Journals: Buffalo Soldier Day
Today’s prompts:
1.
Describe what you learned in yesterday’s guard
duty and drill practice. Did you enjoy
being a soldier for a day?
2.
Did you enjoy learning to use the BB gun? Why or why not?
3.
How is 19th century baseball different from
today’s game?
Company A
Isaac R.
We learned right face, left face, front, and about
face. We also practiced forward march,
and rifle positions.
Yes, I did enjoy learning to use the BB gun although I
already knew how. I enjoyed it because
me and Julio were the best two.
19th century baseball is different because if
the ball bounces once and you catch it the batter is out and the baseball is
much bouncier.
Victoria P.
No, because I was out in the sun.
Yes, because it was very fun and that was my second time
shooting one.
Well we get 4 tries before your out.
Jacolby M.
Yes, I did we learned how to march and stand with a gun.
I already knew how to use a BB gun, but I had a great
time. I hit 13 cans.
When the ball bounces once and you catch it the batter is
out. The batter gets 4 strikes before
they are out.
Jakayly S.
Yes, it was fun learning how to march.
I already knew how to shoot, but it was fun practicing.
The rules of 19th century baseball are
different than our modern day baseball.
Julio G.
Yes, because we learned to march with rifles with Mr.
Cody.
Yes, because we needed to hit the cans and I hit them 15
times.
It’s different because we got 4 strikes before your
out. The foul balls didn’t count like
strikes and if you caught the ball after one bounce it was an out.
Kameron S.
Yes, I enjoyed it.
I learned how to March.
Yes, I enjoyed it because it was fun. I hit 7 cans.
Foul balls didn’t count as strikes. If you catch a ball on the first bounce the
batter is out.
Morgan W.
Yes, I learned the motions of the Buffalo Soldiers.
Yes, because we got to shoot cans.
The rules are different and if you catch the ball on the
first bounce the person is out.
Savanah G.
I enjoyed it because it was fun and I learned to march.
I sort of liked it because I shot cans and one part I
didn’t like because I only shot 3 cans.
You could throw the ball at someone to get it out. (Editor’s
note: yes this is a rule of 19th century baseball, but we did not
allow the kids to use this rule.)
Emily R.
I sort of enjoyed it because it was fun and I learned how
to march.
Yes, because I never actually used a BB gun and I only
shot 1 can.
You don’t throw the ball at people and last century’s
game is more fun than this century’s game.
Angela S.
No because I had to march around in the heat.
No, because the aiming system was messed up.
If the ball bounces once and you catch it, then it’s an
out. The ball is softer.
Company B
Briana P.
Yes, it was fun.
Yes, because it was fun and it is another thing I can now
do.
Foul balls don’t count.
If the ball bounces once and you catch it, the batter is out.
Noah R.
I learned all the different rifle positions.
No, because I already knew how.
There are 4 strikes and if the ball bounces once and you
catch it the batter is out.
Jordyn T.
I did enjoy being a soldier for a day. I learned how strict and hard it was to be a
Buffalo Soldier.
Yes, but I only shot the target three times.
You only have 4 strikes instead of 3.
Joshua R.
I learned the shoulder rest, that’s where you put your
thumb and index finger around the trigger and hold it straight up.
Yes, because I like shooting guns.
You can get someone out even if it bounces once.
Jaden S.
I enjoyed being a soldier for a day.
I enjoy shooting BB guns.
The ball is softer.
Josh H.
Yes, because I got to shoot BB guns and play 19th
century baseball.
Yes, because it was so fun.
It’s way different than baseball today.
James C.
I learned how to hold a rifle. It was awesome.
I did enjoy using the BB gun because I shot cans.
If the ball bounced once and you catch it the person is
out.
Kourtnie S.
I enjoyed it. We
had fake wood guns to march.
No, I was horrible.
If it bounces 1 time and you catch it then their
out. You get 4 strikes and you out.
