} } Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp

Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp

Texas youth are gathering for a week at Fort McKavett to learn about the rich cultural heritage of Texas. "Old Stories, New Voices" provides students the opportunity to experience Native American, Hispanic, African-American and Anglo contributions to the history and culture of Texas!

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Blog Post: June 25, 2011

Editor's Note: We try very hard to post the exact words and feelings of the campers. Some editorial corrections are made for spelling/grammar and clarification purposes. We encourage all campers to write in their journals, but if they do not answer the daily questions, there is nothing for us to post on the blog. This is a skill we will improve upon throughout the week, however. All students answered the "Postcards from Camp" segment of their journal; those responses will be posted tomorrow morning.

Today, campers were asked to respond to two blog questions. 1) Have you ever been to camp before? If so, how is this camp different from others you have attended? If this is your first time at camp, describe what you are feeling right now. 2) Are you excited to learn new things and meet new friends? Who is in your company?



Tomorrow morning we will post the "Postcards from Camp" responses that the campers worked on tonight, as well as some photos from our first day at summer camp. Stay tuned!


Company A

Mollie T.

I have been to summer camp before, I’ve been to Bible camp. What’s different about this camp is that we actually live like soldiers.

The friends I made today are Lexi, Nick, Kaila, Victoria, Jasmin, Roberto, Morgan, Gabriel and Bradlie


Roberto

I have been to camp before but the camp that I went to was empty.

The friends I made today are Molly, Victoria, Nicky, Kailey, Jazmine and Lexi.


Bradlie C

I’ve been to camp before and this is way different. We are sleeping on cots and have uniforms (t-shirts) here.

I already knew some people but I’ve still tried to talk to other people. Right now it’s going good.


Gabriel

I am excited to meet new friends. I hope to make a bunch of new ones.

Enrique S.

I have been to many camps. At this camp, you get your own hat, two shirts, and a canteen. You stay a whole week and it is very humid. I am feeling amazing.

Yes I already made new friends. There are many people but I cannot name them all.


Jasmin S.

I have been to camp before, I have been to 4H camp. Today we played games, learned history, had lots of fun

I am excited to learn new things and meet new friends.


Victoria C.

No, actually I have not been to camp like this before. I’ve been camping, but this is different from other camps I’ve been to.

I am very excited to meet new friends. I have met Kayla, Nick, Roberto, Shy-Ann, Lexie, Bradlie, Morgan, Mollie, Madie, Jasmine, Enrique and Gabriel.


Kaila L

I have not been to camp be. I feel a little home sick, but when I am doing activities I forget about it.

I am very excited to learn new things and meet new people. Victoria, Nick, Lexie, Roberto, Morgan, Mollie, Shy-Ann, Bradlie, Madi, Jasmine, Enrique, and Gabriel.


Morgan W.

I feel good and excited about camp!

I have met new people and they are Victoria, Roberto, Kayla, Nick, Lexie, Bradlie, Molly, Jasmine, Enrique, Gabriel, Maddy, Shy-Ann

Maddy C.

I have been to camp before, but last time we rode horses!

I made a new friend today: Bailey.



Company B


Garrett D

I am feeling really excited about camp. I can’t wait for tomorrow.

Travis, Logan, Geneva, Brandon and Emily are in my company and they are my new friends.

Rachel C

I have been to camp before but this camp is longer than the other camps. I am very happy.

I have made new friends and they are Truie, Brittany, Lacey, Haily, Travis and Logan.


Truie R

I have been to camp before but this camp is so much better than anything I’ve ever seen.

Today I met Rachel, Emily, Brittany, Danyal, Tracy, Halie, Travis, Logan, Anna, Geneva, Garrett, Brandon, Gen. I’m in company B.


Haleigh C

This is my first camp, and I am very excited!

Logan R

I have been to camp before, it was 4-H camp.

Today I met a new friend named Gabriel.


Lacy L

I have not been to camp before but I feel like I will come here next year because I enjoy it very much.

I made some new friends today and they are: Anna, Brittaney, Garrett, Travis, Loagan, Brandon, Truie, Rachel, Haley, Genevia, Danielle, Emily, Mrs. Sanchez, Momma Lisa/Mrs. Lisa, and Mr. Z.


