} } Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp

Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp

Texas youth are gathering for a week at Fort McKavett to learn about the rich cultural heritage of Texas. "Old Stories, New Voices" provides students the opportunity to experience Native American, Hispanic, African-American and Anglo contributions to the history and culture of Texas!

Monday, June 25, 2012

Journal: Monday June 25


Today’s prompts:
1. Yesterday you learned about the life of a Seminole Indian Scout. What is something you learned?
2. What did you learn about the Chickasaw tribe’s language and history?
3. What activity did you enjoy most yesterday? Why?

Company B

Jordyn T.
I learned what Native Americans wore and what the Turtle’s nickname is. We also learned how to say “go in peace” in Indian. We did a snake dance called sinti hitlal. We also made our own maracas. And we learned how to say Great White Dog. It’s Ovey Tube Ishotoe. I enjoyed archery, weaving, and shinny. We also swam, which I really liked. And we got to talk to real Indians!!!

Joshua R.
I learned that turtles are the earth mother and that they wore turbans to cool off and a squirrel is called a funni. I liked archery because I like shootin’ a bow and arrow.

Briana P.
I learned turtles can be used for a different craft  and how Seminole Indians were different. In Chickasaw, some words mean more than one thing. I enjoyed making turbans and archery because it’s really fun and I want to shoot arrows again some time.

Morgan B.
I learned how to shoot a bow and arrow and how to say ocha, which means blue and green. I liked archery and weaving.

Kourtnie S.
I learned Seminole Indians help people and cure them. I also learned what they wear and how it’s different from what we wear. I enjoyed seeing the Chickasaw people and getting prizes for saying the right words in the Chickasaw language.

Joshua R.
I learned weird words from the Seminole Indian Scout and from the Chickasaws. I enjoyed dancing the most.

Jaden S.
I learned about Indians and how they help people. I learned that the Chickasaw went on the Trail of Tears. I liked swimming the most.

Taylor W.
I learned about the Native American song beat. It went boom boom. I liked archery the most because you felt like Robin Hood.

Kaylah S.
Yesterday I learned how to weave, and I learned a lot of language. I enjoyed swimming because I love to swim.
Meliny R.
I learned all about how the Seminole Indians survived. From the Chickasaws I learned a funny name for a squirrel. I enjoyed weaving the most.

Noah R.
I learned what Seminole Indians wore and I learned words from the Chickasaws. I enjoyed the Snake Dance the most because it is fun.

James C.
I learned how a Seminole Indian dressed. They have a rock that looks like a face. They have a lot of stuff. The Chickasaws wear turbans and animal skin. They speak funny words. I enjoyed the archery because I have never done archery.

Company A

Morgan W.
The Seminole Indians used turtle shells for rattles.
The Chickasaw’s taught us the names of animals in their language.
I enjoyed swimming the most yesterday.

Angela S.
I learned that Indians went to war with no armor, just their normal animal skin.
I learned the names of animals in Chickasaw.
I didn’t enjoy anything because I didn’t feel well.

Jakayly S.
The Native Americans made toothpaste out of ashes, cedar berries, and water.
The Chickasaw’s, through teamwork, saved their language and history.
I enjoyed weaving the most yesterday.  I have always wanted to learn how and now I know how.

Savanah G.
I learned that the Seminole Indians had very old games back then.
We learned the names of animals in Chickasaw.
My favorite activity yesterday was the pool, because we got to cool off.

Emily R.
I learned how the Indian scouts made toothpaste.
I learned that the Chickasaw people still speak their own language in other parts of the country.
I enjoyed swimming in the community pool, because it was fun.

Victoria P.
Yesterday I learned about how the Seminole Indians made toothpaste and learned about their clothing.
I learned how to say some of the names of forest animals in Chickasaw.
The activity I enjoyed the most yesterday was archery.  It was the first time I show a bow and arrow.

Julio G.
I learned about the Chickasaw’s, and how they played baseball.  They showed us a lot of things that were used a long time ago.
I learned about 5 to 10 animal names in the Chickasaw language.  We danced and heard music.  The dance we did was called; the snake dance.
The activity that I most enjoyed was shinny, because we played with a baseball on the floor.

Isaac R.
The Seminole Indian scout told us the legend of the flute and how the turtle got lines on its shell.
I learned 7 to 10 animal names in Chickasaw.  I also learned a couple of songs and one dance called the Sita Hitla.
The activity I enjoyed most was archery, because it was just plain fun to let go of the string.  


Kameron S.
I learned how the Seminole Indians got the arrow out of people using the whip.  They use the drums beat like a heartbeat.
I learned how to say the word dog in Chickasaw, it is othie.  I learned the Chickasaw snake dance.
I enjoyed archery the most, because it was fun.

Jacolby M.
The heartbeat was the sound they made with the drum.  The Seminole Indians used a whip to get arrows out of my arm. (Editor’s note: the arrow was not actually in his arm.)
I learned animal names in the Chickasaw language.  Fish is nuni and dog is ophie.
Everything was fun to me, I had a great time.  Archery was my favorite.  Shooting the target helped with concentration.



Company C

Phillip N.
I learned that the Indian Scouts bow changed their time.
I learned that you need a permit to have an eagle feather.
I liked swimming the most.

