} } Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp: Journals: Hispanic Heritage Day

Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp

Texas youth are gathering for a week at Fort McKavett to learn about the rich cultural heritage of Texas. "Old Stories, New Voices" provides students the opportunity to experience Native American, Hispanic, African-American and Anglo contributions to the history and culture of Texas!

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Journals: Hispanic Heritage Day


Journal prompts:
1. Yesterday you made a retablo. What does your retablo look like?
2. Did you enjoy making tortillas? Why or why not?
3. What did you see at the Menardville Museum?

Company C

Tiana P.
Making tortillas was fun. I like flour tortillas with butter and cinnamon. At the museum I saw a gun holes from where the man got mad.

Katelynn S
My retablo has an angel praying to God. It is very pretty. It was an awesome activity. I loved making tortillas. It was fun because you actually got to squash the dough and put it on the pan. My favorite part of the museum was the saloon. You could see bullot shots on the roof.

Insypr S.
My retablo was dedicated to Ivory. So my retablo said Ivory in different colors. It was all white and blue around and it has symbols for peace, love and happiness. I enjoyed making tortillas, especially the four ones. The flour ones had melted butter and cinnamon. I saw a saloon at the museum that had gun shots in the glass. I also saw a game of cards.

Armondo H.
My retablo looks like a cross. It also has many colors and my initials. I enjoyed making tortillas because we got to eat them and they were good. At the museum, I saw a saloon, guns, type writers, a cannon ball and some army helmets.

James W.
My retablo was horrifying because I am very terrible at artistic skills. I enjoyed making tortillas because when I finished I got to eat them. I also enjoyed it because I learned something new. At the museum I saw many different periods of ancient artifacts.

Emma B.
I made a cross and put Jesus Loves Me on my retablo, and put flowers at the end. I t was fun to see how tortillas are made and when we got to make our own and then eat it. We saw a lot of old type writers and helmets from the wars at the museum. Also dresses made 100 years ago! One of my favorite places was the black smith place.

Phillip N.
My retablo had a knothole. I enjoyed making tortillas because I had butter and spices on my tortilla. At the museum I saw old models, riifles and battered bar.

Cullen B.
My retablo looked horrible, I didn’t do it right. I enjoyed making tortillas because I got to eat them. They tasted good. I put a bunch of cinnamon on it. At the museum I saw different things from different times.

Faith S.
My retablo has a cross on it and it says “In God We Trust.” I enjoyed making tortillas because I could roll it out myself and fry it. At the Menardville Museum I saw a very old case register and the old war helmets.

Haleigh C.
My retablo is a piece of wood and you get to paint it however you want it. I did enjoy making tortillas because they were very good and they were homemade. At the museum I saw stuff from the past and a old saloon where a guy got shot.

Madelon C.
My retablo has all different colors, has the word peace and has designs. I enjoyed making tortillas because you can make them with friends or family and make different shapes. At the museum I saw many type writers, dresses, World War I helmets and the saloon.

Jasmin S.
A retablo is a piece of wood in a rectangle and you put your design on it. I liked making tortillas because it is really fun and tastes good. At the Menardville Museum a got to see a lot of old Menard history and fun facts.

Jamie H.
My retablo is my name with different color blotches. I enjoyed making tortillas because it was fun rolling out the dough, making designs out of them, and of course eating them. At the museum I saw old Menard letter jackets.

Company A

Kameron S.
I have a white cross with, I love you on it, with a blue background.
Making tortillas was ok, I put everything that they had on it.
At the Menardville Museum, I saw clothes and typewriters.

Morgan W.
My retablo looks like splatter paint.
Yes, because we got to eat them after we made them.
We saw old typewriters and cash registers.

Julio G.
My retablo is painted with all the colors we could make, mainly stripes.
Yes because you get to choose the size of the tortilla and then put butter on it.
We saw things that belonged to the Germans from 1864.

Jakayly S.
I painted my name in different colors.
I liked making tortillas a lot, though I have made them before.
I was Princess Winona’s dress and purse, and a lot of antiques.  I have been to the Menardville Museum before.

Emily R.
Mine was a world were there were the homes live in the sky and at night the sun comes out.
I did enjoy making tortillas because they tasted awesome.
I saw old cash registers.

Savanah G.
I painted a cross with flowers.
I enjoyed making tortillas because we got to eat them after we cooked them and tasted good.
I saw old cash registers.

Angela S.
It is blue and outlined with black.  It is a surprise.
I did not like making tortillas because it hurt my stomach.
I didn’t go to the Museum, because I wasn’t feeling well.

Jacolby M.
I made a cross and an angel on it.
Yes, I liked learning about it but did not eat it because I was not hungary.
I saw pictures of army men, guns, cash registers, typewriters, and cannon balls.