Brittaney K

I have been to one other camp and the main differences are this is at a fort, not a lake. In here you learn about history, not nature and here there are a hospital and a museum.

In my company there are a lot of us from Quinlan and there are a few from Menard and one boy from somewhere else.

Branden

I’m feeling nervous and excited at the same time about coming to camp this year.

Today I met new friends, including Logan, Garrett, Geneva, Mr. Z, Jen, Momma Lisa, Emily and Anna and others.

Danielle B

I’ve been to other caps with my mom but never alone so I’m kind of excited about this camp.

I met new friends today and they are Haleigh, Rachel, Truie, Brittaney, Logan, Travis, Lacy, Brandon, Garrett, Anna, Emily and Geneva.

Geneva G

This camp is different from other camps because , it has historic stuff and I can feel and put my self in the past.

The people in my company are Logan, Travis, Brandon, Garrett, Truie, Emily, Anna, Haighly, Danielle, Brittney, Lacy, Rachel


Emily A

I have been to camp before but this camp is different in many ways. It is really focused on history.

Yes. I am excited about meeting new people! The people in my company are Anna, Geneva, Garrett, Travis, Logan, Brandon, Lacy, Britteny, Truie, Rachel, Haleigh, and Danielle.


Anna V

I’ve never been to camp before. My first impression on it was bad. However, I was car sick but I got over it eventually. Now I’m happy that I came!

The friends I have made today are Emily, Geneva, Truie, Travis, Logan, Brandon, Me, Lacy, Brittney, Haleigh, Rachel, Danielle, Garrette


Company C

Shelby C.

I have never been to camp and I bet this camp will be fun! I am excited to meet new people.


Caleb H.

I am feeling excited about camp because its like I am in the army. It is very fun because you feel like you are in the old days and I am having a lot of fun.

I am very excited to learn how the army felt. I have a new friend his name is Bailey. My company is company C.


Bailey F.

I am feeling that this camp will be very fun.

The people that I met today are Ashley, Madeline, Ashlyn, Caleb and Lucas.


Autumn

I met new people today and they are Maycee, Sophia, Lucas, Lexie, Baylie, Patty, Kate, Amanda, Ashlyn.


Ashley F.

I have been to camp before but, my other camp was a church camp.

The new people I met today are Madelon, Mariella, Emily.


Madelon Clark:

Camp is very cool and very fun!

The people I met today are Hannah and Mariella.


Ashlyn B.

This summer camp is really big and exciting!

I met new people today and they are Ashley and Madelon.


Hannah W.

I am happy that we are here at camp this week!


Maycee P.

I've been to camp before but this camp is so amazing and cool and fun and its hard to describe.

I am excited about meeting new people and in my company it is Miss Amanda, Mr. Jon and Mr. Ron.


Emily C.

I have never been to camp before and I am having a great time but I am also homesick.

I am very excited and I have a lot of friends in my company. They are Ashley, Ashlyn and Hannah.


Lucas B.

I have been to another camp before we slept in tents.

The people I met today are Bailey and Caleb.

16 Comments:

  • At June 26, 2011 at 4:15 AM , Blogger Shawn R said...

    Hello to all you campers. Enjoy yourselves and be safe. To Truie R in Company B Mommy and Daddy Love you and miss you. Hi from Cisco, Layla, Rocky, Puca, Fuego and Blue. Please tell Rachel that we said hi:-) and you girls take care of each other. Also Hugs and Kisses from Steven and Cheyenne, Beth and Chris, Zac and Angie. Papa said to send you his love too. He said to tell you not to forget the sunscreen and to be careful swimming. I'll go for now but I love you Baby Girl.
    Daddy,
    Shawn Rose

     
  • At June 26, 2011 at 8:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ashlyn,
    Sunscreen this mornibng. Do not forget it. We miss you. Skylar slept in the chair looking for you. Love you have a great day. Cant wait to see pictures of yalls fun activities.
    Mom and Dad

     
  • At June 26, 2011 at 8:16 AM , Blogger Jodie said...

