} } Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp: Postcards from Camp: June 26, 2012

Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp

Texas youth are gathering for a week at Fort McKavett to learn about the rich cultural heritage of Texas. "Old Stories, New Voices" provides students the opportunity to experience Native American, Hispanic, African-American and Anglo contributions to the history and culture of Texas!

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Postcards from Camp: June 26, 2012


Postcards from Camp: Tuesday, June 26, 2012
Company A

Dear Mom and Dad,
My favorite Hispanic heritage activity is dancing and listening to the Mariachi and their music.
Signed,
Isaac R.

Dear Jane,
Yesterday I made a retablo with a cross on it and there were flowers on the cross.
Signed,
Victoria P.

Dear Mom and Dad,
I liked all of the Hispanic heritage activities but I really liked making the tortilla because it was fun.
Signed,
Jacolby M.

Dear Mom,
I miss you. Cullen is better now. I painted you a retablo, that’s a painting. Can’t wait to give it to you! Shhh, it’s a surprise!
Signed,
Angela S.

Dear Mom,
Yesterday I made a retablo as a cross with flowers. After that I made tortillas with y’all and it was really fun.
Signed,
Savanah G.

Dear Family,
I liked making tortillas on Hispanic heritage day because we got to eat them!
Signed,
Emily R.

Dear Moma and Daddy,
I made tortillas, it was fun. I did the best out of my company. I love y’all!
Signed,
Jakayly S.

Dear Mom,
I liked when we did the tortillas because they were really good and I ate four tortillas in total.
Signed,
Julio G.

Dear Family,
My favorite part of Hispanic heritage day was the Mariachi because we got to dance and listen to their music.
Signed,
Morgan W.

Dear Mom and Dad,
My favorite part of Hispanic heritage day was the Mariachi because we got to dance. I hugged a Mariachi girl.
Signed,
Kameron S.

Company B

Dear Moma and Daddy,
I went to a museum, shot a bow. I hope I can see you soon.
Signed,
Jaden S.

Dear Grandma,
I had lots of fun dancing and singing on Hispanic heritage day.
Signed,
Josh H.

Dear Mommy,
Yesterday I enjoyed a Mariachi band and I got to dance a Mariachi dance. I also made the most delicious corn and flour tortillas. I love you.
Signed,
Jordyn T.

Dear Mom,
I like the Mariachi band, and when they came and sang to us.
Signed,
Briana P.

Dear Maddy,
I saw a Mariachi band yesterday. It was awesome!
Signed,
James C.

Dear Mom and Dad <3
I missed you last night. But yesterday I saw a Mariachi band. It was awesome!
Signed,
Morgan B.

Dear NeNe,
We made tortillas and retables and saw a Mariachi dance.
Signed,
Kourtnie S.

Dear Mom and Dad,
I enjoyed the Mariachi band, they did an English song called “Can’t Take My Eyes Off Of You” and the singer sang in front of us and he sang to me, Katelynn, Tiana and Briana!
Signed,
Taylor

Dear Daddy,
The Mariachi band was my favorite part of Hispanic heritage day because the music sounds good.
Signed,
Joshua R.

Dear Wendy,
I had to dance and listen to music on Hispanic heritage day.
Signed,
Kaylah S.

Dear Family,
Yesterday I saw my dad while I was on my way to Menard. I made tortillas yesterday, they were awesome. I danced to a song that the Mariachi played.
Signed,
Noah R.

Dear Mother,
I saw and heard a Mariachi band. I got to dance with them. I made tortillas tortillas and I ate them too.
Signed,
Meliny R.

Company C

Dear Mom,
We did a lot of things today, but out of all of them, my favorite was going to the Menardville Museum because we got to look at old things.  There was a saloon, and we got to see where a man got shot and where the bullet landed.
Signed,
Jamie H.

Dear Mom, Dad, and Family,
We did lots of fun stuff.  I miss you all very much, and I can’t wait to see you.  We danced to Mariachi music and it was fun.  Write back to me please.
Signed,
Jasmin S.

Dear Dad,
I saw the Presidio today, it was cool.  I saw the Menardville Depot, made tortillas, and danced to Mariachi music.  I miss you, see you soon.
Signed,
Madelon

Dear Mom,
Yesterday we made tortillas and retablos.  We also heard a Mariachi band.
Signed,
Haleigh C.

Dear Mommy,
I saw the old Spanish fort.  The fort was all blown up.  We heard Mariachi music and we all danced like crazy.
Signed,
Faith S.

