} } Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp: Blog Post: June 26, 2011

Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp

Texas youth are gathering for a week at Fort McKavett to learn about the rich cultural heritage of Texas. "Old Stories, New Voices" provides students the opportunity to experience Native American, Hispanic, African-American and Anglo contributions to the history and culture of Texas!

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Blog Post: June 26, 2011

Today was Native American Day at OSNV Summer Camp. Campers were given several blog prompts, including 1) Today you learned about Apache Indians. What is something you learned? 2) After dinner, you heard Native American songs and stories. What was your favorite song or story? 3) What activity did you enjoy most today and why?

Company B

Travis: I learned several Native American skills today, including weaving, archery and shiny. I also learned about stories, the outfits they wore and the different horses.

Branden: I learned that in Apache culture, women owned everything that has to do with the house and household items. After dinner I liked all of the songs and stories that I heard. My favorite activities today were swimming and story telling because they were both fun.

Danielle: I learned that the Seminoles were scouts and that the Apache wore turbans and moccasins. After dinner, I liked the story of the opossum best. Today I enjoyed archery just because it's one of the activities I love to do.

Anna: Today I learned that the Apache are hunters and gatherers. The Native American story I liked best was the story with the dancing rabbit. I enjoyed swimming the most! I got to play on the slide and hang with my friends.

Garrett: I learned several Native American skills today, including weaving, archery and shinny. I also learned that the Apache people travel.

Brittaney: This morning I learned that the Seminole and Apache Indians disliked each other. I liked the story of the wall of water and how the turkeys brought the seeds for food. Today I enjoyed weaving the most because I love arts and crafts.

Rachel: Today I learned how Seminole and Apache Indians dress. My favorite story was the rabbit and grandfather story. The activity I enjoyed most today was weaving because I have never done that before.

Logan: I learned several Native American skills today, including archery, shinny and weaving. I learned how the Apache use guns and other weapons. I also learned about friendship songs.

Geneva: Today I learned about Native Americans. I liked the story about Mr. and Mrs. Turkey the best. I enjoyed archery the most today.

Emily: I learned that Seminole and Apache Indians are good at hunting and gathering. My favorite story of the night is the one with the dancing rabbits. I enjoyed archery the most today because it is a way of getting food in older times.

Haleigh: Today I learned about Seminole and Apache Indians. My favorite story of the day was the turtle story. I enjoyed weaving the most today because it was so fun.

Truie: I learned that the Seminole and Apache Indians wore almost all deer and buffalo clothing. My favorite story was the one about the possum and how they have ugly tails. I enjoyed the weaving and the archery the most today. I enjoyed archery because I've always wanted a bow and arrow and weaving because it's beautiful.

Lacy: I learned that Seminole and Apache Indians come from other parts of America. My favorite story was that there was a big water wall because it is helpful sounding story. I enjoyed shooting bow and arrows because it was my first time shooting one.

Company C:

Ashlyn: I learned several Native American skills today, including hunting, farming and singing. This is what I learned is they studied how to weave, play games and shoot bows and arrows. I learned that the Seminole came from Florida and the Apache lived in Texas. I like the song about the two different animals.I enjoyed bows and arrows because I have done them before and I think they are fun.

Emily: I learned several Native American skills today, including how to shoot an arrow, weave and shinny. I learned that the Apaches were mostly enemies to everyone. I learned that the Seminole Indians were from Florida and the Apache were from Texas. My favorite story was about the skeleton man and the Coyote Woman. My favorite activity was when we weaved.

Caleb: I learned several Native American skills today including weaving, shinny and bows and arrows. Today we learned how to play shinny and how to weave for the first time. Today I learned that the Semionls were from Florida. My favorite song was the song we learned about gathering together. My favorite activity was going swimming at the pool.

Hannah: I learned several Native American skills today including bows, arrows and weaving, and shinny. Apache and Seminole Indians are fun and exciting. My favorite song was about the tortoise and the jack rabbit. I liked the swing in the park.

Autumn: I learned several Native American skills today including weaving, bows and arrows and shinny. I learned the song was 7 directions and learned a lot of cool songs and Mrs. Ortega is very cool and she has a good voice and knows lots of songs. I learned that the guns got to shoot the guns and I saw 2 horses. I learned 3 new directions. I liked shinny because it was really fun and you can get hurt that is why you have to be careful but it was fun.

Lucas: I learned several Native American skills today including weaving, shinny and shooting bows and arrows. The story I liked best was: the buffalo were brothers and sisters to the elders and the shut them selves so that the children could get food. I learned about how to shoot a bow and arrow. I like all the songs and stories. I liked the songs and stories because it was fun and cool.

Mariella: I learned several Native American skills today including weaving, shinny and bows. I learned how to sing an Apache song called the gathering song. I got to meet a real Apache Indian named Emma. We got to eat Indian stew for lunch. All Apache thank their food. I learned that the tribes love to sing songs. My favorite song is the Gathering song. I liked the weaving because it was so calming.

