} } Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp

Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp

Texas youth are gathering for a week at Fort McKavett to learn about the rich cultural heritage of Texas. "Old Stories, New Voices" provides students the opportunity to experience Native American, Hispanic, African-American and Anglo contributions to the history and culture of Texas!

Sunday, June 26, 2011




Postcards from Camp: June 25th





Company A

Dear Mom and Dad,

Today so far has been good. I wish you were here though. It seems that I am actually a soldier. I love you and miss you lots!

Signed, Mollie T.


Dear Mom and Dad,

Today I learned about were the soldiers slept in the old buildings that fell apart. I am having so much fun so far. I have a cool cabin and all kinds of cool stuff.

Love you, Nick


Dear Dad,

Today I took a hike around the ruins.

Signed, Roberto


Dear Parents,

Today I had fun. I’ve met new friends and I’ve learned a lot. It’s still really hot out here. You were right Dad.

Love you, Bradlie C.

Dear Mom,

Today I am learning about how to stand and march. We learned how to put up and take down the American flag.

Signed, Gabriel


Dear Mom and Dad,

Today I got my hat, canteen, and shirts. Before that I got settled. They showed us around. We saw broken down buildings. The restrooms are port-a-potties. I am having a great time!

Signed, Enrique S.


Dear Mom and Kenny,

Today I learned some stuff and I met new friends. It was fun, but it is so HOT. I love and miss you and I can’t wait until tomorrow.

Signed, Shyann


Dear Mom and Dad,

Today I met lots of new friends, girls and boys. There are 28 girls and 13 boys. This is all of the people that I met. Girls that I met are Molly, Bradlie, Lexi, Shy-Ann, Morgan, Maddie, Victoria, these are the people in my group.

Signed, Jasmin


Dear Kara and Victor,

Today I saw a hospital and the dead house by the hospital. We even had a flag ceremony. I’m having so much fun. I just can’t wait for tomorrow to go do archery. :P

Signed, Victoria C.


Dear Mommy and Daddy, Tina, and everybody else at home,

Today I took a tour of camp. I also saw the dead house, that was interesting. It was a long ride to Fort McKavett. I miss you and love you.

Signed, Kaila Lane


Dear Dad and Mom,

Today I had a great time today. I met new friends named Molly, Lexie, and Bradlie.

Signed, Morgan W.


Dear Mom and Dad,

Today I learned a lot of new things. We took a tour around the camp and saw all the cool things. I can’t wait to do more stuff. I am making lots of new friends.

Signed,

Lexie


Dear Mom,

Today I saw lots of plant life and ruins! I’m bummed there are no horses.

Signed, Maddy C.


Company B

Dear Mom and Dad,

Today I got to know everyone in my company. I’m having a great time.

Signed Garrett



Dear Mom,

Today I had a lot of fun! Today we learned about some of the stuff in the old days. The time went by really fast and I met Molly! Say hi to Bruno for me.

Signed Rachel C.


Dear Mommy and Daddy,

Today I learned that friendship is the most important thing and that this si like the Marines! I got 2 new shirts and a hat. I love and miss you.

Signed, Truie



Dear Mom and Dad,

Today I learned a lot. We got a tour of Ft. McKavett. It was hot today. Today I met people from Quinlan. They are very nice. I am having a great time.

Signed, Haleigh C.



Dear Mom and Dad,

Today I learned abut the reason for lowering the flag and how two guys worked the bakery. I miss you so.

Signed, Logan



Dear Mom and James,

Today I had a gret time. I like the camp. I am learning.

Signed, Travis


Dear Mom,

Today I met a girl named Rachel, I saw a bakery, also a schoolhouse. We got to go in them and explore. Oh, and the whole day I was thinking about you and I just wanted to tell you I’m OK.

Signed, Lacy


Dear Mom,

Today I met two girls, Haleigh and Danielle, and they are from Menard. They are very nice and we have a lot in common. I miss you already!

Signed, Bri


Dear Mom and Dad,

Today I took a tour around the fort. I played with my new friengs, Mrs. Z, T. J. and Logan.

Signed Branden



Dear Mom and Dad,

Today I was given a tour of Ft. McKavett, learned the procedure of taking down the flag, and met several new people. Most of the people I met were from Quinlan. In the camp there is a total of 28 girls and 10 boys. I had tons of fun today.

Signed, Danielle


Dear Aunt Genna,

Today I traveled to camp and it took like 5 hours but I had fun and I can’t wait till Tuesday because I turn 10. It’s my birthday.