Cullen B.
The most popular song was the heartbeat.
The Chickasaw’s used ash to wash their selves and we went into a circle to do the snake dance.
I enjoyed swimming the most, I got to touch the bottom of the ten foot pool.

Faith S.
I learned how the Seminole Indians made toothpaste.  They make it by using ashes from a fire then they add water.
I learned that the Chickasaw tribes used a lot of turtles in their culture.
I made a Chickasaw hat yesterday and made a rattle. 

Madelon C.
The Seminole Indians used many tools and tricks to help them survive in the world and made a lot of beautiful things that they would trade.
The Chickasaw language is very hard but also almost dead, because no one can speak it.  I learned all of the animal names, which was fun.
The Chickasaw Indian history was my favorite, because it was very interesting to learn about a Indian Tribe trying to survive in the world.

Haleigh C.
I learned a cool dance in Chickasaw culture.
I learned some of the Chickasaw language. 
Archery was my favorite activity.



Armando H.
I learned that the Seminole Indians wore special clothes.  They also told us a story about a turtle.
I learned that Indians played a game called shinny.  They also weaved and shot a bow and arrows.
We learned some of the Chickasaw language, which I liked because I have always, wanted to learn a new language.

Emma B.
The Chickasaw Indians lived in tents and the buffalo was where they got most of their clothes, food, and shelter.
The language is very different than ours.  The dogs name in Chickasaw is Ofie, they also made a lot of their instruments out of turtle shells.
Archery was the activity I enjoyed the most.  It was something I think is really cool.  Also I missed every target but it was still really fun.

James W.
I learned that Native Americans believed that the turtle is universal and that it hold the Earth on it’s back.  The turtle is called mother Earth.
I learned a few words in the Chickasaw language, such as “chaffa” which means one in English.
I enjoyed archery the most because I’ve never used the bow and arrow and I almost hit a bulls eye.

Inspyr S.
The Seminole used to play baseball in a all negro league.  I also learned a Seminole Indian dance, and learned how to say hello, good by, and amen.
In the Chickasaw language, Squirel is funny.  Big white dog is Offie Toby Ishto.  Alligator is achacoby.  Deer is isie.  We also made paper turbans.
Archery and shinny were the activities I enjoyed most yesterday.  I enjoyed archery because I have always wanted to know who to do archery.  I enjoyed shinny because of the competitive people.

Katelynn S.
They used the hides of animals and bones to help then with their personal needs, and I learned how to say hello.
Women wear these big fluffy dresses, I leaned a new dance and new Chickasaw works like Deer is issy, big white dog is ofie tobee ishdo.
I enjoyed shinny because its active and very fun to play.

Tiana P.
I learned the Seminole sound of the drum.
We made hats, and that the names of animals in Chickasaw are funny sounding.
I enjoyed archery.

Jamie H.
I learned that women use to wash men’s clothes for money.  Seminole Indians play the drum by your heartbeat.
I learned that the Chickasaw communicate by dance and music.  We all did a snake dance and we learned that you have to know people to get the right clothes.
I enjoyed shinny the most because it is like hockey.


Jasmin S.
We learned the language of the Seminoles and what they wear. 
The Chickasaws taught us how to make a paper hat with a feather and some of their language.
Archery is shooting bows and arrows, it was fun.  Swimming and being with friends.  Weaving was fun, I am fast at it.



  

9 Comments:

  • At June 25, 2012 at 6:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Jaden S.
    So glad you are having fun and learning about different things. We miss you and can't wait to see you and hear all about your week!
    Lots of love,
    Daddy, Momma and Biscuit!

     
  • At June 25, 2012 at 6:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Jakayly S.
    We enjoy reading about what you are doing this week and can't wait to hear all the details when you get home.
    Love you,
    Momma and Daddy

     
  • At June 25, 2012 at 6:27 PM , Blogger lkboettger said...

    Cullen B.

    Glad you had fun swimming, Sounds like you are having fun! Chris wanted you to know he got to go Canoeing today, before you get to. We love you!

    Love,
    Mom, Chris, Vivi and Dad

     
  • At June 25, 2012 at 6:29 PM , Blogger lkboettger said...

    Angela S.

    I'm sorry you weren't feeling good, I hope you are already starting to feel better!

    Love ya lots,

    Aunt Lesley

     
  • At June 25, 2012 at 6:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Dear James Wei,

    Great writings! We love you!

    Dad and Mom

     
  • At June 25, 2012 at 7:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Imspyr we miss you and sounds like you are having a wonderful time. Do not forget your prayers at night. And everybody says hi PaPa said he miss you the most.
    Hugs n Kisses
    Missy

     
  • At June 25, 2012 at 10:34 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Angela S,
    I love you and miss you. I'm so sorry you didn't feel well. What is wrong? I hope you feel better tomorrow and enjoy yourself. Have fun. Aurora and Kayla say love you and miss you.
    Love you,
    Mom

     
  • At June 25, 2012 at 10:39 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Cullen B,
    I'm glad you are enjoying yourself. Keep learning new things and have lots of fun.
    Love you,
    Aunt Jennifer

     
  • At June 26, 2012 at 1:19 AM , Blogger AMBER ESTEP said...

    Dear jasmin s we love u and miss u to

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home