} } Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp

Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp

Texas youth are gathering for a week at Fort McKavett to learn about the rich cultural heritage of Texas. "Old Stories, New Voices" provides students the opportunity to experience Native American, Hispanic, African-American and Anglo contributions to the history and culture of Texas!

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Thursday, July 23, 2009

*A note to parents:

Because of the nature of this year's Old Stories New Voices summer camp, many campers are not able to respond to specific blog comments left by parents. Since we've been out on the trail the past two days, campers have only had one mail call, unlike the multiple mail calls we had last year. But don't worry Mom, Dad, Grandma and Fido -- we're having a bunch of fun and we'll be sure to tell you all about it when we get home!!

Now on to today's blog entries...

Devyn: Today was awesome. Even though I didn’t ride a horse, it was fun. We did yoga to relax our bodies. We learned how to harness the Belgian draft horses. We learned about vaqueros and ate hardtack and carne seca. A soldado fired a musket. I made something out of wood.

Lorie: Today was fun but slow. Due to rain yesterday, activities got moved around. We learned about vaqueros and their lifestyle. I rode the horse named Jett for a mile and a half. We learned how to harness a draft horse. Col. Cobb talked about field mapping instruments of the old West.

Taylor: Today we had a cloudy day, but yesterday it rained. We had hardtack and beef jerky. We learned how to make rope. The Colonel taught us about things that soldiers : had to do. He had a dinosaur bone. There was a tablecloth make out of buffalo skin.

Lainny: I prefer riding a horse because I like riding a horse because it feels more comfortable for me. Branding is a way to claim your things like horses and cattle. They used it to claim their animals. Yes we still use branding today. On ranches we do that to our cattle and horses. The wrangles would brand their horses.

Cheyene: Dear mom and dad: Today was the second day of our trail ride. Even though we didn’t get to go to Lipan Springs, we still got to ride in the wagons, ride horses, and walk. It was really fun. Love, Cheyene.

Klara: I really enjoyed today, especially when we watered the horses. We got to learn about vaqueros. I ate hardtack and jerky. I got to look at different brands. I am ready for the ride to Fort Concho. I miss you and hope to see you soon.

Anthony: On the horses, it is fun! The vaqueros are also fun because they are the same as cowboys. We also watched a vaquero make rope.

Christopher: Dear Mom and Dad I had so much fun today. But we did not go to Liapon a Springs. I love you so much. I really hope tomorrow just flys by. Tomorrow we have to get in the vans and drive part of the way to Concho.
I miss you so very much!
Chris Brown

Coleton: I got to learn about the vaqueros and play a young Indian game. I really miss you a lot. Love, Coleton

Jade: Dear Mom
Today we rode horses, wagons, and walked. We also made rope and got to brand wood. The gun was old and used gun powder and flint. I enjoyed the apple pie cobbler for dessert. Love, Jade

Fina: Dear Mom & Dad,
Hi. I miss you. Today it rained like every other day. We rode about about 7 miles by wagon, horse, and foot. When we came back we packed up our tents. We ate dinner and went to a presentation on vaqueros. It was separated into three groups branding, weapons, and vaquero lifestyle. We got to eat hard tak and make some rope. Love, Fina

Viviana: Dear Mom and Dad, I’m feeling great today. I was riding horses and it felt great because I learned more about how to take care of horses. Vaquero are Hispanic cowboys. We know how they hunt, and their weapons. We learned about how they took care of cattle and made rope. I tried the hard -tak and beef jerky. The beef jerky was a little burnt. Love, Viviana

Maddy: Dear Mom, and James
I’m feeling red today. I learned how to take care of horses but I didn’t get to ride. I got to ride the wagons three times. So how is brother doing? Is he alright? So is he going to be happy when I get home? I learned about the vaquero and they are Hispanic cowboys. I got to eat hard-tak..its really hard. Don’t try it. We got to play a game where they tossed hoops back and forth. We threw cornhusk at the circles. I also learned how to load a gun. Love, Maddy

Joey: We get to put the saddles on the horses. It was very fun learning about Vaquero. They shot
guns. Today was long and I’m tired. Love, Joey

Rabian: I love to ride on the horses. Because you get to ride along. The vaquero are Spanish cowboys. I learned that they hunt for food and they make clothes. We also got to make rope and eat beef jerky. Branding is fun and its away to identify farm animals that belong to a certain group.
Love Rabian


