} } Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp

Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp

Texas youth are gathering for a week at Fort McKavett to learn about the rich cultural heritage of Texas. "Old Stories, New Voices" provides students the opportunity to experience Native American, Hispanic, African-American and Anglo contributions to the history and culture of Texas!

Monday, June 27, 2011



Postcards from Camp: June 26, 2011






Company A

Dear Mom, Today I learned about the Apache Indians and the things they do! I miss you!
Love, Maddy

Dear Parents: Today I did many fun Activities. We went into town too. I learned how to weave and I played a game called Shinny.
Love, Bradlie

Dear Kara, Victor and Paige, Today I learned this game named Shinny where you play with wooden poles and a ball. We got to do archery and the guy who was running it gave me a compliment that I was the best one. We also went swimming.
Love, Victoria

Dear Parents, Today I learned and lot, and I miss all of you very much. Shinny, shooting arrows, weaving were some of the things I learned.
Love, Jasmin

Dear Mom and Dad, Today I learned a lot about the Apache Indians. They are actually awesome. I am having a great time. We had Indian stew. Have you ever heard of that? It was really good.
Love, Lexie

Dear Mom and Dad, Today I had a great time. A lady came and she is an actual Indian. She told great stories and sang great songs.
Love, Morgan

Dear Mom and Dad, Today I played shinny. It was fun. We had archery lessons and we weaved. We had good food and I had a lot of fun. We went swimming in the pool.
Love, Enrique

Dear Mom and Dad, Today I learned about archery and how to shoot and weave. I had so much fun today. I love you guys.
Love, Nick

Dear Mom, Today I learned about the Native American and how they built their stone walls for their house.
Love, Gabriel

Dear Mom and Kenny, Today I learned a lot of neat stuff. We did weaving, archery, and played a game called shinny, went swimming and it was fun. Love u, miss u, bye.
Love, Shy-Ann

Dear Daddy, Mommy, and everyone else at home, Today I learned to play a game, weave, and shoot arrows. I love you very much. See you soon.
Love, Kalia

Dear Dad, Today I learned how to shoot an arrow and learned stories from the Indians.
Love, Roberto

Dear Mom and Dad, Today I studied Native American culture. Also, a woman from the Lipan Apache came and told us stories. I love you and miss you a lot!!!
Love, Mollie

Company B

Dear Family, Today I learned how to shoot a bow and arrow and weave and do a whole lot of stuff.
Love, Branden


Dear mom & dad, Today was Native American day. We learned about the Apache and Lipan Apache. We played Shiny, did archery and started on a weaving project. I enjoyed my day. I love you mom & dad.
Danielle B

Dear mom, Today I shot an elk in the leg and tried to shoot a lion with a bow and arrow! Just kidding J. All the animals were fake. I had lots of fun!
Love, Bri

Dear mom and daddy, Today I swam at the public pool in Menard. We learned how to weave and shoot bows and arrows. Camp is so awesome. See you after camp. Miss you bunches.
Love, Anna

Dear Granny, Today I learned about Apaches. Then we did archery, swimming, weaving and a native American game.
Love, Emily

Dear Aunt TD, Today I learned archery and it’s bows and arrows. I had fun learning it. You have to pull back far enough and aim right.
Love, Genny

Today we learned the guns and other weapons the Apache used. We also learned some friendship songs.
Love, Logan

Dear mom and dad, Today I learned a lot of cool things. I learned cool songs and stories. I love and miss you and Bruno. Say hi to him please. Love, Rachel C

Dear Billy, Today I learned to shoot a bow and arrow. Also it is called archery. So today I did archery, weaving and indian game called shinny. I love you and mom and buba very much.
Love, Lacy

Dear mommy & daddy & mutts, Today I learned that there is a lot more to life than you think. I love you and miss you very much. XoXoXo.
Love, Truie / Babygirl

Dear mom and dad, Today was Native American day. I had fun and I learned about how to weave.
Love, Haleigh

Company C

Dear Family, Today I learned a whole lot about Indians. I learned that Indians sing many songs and many different skills that they have. I also miss yall very much. I cant wait to see you I miss yall a lot.
Love, Ashlyn

Dear Mom and Dad, Today I learned a lot about Seminole and Apache Indians. I love you and miss you a lot!
Love, Emily

Dear Mom, Dad and Zeke: Today we learned about Indians and we learned a lot of songs and stories about the Lipan Indians.

Love, Caleb

Dear J. W. and Grandma, Today I learned how to shoot bows and arrows.
Love, Hannah

Dear Mom, Today I learned Native Americans like to shoot bows and arrows and that the Seminoles were from Florida. I also learned that the Apache lived in Texas.
Love, Autumn

Dear Mom and Dad: Today I am having fun and the camp is cool and I lot of fun. I miss both of you!
Love, Lucas

Dear Daddy and Maggie: Today I learned how to weave and play shinny.
Love, Mariella

Dear Mom, Dad and Jade: Today I learned how to weave.
Love, Maycee

Dear Mom and Dad: Today I learned that Native Americans have a very interesting culture in their lives. I love you mom and dad.
Love, Bailey

Dear Mom and Sisters: Today I shot a bow and arrow and I hit the elk in the neck.
Love, Ashleigh

Dear Candice: Today I learned to weave with yarn and shuttle sticks! It was so cool! I would like to tell you move but I would spoil it! Love you!
Love, Madelon

Dear Grandma: Today I learned a lot about Native Americans and I really miss and love you!
Love, Shelby




2 Comments:

  • At June 27, 2011 at 5:29 PM , Blogger Lori said...

    Logan, sounds like you are having fun and meeting lots of new friends. We hope you are learning more about the heritage of Texas. We can't wait to hear the new songs you have learned. Layne is taking good care of daisy and Sis is doing fine. How are the barracks? Hot? Miss you! Love mom, dad, Mimi, Nama, and the gang!

     
  • At June 27, 2011 at 6:53 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

    Rachel C., I saw a picture of you at camp. Nice braids. :-) It seems like you learned a lot about different tribes from Texas. You'll have to teach me a few things. I love reading your blog posts. Be sure to put LOTS of details in them so we can really hear how much fun you are having. Love you, Jenny

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home