Victoria P.
I colored a brown cross and I put water around it.  I put a shadow on the water and there are flowers on the cross.
Yes, I did enjoy making tortillas because I normally don’t make tortillas. I just buy them.
Isaac R.
It looks like a sign from a game called infinity blade.
Yes, I enjoyed it very much because it was a tasty learning experience.
I saw the blacksmith shop, guns, and even the pictures of the people who attended world war II.


Company B

Meliny R.
My retablo looks like a deer.  It was at night and had fireflies, a hill, and tall grass.
I liked making flour tortillas, they tasted really good.
I saw old dolls and dresses.  We saw old canoes.

Noah R.
My retablo has a big cross with the sun shining and it made a shadow.
Yes because it was fun and we got to eat them.
I saw pictures of people that fought from Menard.  I saw a bathtub, a type writer, and the saloon.

Kayla S.
I painted a cross with the sky.
Yes, I enjoyed making tortillas, because we got to eat them.
I saw a lot of old thing that they have.

Joshua R.
My retablo has a white house with a red roof and smoke coming out of the fireplace top and a white fence.
I enjoyed the flour tortillas but not the corn because it tasted bad.
I saw a saloon, blacksmith workshop, cannonballs, and World War II helmets.


Taylor W.
I painted squares of color…bright colors.
Yes it was cool pressing with the presser and rolling the dough.
I saw a bartender, milk can, and the wooden bar set.

Kourtnie S.
I painted a paw and wrote “respect the paw” on it.
Not really, I’m not a big fan of tortillas.
I saw wedding dresses for the girls and a sewing machine, guns, and things for the saloon.

Morgan B.
My retablo is very colorful with a cross.
Yes, I shaped it like a heart.
I saw old cannon balls.

James C.
My retablo looks like Pikachu.
I did enjoy making tortillas because they were awesome.
I saw old equipment and a lot of pictures.

Brianna P.
It has a cross with a heart in the middle and a white flower in the heart with a green border.
Yes because it was fun and now I can make them at home.
I saw a bread maker, cannon ball, and wine maker.

Jordyn T.
It looks like a cross with flowers wrapped around it.  It is very pretty.
Yes, because they were delicious, especially the flour tortillas.
I saw old stuff that was a part of history.  My favorite part was when I got to see the two black soldiers that fought in World War II.

Josh H.
I painted a cross with flowers.
Yes the tortillas were good.
I saw a bathtub, cannon balls, a butcher knife, and cash registers.


Jaden S.
I painted a horse in a pasture.
I like to make tortillas.
I saw a gun and helmets.





9 Comments:

  • At June 26, 2012 at 11:33 AM , Blogger lkboettger said...

    Cullen B.

    Glad you had fun making tortillas! Hope you enjoy canoeing today!!!

    Love ya,

    Mom

     
  • At June 26, 2012 at 11:34 AM , Blogger lkboettger said...

    Angela S.

    Glad you are feeling a little better! Hope you get to have more fun today!!

    Love you,

    Aunt Lesley

     
  • At June 26, 2012 at 1:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Jamie H:)

    I can't wait to see your retablo! Did Alfredo's mom teach you how to make tortillas? Have fun canoeing today!!!!

    Love,

    Mom & Dad

     
  • At June 26, 2012 at 5:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Jaden S.
    We are so glad you are having fun at camp. I know you will love canoeing and the camp out. We are looking forward to hearing all about it.
    Love you lots!
    Momma and Daddy

     
  • At June 26, 2012 at 5:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Jakayly S.,
    Sounds like you are really having fun at camp. We can't wait to hear all about it! Have fun at the river.
    Love,
    Daddy and Momma

     
  • At June 26, 2012 at 8:50 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Angela S,
    I'm very happy you are feeling better. I'm ready to see my surprise. Hope you had lots of fun today. Have a great day tomorrow and have lots of fun while staying safe. Aurora and Kayla say they miss you.
    Love you, miss you,
    Jennifer

     
  • At June 26, 2012 at 8:52 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Cullen B,
    Now that you know how to make tortillas, you will have to make some for all of us when you get home. Have lots of fun tomorrow and stay safe.
    Love you,
    Aunt Jennifer

     
  • At June 27, 2012 at 7:25 AM , Blogger Mrs. Wheaton said...

    Jordyn T.,
    Wow you actually cooked!!!! Can you make us some tortillas when you come home? I know you enjoyed that. We love and miss you to ...Stay cool, have a good time and learn many things.
    Love Always,
    Mom, Dad, A.J and Grandma

     
  • At June 27, 2012 at 5:31 PM , Anonymous Margarett G. said...

    James C.

    It sounds like you are having a great time! I hope you enjoy you canoe and camping trip.

    Maddy, Granddaddy and I miss you lots!!

    Love ya,
    Grandmommy

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home