Arthur: It felt good to ride a horse. The wagons were a lot of fun. I prefer riding the horse. It was easy to control where it was going. The Vaquero are Spanish cowboys. They had to hunt for their own food and make their own clothes. To make rope you have to use 3 pieces of flax. And use a machine and rope wrench to twist. Love, Arthur

Kevin: I feel awesome. The blue wagon is the best. I love riding the wagon. They are the best thing.
The weapon guy was really cool. Love, Kevin

Tristan: I felt good and I had a lot of fun today. We rode the horses longer today. It was cool today because we learned about the Vaqueros who were Spanish cowboys. They served near the Alamo. We learned to make rope. Love, Tristan

Dear Mom and Dad,
We rode on lots of wagons today. We learned about Vaqueros and we learned about Spanish history and we learned how to make rope. We watched branding and had a really good time today. See you tomorrow!
Love Jakayly

Dear Mom,
Today we rode on 2 wagons and I rode on a horse named Jett and I was behind Mr. Jon. We ate hard tack and beef jerkey. I walked for about 2 miles and my legs are tired because we walked the last time. I had a really good time today and I feel more confident on riding horses. Miss you Mom!
Love Maria

Dear Mom and Dad,
I learned about Vaqueros and we also made rope. We were going to do branding but the fire wasn’t hot enough. I didn’t get to ride a horse today after what happened. I hope you are doing well and I miss you.
Love Athena

Dear Mommy,
I have learned a lot of things at camp and got to ride a horse and a weird wagon with a toilet in it. I have walked about 6 miles in total but today our day was ruined by rain but tomorrow we will head out half way in the vans then we will travel the rest of the way to Fort Concho on wagons, horses and walking. I hope I can see you soon. Love your cute daughter!
Alexis

Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I got to ride a horse and it was really fun. We also had a presentation by Vaqueros and it was really fun because they fired a gun and it made a loud bang. We are going to Fort Concho tomorrow and it will be really fun!
Love Jack

Dear Mom,
Today we rode on the trail again in a giant circle. I like riding the horses because it gives time for some peace and quiet. We also had a Vaquero presentation and were shown how to make rope, brand horses and throw an Atlatal. It was a great day! Love Dalton

Dear Mom and Dad,
Today we rode horses again and it was really fun. How is Fiddles? We also had a presentation about Spanish cowboys called Vaqueros. It was a fun day. I hope that you get to come to Fort Concho tomorrow! I miss you!
Love Jess

Dear Mom and Dad,
Today was a really good day and I was glad that I got to rode the horses again today. It was also fun to watch the presentations we had by the Vaqueros and they showed us how to make rope. We are going to Fort Concho tomorrow and it will be a good day!
Love Bennett

Dear Mom,
Today we rode horses because it is fun and challenging. We also learned how to make rope and how to throw an atlatal. I am looking forward to making the trip to Fort Concho tomorrow. It will be a lot of fun! See you later!
Love Zach

Dear Mom,
I got to steer a wagon pulled by mules today and it was really awesome. We also had a presentation by Vaqueros that brought us Hardtack and beef jerky. We also got to see them shoot off a gun and how to make rope. It was a lot of fun and I cannot wait to get to Fort Concho tomorrow!
Love Isaac

Rhea: About today I loved how the presenters came and showed us how to make rope. Vaqueros showed us how the little kids learned to aim at animals at young ages. And the vaqueros showed us the different brands for branding cows. I got to experience what it was like to walk through the country. How to ride my favorite horse named Star. I also got to ride in the front of the wagon with the wagoners. I saw how he controlled the mules.

Jensen: Today we started out walking two miles, we got to walk and had to stay in formation. It was not as bad as it seems, it was very fun! We then got to ride in the wagons, we got to ride in the iron wheel wagons and it was very bumpy! When we stopped to eat lunch my group had to hurry because my group was next to ride horses. After we rode the horses, we got in the wagons again and rode back to camp. We also listened to the vaqueros, their presentations were very interesting, I enjoyed them immensely. Tomorrow when we arrive at Fort Concho I will be very proud to know that we made it the whole way!

Itzel: Today we woke up and prepared go on the trail again. The first thing we did was walk, then the wagons, then on the horses, and then the wagons again. We took showers in the show barn at the ranch where we are staying. We learned what vaqueros used to do and we ate homemade beef jerky and hard tack.