Maycee: I learned lots of songs including the gathering song that Emma Ortega sang for us and she told us a lot of stories about why she not only thanks God she thanks the food also. I also met two Indian people from a tribe they told us about what type of guns were made back then and told us about their horses. I learned that the Seminoles lived in Florida and that the slaves came to join their tribe and many Apache Indians lived around there. My favorite song was the gathering song because I liked it the most because it was very inviting. I really liked the bows and arrows that we learned how to shoot.

Bailey: I learned that they Apache used bows and arrows. We got to practice shooting bows and arrows. I learned how to weave. It was very fun to weave. The Seminoles lived in Florida and the Apache lived in Texas. My favorite song was the friend song. I learned how to shoot a bow and arrow and I shot targets.

Ashleigh: I learned several Native American skills today including shiny, bows and arrows and weaving. We learned a few songs and a few stories, the two friendship songs were my favorite. Shooting bows and arrows was my favorite activity.

Madelon: I learned several Native American skills today including weaving, bows and arrows and shinny.Apaches were enemies with every other tribe. They don’t put horse shoes on their horses and the Apache Indians used every part of the buffalo except the heart and the skull.When the Seminole Indians were low on food the elders sacrificed their selves. The Apache woman were responsible for everything. I liked the Apache Indians because it was so cool to learn about their home, food and weapons.

Shelby: I learned several Native American skills today and a lot of songs and stories and archery. I learned about how the Indians used cross bows and I learned about different animals. I also learned that there are different types of guns and that you can tell how a horse is doing by checking his teeth. I liked the friendship song. I enjoyed the archery because I never shot a cross bow.

Company A

Maddy: I learned several Native American skills today, including Shinny, how to use a bow and arrow, and weaving. I studied the Apache people today. I learned there are a lot of types of bows and arrows. I liked all of the Native American songs and stories. The activity I liked the most today was weaving because I like to make patterns.

Bradlie: I learned several Native American skills today, including weaving, archery, and shinny. I learned that the Apache people are not as mean as most people thought. They ate rabbit a lot. If they had large families, they had a hard time getting by. The children’s games included activities that imitated their parents. I also learned why there were different weapons to carry. The Apache and Seminole Indians sometimes teamed up to survive. The work of the house and the belongings was the women’s work. When we heard Native American songs and stories, my favorite story was about the big rabbit and the little dancing rabbits. My favorite activity was the archery because I actually did well.

Victoria: I learned several Native American skills today, including weaving, archery and shinny. When I studied the Apache people, I learned they weren’t trying to hurt everyone. They were trying to protect their families. Mrs. Ortega is a real Lipan Apache and she was singing, telling stories, and playing a drum to different beats. We even got to meet some history teachers that talked about different tribes and clothing, living, and their horses. When we talked about the Seminole and Apache Indians, I learned that Lipan Apaches weren’t trying to be mean and kill all the enemies, and that they have 7 directions. My favorite song of the Native American songs was a friendship song. My favorite story is all of them. I enjoyed ALL the activities because we had a fun time.

Jasmin: Today was Native American Day. I learned several Native American skills, including weaving, shooting arrows and shinny. I learned about the Apache people, how they live and carry their guns, and what they have to do every day. I also learned how they carry everything on horseback every time. They had horses and we all got to pet the horses. We got to learn about the horses that they had. One was Tattoo who was a boy and a girl horse, but I don’t know her name. I learned songs and stories of the Apache and Seminole Indians. My favorite Native American story is the father grasshopper and my favorite song is the two friendship songs. My favorite activity today is writing in my journal.

Lexie: I learned several Native American skills today, including Shinny, weaving, and archery. I studied the Apache people today and learned that they are not mean like people say they are but are only trying to be good people, and they believe that we are all a family. Before they kill and eat the animals, they pray and thank God and the animals for letting them eat and they don’t hunt alone. They always hunt with people from their tribe. If one person kills an animal, they don’t keep it for themselves. Today I learned about the Seminoles and Apaches that the Apache Indian tribe had no such word as ME. They always shared the animal they caught, and today is Native American Day. I learned that you should always think before you say something. My favorite song was the friendship song and my favorite story was the buffalo story. I enjoyed weaving the most because it was peaceful and fun and it was really cool to make different things.

Morgan: I learned several Native American skills today including Shinny, weaving, and hunting. I learned that the Apache people have many tribes in the family but with different names. That they give thanks to the animals before they hunt. They are not mean people. All they want is peace and to greet people. The Seminoles and Apaches hunt turkey, rabbits, and mostly buffalo. The only parts of a buffalo for useful things are the skull and the heart. The skull they bury to give thanks to it, and the heart they bury to mother earth so its spirit will come back. After dinner, we heard Native American songs and stories. My favorite was the friendship song and the one about the buffalo. I enjoyed weaving the best because it is a quiet thing to do and it is traditional like making baskets.