Signed, Genny G.



Dear Mom and Dad,

Today I explored all around and got to see lots of things. For dinner we had chicken, pasta, mashed potatoes, and cheese cake. Love you.

Signed Emily


Dear Mom and Dad,

Today I learned bunches about history. And there was a very long car ride. We went to CiCi's pizza. They were the bomb! We ate a great dinner. We had amazing cheesecake for dessert.

Signed, Anna


Company C


Dear Dad,

Today I discovered a lot of things like well I forgot but I’ll try to remember tomorrow. Ok, I love you!

Love, Shelby C.


Dear Dad, Mom, Zeak,

Today I was able to be like a soldier and learn how hard camp life was.

Love, Caleb H.



Dear Mom and Dad,

Today I rode in a van for 5 hours and a half. When we got to camp we saw a lot of interesting stuff. Love you Mom and Dad!

Love, Bailey F.



Dear Mommy,

Today I sat in a van for 5 hours.

Love, Autumn



Dear Mom,

Today I saw a real cannon, a few real rock houses.

Love, Ashley F.



Dear Mom,

Today I met new friends and explore the Fort. It is so cool! Now we are about to blog. I got to go mom! Love you!

Madelon C.



Dear Family,

Today I met tons of people learned different things, about different old people and buildings. P.s: I love y’all very much and I ready miss you! I love you!

Love, Ashlyn B.



Dear Family,

Today I love you very much! You are the best family ever!

Love, Hannah


Dear Mom, Dad and Jade,

Today I have lots of fun and I am so amazed about all the sights I have seen and I have met a girl names Mariella!

Love, Maycee




Dear Mom and Dad,

Today I learned a lot of new stuff. I learned what to do at the flag lowering ceremony. I love you and miss you very much.

Love, Emily C.


Dear Mom and Dad,

Today I looked around the place and did a lot of stuff but I mostly have fun!

Love, Lucas B.







7 Comments:

  • At June 26, 2011 at 9:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Sounds like yall are having so much fun.... Love you Ashlyn B. We miss you a bunch. Loved the pictures

     
  • At June 26, 2011 at 10:45 PM , Blogger Shawn R said...

    Dear Truie R.,
    I'm sure it's like being in the military, at first. Remember that Mommy and I met some of the best friends of our lives in the Marines. I hope you are having a blast and learning alot. Behave and we Love you and miss you. It sure is quiet around here without you jabbering on like a monkey in a tree. Lol. <3<3
    Love Daddy and Mommy.
    Shawn R.

     
  • At June 26, 2011 at 10:48 PM , Blogger Berni said...

    Dear Kaila,

    Oh boy, dead horse sounds really interesting. Tell me more when you can. Grandpa is at the park and Aunt Wendi used the jeep to visit some friends so your dad gave me the white car to drive. Wow, we used to have one just like it! Even you rode in it when you were teeny tiny. Well, guess you are not teeny tiny any more because you are at camp! .Can't wait to hear what you will do tomorrow. Much love, Grandma Berni
    ps your golf cart is home, Molly's is at our house for Annabelle and Nicholas to ride in. Wait till we tell you about the bird nest we found in our tree! Miss YOU YOU YOU

     
  • At June 26, 2011 at 11:10 PM , Blogger Jodie said...

    Dear Rachel C.
    Happy to see your blog...sounds like your having a great time. Get a good nights sleep and be ready to go again tomorrow..lots more fun stuff on the schedule. Drink lots of water to stay cool. Swimming will really feel good. Hope you are eating so you don't get a headache..I saw where you had cheesecake..sounds yummy.
    Love you the most...Ditto from Bruno and Max..I'll blog you again tomorrow.
    Mom

     
  • At June 27, 2011 at 8:03 AM , Blogger Tami said...

    Travis we are glad you are havin fun and learning,I'm sure you will come back with great memories and new friends! Have fun we all love you! Mom,Dad and everyone.

     
  • At June 27, 2011 at 1:08 PM , Blogger Liz T said...

    To: Mollie T. in Company A
    We love and miss you very much. We are glad you are having fun. Can't wait to hear about all you have learned.

    Lots of hugs & kisses,
    Mom & Dad

     
  • At June 27, 2011 at 4:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Dear Lacy,
    Thanks for thinking of me today. I haven't stopped thinking of you and what you are doing with your new friends. I hope you are having a great time. We love and miss you. Love Mom, Billy and Cody

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home