Heaven: I felt great getting back on the trail today. We walked first, then rode wagons, then horses and wagons again. I enjoyed riding horses the most, because they are my favorite animals. Riding and running felt so smooth to me after I got the hang of it. My favorite horse is Cowboy, he is such a good boy! He pretends he is gonna bite you, but it is really just a little nibble. We learned about the vaqueros and how they spun rope and made brands. The lunch we ate sandwiches, cookies and chips (just like yesterday) was interesting because I learned to eat with the crust on! And that is a BIG deal for me! I am still trying to finish my quilt, and I know it is going to be beautiful! I am homesick and I miss my family, but I am still having lots of fun! Love, Heaven

Clayton: Today it was too wet to go on the trail so we just went in a circle for fun I guess. But we also learned about Vaqueros. Miss you a lot! Love, Clayton


Will: Today we went back and forth. I really had a lot of fun! I miss you a lot Mom and Dad!

Lanny: Today we ate breakfast and walked about 3 miles. We got on the most bumpiest wagon ever, then ate lunch, then I rode the best horse ever. Then wagons again back to camp. Then the vaqueros talked and we ate dinner.

Jesus: Today we rode wagons, horses and walked a lot! We also listened to the vaqueros.

Tristan: We rode horses today on the trail. From the singing cowboys I learned about Texas History and we eat a lot of meat! On the horses we must take lots of safety precautions. The wagon was really fun!

9 Comments:

  • At July 23, 2009 at 11:02 PM , Blogger Ellie said...

    Klara,
    Sammy misses you as do I. Sounds like you've had a couple of great days living the pioneer and soldier life! Have fun tomorrow at Fort Concho. I know how much you enjoy dancing.
    Love,
    Mama

     
  • At July 23, 2009 at 11:12 PM , Blogger Clarence said...

    Klara,

    I am happy to have read that you have really enjoyed your adventure, cool! Almost to the end of the trail enjoy. I to will be on the trail so I will see you Sunday when I get back. I love you so much and I am very proud of you. Have fun & be safe...

    Love you & Miss you :)
    Daddy

     
  • At July 23, 2009 at 11:17 PM , Blogger LILIA PEREZ said...

    Hi Vivy,
    I am so glad you are spending time doing something you love, enjoy it as much as you can, we still working on something special for when you come home. We miss you the house is kind of quiet without you, but we know you will have lots of stories to tell. Love Mom, Kary, Grandma and as always little Princes (she is working specially on something for you) :) xoxoxo

     
  • At July 23, 2009 at 11:28 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Dear Fina,

    It sounds like you're having quite an adventure. We wish you'd send a little rain our way. Your mother and I have been working hard but we did get to go and see a Spanish Flamenco dance and music group. We ate tres leches cake. Yesterday Grandma and Grandpa took me to Boggy Creek Farms and IKEA. George says hi.

    Love,
    Mom and Dad

     
  • At July 24, 2009 at 8:04 AM , Blogger Michelle Mynatt said...

    Will,
    We all miss you so much. I am so glad you are having a good time. I also hope you are making new friends. You can never have too many friends. Today is the big day when you ride into Fort Concho- it will be fun.
    We love you,
    Mom, Dad, Ivie Kate, Emmie Grace & McCoy

     
  • At July 24, 2009 at 10:29 AM , Blogger Nikki said...

    Maddy, Why do you feel red today? I am sorry you did not get to ride a horse, maybe tomorrow. James misses you a lot. He keeps asking when you will be home. Have fun and I will see you tomorrow. -- Mommy

     
  • At July 24, 2009 at 8:16 PM , Blogger Moma said...

    Jakayly,
    We are so glad that you are having a great time. You will have to give us all the details when you get home. Did you have a great time at Fort Concho? I hope you did. We will see you in the morning at the Fort. Granny wants you to give her a call as soon as we get home to tell her all about your week. We love you a bunch!
    Love, Moma, Daddy, Jaden, Jaston & Jacey

     
  • At July 24, 2009 at 11:02 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Bennett,

    We are really looking forward to seeing you tomorrow!!! Glad you have been having a great time. Grandma saw you on the news tonight. :)

    Love, Mom, Dad, William and Grandma

     
  • At July 24, 2009 at 11:28 PM , Blogger CEJH said...

    Dalton, Coleton and Clayton,
    I have been enjoying reading about your adventures. It sounds like you have had a great time...but I am ready for you to come home! =) I hope you will always remember what you have learned this week...and grow to love history as much as I do. Remember to thank everyone who has helped you this week. I love you so much and can't wait to see you!
    Mommy

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home