Enrique: I learned several Native American skills today, including Shinny, weaving, and archery. I learned that the Apache people have many songs. I learned weaving, archery, and shinny (is when you try to hit a ball into the goal ). For breakfast we had cereal. For lunch we had Indian Stew. Ford inner we had turkey. We learned about their culture and what they eat. They used everything that was in the buffalo. They buried the heart and had ceremonies with the skull. I learned how the Seminole and Apache Indians lived, what they ate, what weapons they carried like knives and guns, what horses they rode and what they live in. My favorite Native American story was the one when an animal was bragging about its tail and made everyone mad. I enjoyed archery most because I like shooting the fake animals. I learned what types of bows the Indians used.

Nick: I learned several Native American skills today, including shinny, weaving and archery. We saw some Apache people and it was fun. We learned about their culture, the horses they rode, and guns they carried. We went swimming too. We had cereal for breakfast, Indian Stew and cornbread for lunch. For supper we had turkey with stuffing, sweet potatoes fries and ice cream. Today I learned how the Seminole and Apache Indians lived and how they survived out in the wilderness, how they used guns and other stuff like that. We listened to a lot of fun and cool Native American songs and stories. I don’t have a favorite. My favorite activity was archery because I got to shoot fake animals and it was so much fun. I had a blast!

Gabriel: I learned several Native American skills today, including shinny, weaving and archery. I studied the Apache people today and learned that they traveled in a pack and that they use every bone in a buffalo but the skull. They bury the heart in the soil. I learned about the Seminoles and Apaches that they made their shoes and moved around and that they had guns that were loaded and shot during a battle. After dinner we heard Native American stories and songs. My favorite story was the one about the grasshopper and his brothers and sisters eating the whole garden. I enjoyed the archery most because I learned how to shoot a bow at a fake deer.

Shy-An: I learned several Native American skills today, including shinny, weaving and shooting arrows. I learned that back then they used bows and guns and old stuff and they didn’t have technology like us. I learned about the weapons of the Seminole and Apache Indians, what they killed to eat and how they dressed. I heard Native American songs and stories. My favorite story was when she told us about the lady that sang the song and the cricket that ate the garden. My favorite activity was shooting arrows because I’ve never done it before, so it was cool to know how to shoot arrows.

Kaila: Today I learned several Native American skills, including archery, weaving and Shinny. I learned songs of the Apache and learned how to play a game called Shinny, how to shoot an arrow, and how to weave. I learned about the food of the Seminole and the Apache Indians. I heard Native American songs and stories. My favorite story was about the huge rabbit and little ones too. They danced around and blessed the Indians with dances and songs. I liked weaving the most because it was fun to pick colors of yarn and it was relaxing.

Roberto: I learned several Native American skills including archery, shinny, and weaving. I learned songs and about Indian people lived and what they played when they were kids, and what they ate. We learned about what Seminole and Apache Indians used for weapons. My favorite Native American story was the turtle . I enjoyed the most when the Indians brought the horses.

Mollie: I learned several Native American skills today, including archery, weaving, and shinny. I learned stories and songs about the Apache people. I also learned that the Lipan Apaches are peaceful people who defend themselves. I also learned that the buffalo represents the elderly. I learned about how the Seminoles and the Apache Indians lived and how they found their food. My favorite story was about the turtle who lives at the bottom of the rivers during the winter for warmth. The activities I enjoyed the most were swimming and archery.





5 Comments:

  • At June 27, 2011 at 3:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow Ashlyn, did you remember how too shot bows and arrows? Did you finally figure out what shinny is? you will have to teach us when you get home. We miss you and love you and glad you are having such a great time. I can not wait to see more post from you to hear what you are doing. I did get to see some pictures when yall were listenign to the Native Americans. Wish we could be there learning with you. What an experince. We will have to do a couple of scrapbooking pages. Mom

     
  • At June 27, 2011 at 4:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That's great Lacy that you learned about different types of indians. Did you enjoy learning how to shoot the bow and arrow? Maybe you and Billy can shoot together now? We love and miss you sooo much.Hope you are having lots of fun? Mom and Billy

     
  • At June 27, 2011 at 4:22 PM , Blogger Kara C. said...

    Hi Victoria!
    Your daily blogs have implied that you are having a great time! The photos that were posted today confirmed that!! They posted one of you doing archery, your FAVORITE!!! I was real excited to see that!
    Have a great time honey, I love you!
    Mom
    xoxoxo

     
  • At June 27, 2011 at 4:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow Ashlyn, did you remember how too shot bows and arrows? Did you finally figure out what shinny is? you will have to teach us when you get home. We miss you and love you and glad you are having such a great time. I can not wait to see more post from you to hear what you are doing. I did get to see some pictures when yall were listenign to the Native Americans. Wish we could be there learning with you. What an experince. We will have to do a couple of scrapbooking pages. Mom

     
  • At June 27, 2011 at 5:45 PM , Blogger Jodie said...

    Hi Rachel C....
    Everything sounds like a lot of fun..I saw your picture...getting some shade. I love your braids..you look like an Indian..lol
    Enjoy yourself and the canoe trip is getting close..you'll have a ball. Keep wearing your shorts to stay cool unless you have to wear jeans. Drink LOTS of water..but you know that.
    We all send our LOVE...Bruno included..he wagged his tail for you!
    Love,
    Mom

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home