Morgan B.
Yes, they gave me a wooden gun.
I did because I never shot one.
Fowls did not count as strikes. The ball was also softer.
Kaylah S.
I learn how the work it.
No, because I did not hit anything.
You get 4 strikes instead of 3 strikes before your out.
Meliny R.
I learned how to hold a wooden gun. I did a shoulder rest.
It was fun using a BB gun. I know I have little bullets.
It was very different from today’s baseball.
Taylor W.
Yes, but it gave me a headache.
Yes, because we learned how to use it the right way.
In today’s game if it bounces you are not out.
Company C
Faith S.
Yes, because I got to shoot BB guns.
Yes, because I shot the cans with the BB guns.
You have 4 strikes instead of 3 strikes.
Tiana P.
No, it is too hard being a soldier. I got to learn how to do guard duty.
Yes, I think it was fun to play with a BB gun.
In 19th century baseball you get 4 strikes.
Cullen B.
No, I was trained to be a soldier.
Yes, because I got to shoot a BB gun.
If the ball bounces once and you catch it then the batter
is out.
Phillip N.
I enjoyed being a soldier because we shot BB guns and
learned about the Buffalo Soldiers.
I enjoyed using the BB gun because I like archery and
shooting.
In 19th century baseball, fouls did not count
as strikes.
Madelon C.
I learned how to march to a tune, hold your gun while in columns,
straiten your columns, and act like a soldier.
I liked it very much.
Yes, because I can practice my aim on things. Shooting with friends is fun. You can get real excited when you shoot a can
and you do it outside.
You can throw the ball at the person running, and it is
still an out if you catch it on the first bounce. (Editor’s note: yes this is a
rule of 19th century baseball, but we did not allow the kids to use
this rule.)
Emma B.
Yes I did, it was fun to do the drills and to hold a fake
gun. Also I got to learn how to hold a
gun in different positions.
Yes, but I wasn’t very good. I only hit one target, but I got to see how
to cock the gun.
Well, you get 4 strikes and if the ball bounces for the
first time and you catch it, it is an out.
James W.
I learned all of the positions, such as “shoulder arms”, “order
arms”, etc.…I didn’t enjoy being a soldier because it was hot, boring, and I
was tired.
I already knew how to use a BB gun, but I did enjoy it.
There are 4 strikes and foul balls are not counted. You also can’t steal bases in 19th
century baseball.
Armando H.
I enjoyed marching, shooting BB guns, and meeting a guy
that was a real Buffalo Soldier.
Yes, because I have already shot one.
It is different because if it bounced and you caught it
the person who hit is out.
Katelynn S.
It was pretty cool learning all the different faces.
Yes, because it was AWESOME!!!
There are 4 strikes and the fouls don’t count as strikes. If the ball bounces once and then you catch
it, it is considered an out.
Jamie H.
Yes, I loved being a Buffalo Soldier. We saw some stuff that the Buffalo Soldiers
would have used.
Yes, I enjoyed the BB guns because I like to hear the
ting sound of the tin cans.
19th century baseball is different because the
ball is different, there are 4 strikes, fouls are not counted as a strike, if
you catch the ball on the first bounce you are out.
Jasmin S.
I learned out to march, and I kind of liked it.
Yes, because shooting BB guns are fun and I like it.
If the ball bounces once and they catch it then you are
out. You get four strikes and fouls do
not count as strikes.
Haleigh C.
We learned how to hold the riffle when we walked. I kind of liked it.
Yes, it is fun when I hit a can and shot the gun.
When the ball bounces once and you catch it, it is an
out, and there are 4 strikes instead of 3.
Inspyr S.
Yes, I learned right face, left face, attention, halt,
shoulder rest and many more.
Yes, because I liked the feeling of learning all the
parts of the gun and shooting cans and bottles.
When the ball bounces and you catch it, they are
out. There are 4 strikes and fouls don’t
count as strikes.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home