    Good morning....I'm sure you slept well after your long trip and excitement. Looks like another full and fun filled day ahead of you. To Rachel C in Company B...we love you and want you to have the best week having fun and learning all you can...happy to see Truie in your group..you two have fun and enjoy every minute. Can't wait to see more blogs.
    Love,
    Mom, Dad, G-maw & Bruno--Max sent a thump too!

     
  • At June 26, 2011 at 8:17 AM , Blogger Liz T said...

    Hope all you campers are having an awesome time! To Mollie T. in Company A: Mom and Dad love you very much. Enjoy this great learning experience. Lot's of hugs and kisses,
    Love, Mom (Liz) & Dad (Mark)

     
  • At June 26, 2011 at 8:26 AM , Blogger Jodie said...

    Hi Rachel....I think I have this correctly set up now...lol
    Have a great day..enjoy every minute...do everything you can fit into your schedule.
    Tell JoNita we said Hi and she better be taking care of you guys.
    Have lots of fun and blog later--let me know what you are eating!
    Love,
    Mom

     
  • At June 26, 2011 at 8:50 AM , Blogger Berni said...

    Hi Kaila L. Hi to you and all your new friends! Hope you have an awesome adventure today. Can't wait to hear all about your HISTORICAL and HYSTERICAL adventures! We miss you but nothing great going on here, although I WONDER WHERE your golf cart could be, ha ha! Love, Grandma B, Aunt Wendi, Anna-belly and NEEE-co-las!!!

     
  • At June 26, 2011 at 9:12 AM , Blogger Missie said...

    Dear Nick - We miss you! But are so glad you are off on this great TEXAS History adventure and making new friends. Can't wait to here from you and see you in action! Make the most of every day!! Love you bunches - Mom, Dad and all the Crew

     
  • At June 26, 2011 at 10:28 AM , Blogger Jennifer said...

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At June 26, 2011 at 10:42 AM , Blogger Jennifer said...

    Hi Rachel C in Company B! I hope your first night went well. We can hardly wait to see some pictures and hear about all the fun things you're doing. Hope your day is great!
    Love,
    Jenny (sis) and Stacey

     
  • At June 26, 2011 at 4:38 PM , Blogger Ashley Prescott said...

    Emily,
    I hope you are having a blast and learning tons of cool stuff.Don't be homesick sweetie,you will be home before you know it and will wish it had lasted longer. Nonnie and Poppie say hello and they hope you are having fun. Violet and I miss you too, but your dad is moping around and worried you'll be too homesick. He's just silly like that. See you soon. I can't wait to read your blogs and see pictures!

    Love,
    Mom
    P.S. I love you most!

     
  • At June 26, 2011 at 8:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Kaila L,
    we hope you are haveing a great time. We miss you daddy says he loves you and me, molly, mikki, and autumn love you too.
    we all send you kisses and hugs.
    LOVE YOU,
    From all of us ;)

     
  • At June 26, 2011 at 11:01 PM , Blogger Lori said...

    Logan, looks like you have met many new friends and have been very busy. Hope you are having fun! We spent the day getting things ready for the Jarvis. How is your cot? Layne says he misses you and we all love you and will see you soon. Love mom and dad

     
  • At June 27, 2011 at 4:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Lacy, I am happy you have met some new friends at camp. Remember the sunscreen. Tell Anna sorry to hear the car sick stuff happened, your mom told me it might. Glad you got over it and doing better. We love you girls and have a great time. Love, Mom, Billy, and Cody

     
  • At June 29, 2011 at 3:41 PM , Blogger nae said...

    Lexie & Maycee,
    Hope yall are keeping a journal with all your thoughts and new experiences. You girls have alot of fun. I will see yall soon, love you and BE GOOD!!!!

    Love, Momma (Nae)

     
  • At June 29, 2011 at 3:43 PM , Blogger nae said...

    Lexie,

    I love you!! Have an AWESOME week at camp!! Tell Maycee to keep an eye on you(HA~HA!!)

    Love, Momma

     
  • At June 30, 2011 at 12:31 PM , Blogger Gary C said...

    Hi Rachel C. Looks like your having a great time there. I bet its alot of fun. Try to blog me if you can. Love you very much, Dad.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home