Dear Other Dude,
I enjoyed making tortillas, because I got to eat them.
Signed,
Cullen B.

Dear Mom,
I did the same routine as always.  We went to Menard and learned about the Mexican Heritage.  We went to the museum and danced.
Signed,
Phillip N.

Dear Mom & Dad,
My favorite activity on Hispanic Heritage day was the Mariachi band, we got to sing, dance, and learn about the instruments.
Signed,
Emma B.
Dear Family,
My favorite Hispanic Heritage activity was making tortillas, because now I can make both corn and flour tortillas.
Signed,
James W.

Dear Dad,
Yesterday was Hispanic Heritage Day.  We got to make tortillas, go to the Presidio and to the Menardville Museum.
Signed,
Armanado H.

Dear Family,
My favorite activity on Hispanic Heritage Day was the retablos, because I worked really hard and it was awesome.
Signed,
Sugar Cookie (Inspyr S.)

Dear Nene,
The Retablos was the awesomest project here, besides shinny!  Painting the retablo was cool because you got to be creative with your design.  I can’t wait to see you!!!
Signed,
Katelynn S.

Dear Sunshine,
I went to hear a Mariachi Band.  We got to sing and dance. 
Signed,
Tiana P.

13 Comments:

  • At June 26, 2012 at 10:58 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Dear Victoria P.

    The painting and design sound awesome. Can't wait for you to make to tortillas.

    Have a wonderful day.

    Mom

     
  • At June 26, 2012 at 11:03 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Dear Briana P.

    Do you recall the Mariachi band at El Ranchero?

    My phone is not working. It stayed out to late last night. Translation: I found the phone swimming in a glass of tea. Oh, well. I have email and facebook.

    See you soon.

    Mom

     
  • At June 26, 2012 at 11:39 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Dear Morgan B.

    It is great that you miss your Mom and Dad. I miss mine too. And I miss my kids at camp.

    Hope you are having a great time.

    Keep it real.

    Nancy Patton
    Victoria's Mom

     
  • At June 26, 2012 at 11:46 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Taylor W.

    I love that song.

    You're just too good to be true.
    Can't take my eyes off you.
    You'd be like Heaven to touch.
    I wanna hold you so much.
    At long last love has arrived
    And I thank God I'm alive.
    You're just too good to be true.
    Can't take my eyes off you.

    It must have been really special for him to sing it to ya'll.

    Peace.

    Nancy Patton
    Nene's friend

     
  • At June 26, 2012 at 11:49 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Kourtnie S.

    Maybe all you girls could make tortillas for the food pantry before the summer is over. We have a lot of those grills.

    Sure would be nice.

    Tortillas for 500. Coming up.

    Think about it.

    Nancy Patton
    Nene's friend

     
  • At June 26, 2012 at 11:56 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Dear Tiana,

    I didn't get up til now, almost noon. I played with Paloma and Sunshine yesterday. Amy, Niki's sister, came over. We took Cloe for a walk and played piano.

    Hope you're havin fun.

    See you Friday.

    Jane

     
  • At June 26, 2012 at 12:13 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Dear Katelynn,

    I know your Nene misses you too. Maybe today I can get over there to help her blog.

    You will have to teach us about the painting and design you did.

    See you Friday.

    Nancy Patton
    Nene's friend
    Tiana's Mom
    Someone you can always call and there will be no questions asked.

     
  • At June 26, 2012 at 12:18 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Dear Emma,

    Maybe some time our two families can go to El Ranchero to hear the Mariachi Band. I know Victoria would like that.

    See you soon.

    Nancy Patton
    Victoria's Mom
    aka: Nana

     
  • At June 26, 2012 at 12:42 PM , Blogger AMBER ESTEP said...

    Dear jasmin S that good u r have fun i miss u to very much love u very much can't wait to see u to love mom &dad

     
  • At June 26, 2012 at 6:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Dear Jamie H,

    The Menardville Museum is awesome! I'm so glad you are having so much fun. It is good for you to learn about Menard and the history of the area. We love you!

    Mom, Dad & Roy

     
  • At June 27, 2012 at 9:36 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Dear Victoria P.

    Hope you're having fun at camp. It sounds like you are from your blogs. Miss you.

    Papa

     
  • At June 27, 2012 at 9:37 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Dear Briana P.

    Looks like you're having a good time at camp. Miss you.

    Papa

     
  • At June 27, 2012 at 9:39 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Dear Tiana P.

    Hope everything is going ok at camp. Miss you.

    Papa

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home