10:05 PM , Blogger Katrina said...

    Jess,
    Chill out and have a great time! You've got all your buddies there and your special counselors. Fiddles is fine. Of course, she's sleeping with us which is NOT so fine, but we'll manage. Thanks for the "gift". You will definitely get "gifted" when you get back home:)
    Love,
    MOM

     
  • At July 19, 2009 at 11:23 PM , Blogger LILIA PEREZ said...

    Hi Viviana:
    We are so proud of you, have lots of fun with your friends and learn everything you can. Sending you all our love and support Mom, Kary, grandma, Dad and of course PRINCESS!!! :-) xoxoxoxox

     
  • At July 19, 2009 at 11:33 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Fina,

    Thanks for the update. We miss you already. China, Snoopy, George, and the whole gang miss you as well.

    Love, Mom and Dad

     
  • At July 20, 2009 at 11:23 AM , Blogger CEJH said...

    Dalton, Coleton and Clayton,
    Glad you are having fun...keep writing! I love reading about all of your adventures! I miss you and love you.
    Heidi
    PS...it's raining here!!!

     
  • At July 20, 2009 at 1:53 PM , Blogger Mom said...

    Chris,

    Howdy Camper! It sounds like you are having a great time. I hope it is not storming too bad there. Have a great night.

    I love you,
    Mom

     
  • At July 20, 2009 at 3:39 PM , Blogger Paulchyink said...

    Dear Jack, I know you are having a good time at Camp. Please sign your full name so I know that you are the Jack posting notes. Did you catch two crickets and get two Jolly rancher candies? Love Dad (Paul Hyink)

     
  • At July 20, 2009 at 4:52 PM , Blogger cynthia-mom said...

    hey athena,wow ran out of beds huh. glad to hear they managed to get you one. hope your having a good time. saw you in the pictures. are you ready to ride horses? on the draft, it said yal would be going swimming today. hope you had fun, i know how much you like to swim. well looks like wolfy is up from his nap, so keep me posted. love you much, mom

     
  • At July 20, 2009 at 5:23 PM , Blogger Martha said...

    Tristan,
    Hey bud. Hope you are having an awesome time and are surviving the storms. WHen are you headed to San Angelo? Keep me updated everday. Miss you already. Nana says hi!!

    Love,
    Mom

     
  • At July 20, 2009 at 7:07 PM , Blogger MamaRabian said...

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At July 20, 2009 at 7:13 PM , Blogger MamaRabian said...

    Hi Rabian! I miss you so much! Im excited about all of the fun that you are having and the things that you are learning while you are away. So you caught five fish!? Wow! I saw some pics of you and you look great! Continue to have loads of fun and i will see you soon. Your family says hello and they miss you.

     
  • At July 20, 2009 at 7:36 PM , Blogger Nikki said...

    Maddy you can do anything you set your mind to. I very glad you are learning new things. I very proud of you and I love you very much. Have a good time. ---- Mommy

     
  • At July 21, 2009 at 7:00 PM , Blogger Ellie said...

    Klara,
    I saw a picture of you milking a cow! Cool! Did you get to do anything with the milk? I saw you with your favorite horses as well. Looks like it was a fun day. Are you ready for tomorrow???

    Love,
    Mama

     
  • At July 21, 2009 at 8:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At July 21, 2009 at 9:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hola bola hope ur haven fun i just wanted to say that i miss u


    love u
    mama

     
  • At July 22, 2009 at 10:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Lorie,
    I can't believe all the neat things you get to experience first-hand! I know you'll have stories and tales to share with us next week! Have fun.

    Love Aunt R

     
  • At July 22, 2009 at 12:04 PM , Blogger Paulchyink said...

    Dear Jack, Glad you are having a good time at camp..What have you liked the best this year at camp?
    Still hot in Austin. We miss you very much and can't wait to see you Sunday.

     
  • At July 22, 2009 at 9:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Lorie,
    Hope you are having loads of fun at camp! It has been raining alot here, and hope that it hasn't ruined your fun. We just thought we'd stop by and say hey! Enjoy the rest of your time at camp!
    :-)
    Love,
    Austin
    Dad
    Dee Dee
    and, Joseph

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home