} } Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp: Postcards from Camp: Monday, June 25, 2012

Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp

Texas youth are gathering for a week at Fort McKavett to learn about the rich cultural heritage of Texas. "Old Stories, New Voices" provides students the opportunity to experience Native American, Hispanic, African-American and Anglo contributions to the history and culture of Texas!

Monday, June 25, 2012

Postcards from Camp: Monday, June 25, 2012



Company B

Dear Mom,
I learned how to take an arrow out of someone’s chest. I have no clue what it’s called.
Signed,
James C

Dear Emily,
Yesterday I learned how to do a snake dance, I show a bow and arrow, I weaved and swam.
Signed,
Noah R.

Dear Dad,
I learned how to dance and sing like the Native Americans. They showed us the materials they use for dancing. And the Native American presenter gave us a rattle.
Signed,
Meliny R.

Dear Wendy,
I did a dance and something new.
Signed,
Kaylah S.

Dear Mom and Dad,
I miss you a lot. See you Friday. I’m having fun. Love you.
Signed,
Taylor W.

Dear Moma and Daddy,
I am having fun. I miss you.
Signed,
Jaden S.

Dear Grandma,
I learned some Chickasaw words, and I’ll share them with you when I go home.
Signed,
Josh H.

Dear NeNe,
I learned a Native American skill called shinny. You would have sticks and would try to put a ball in a goal. They had two teams, one set of sticks had black tops and one had white tops.
Signed,
Kourtnie S.

Dear Mommy and Daddy,
We did weaving, archery and a game called shinny.
Signed,
Morgan B.

Dear Mom,
I learned how to shoot a bow and arrow. It was easy but the first one was hard. It was really fun.
Signed,
Briana P.

Dear Daddy,
Shinny is a game with sticks and a ball it is like hockey but you don’t wear armor.
Signed,
Joshua R.

Dear Father,
I miss you so much. I’m very hot down here and I miss you all yelling at me. I love you.
Signed,
Jordyn T


Company A

Dear Dad,
The Native American skill of archery is a hunting skill that needs accuracy and focus.
Signed,
Jacolby M.

Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I learned a hunting skill (archery).  It was fun, it was easy.  It hit one of the targets on my first try.
Signed,
Kameron S.

Dear Mom and Dad,
I learned archery, which is very useful in hunting, if your good at it (which I am!).
Signed,
Isaac R.

Dear Mom,
I learned that the Native American played shinny to entertain themselves.
Signed,
Julio G.

Dear Jane Patton,
Yesterday I learned about a traditional Chickasaw snake dance.  In Chickasaw language, snake is pronounced sita hitoa.
Signed,
Victoria P.

Dear Family,
The Native Americans were able to use nature to make everything that they needed.
Signed,
Emily R.

Dear Mom,
Yesterday I learned about Native American skills.  There was a Native American and he told use about 1900’s baseball and some games that they had back then.  It was really cool.
Signed,
Savanah G.


Dear Maw Maw and Paw Paw,
I learned how to weave.  It was so much fun.  I can’t wait to show ya’ll.
Signed,
Jakayly S.

Dear Mom,
I learned the names of animals in Chickasaw.
Signed,
Angela S.

Dear Mom and Dad,
We made a rattle and it was great.  Ours were small rattles; the Chickasaw rattles were made of turtle shells.
Signed,
Morgan W.




Company C

Dear Nene,
Native Americans would use a bow and arrow to hunt animals to feed their family.  It is called archery.
Signed,
Katelynn S.

Dear Family,
Archery is used with a bow and arrow.  On the arrow there is space for the string on the bow.  You pull back with your three middle fingers and release.
Signed,
Inspyr S.

Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I learned how to play shinny and also to shoot a bow and arrow.  I got hit on the shin a lot hence the name “shinny”.
Signed,
James W.

Dear Mom and Dad,
I learned how to shoot bows and arrows.  It was so cool but I missed every target.  I hope when I get home I can shoot some more.
Love,
Emma

Dear Grandma,
Yesterday I shot bows and arrows, played shinny and weaved.  I’m ready for today.
Signed,
Armando H.

Dear Mom,
During Native American day, we learned archery, shinny, learned a snake dance, and went swimming.
Signed,
Haleigh C.


Dear Candice,
Yesterday I learned to weave.  Weaving is just like sewing or knitting like we know!  I miss you and hope you read this.
Miss you,
Madelon C.

Dear Mommy,
Now I know how the cowboys made toothpaste.  I really miss you.
Signed,
Faith S.


Dear Other Dude (you know who you are - ?),
I got to shoot a long bow and a compound bow.  I would have killed a deer on my first shot.
Signed,
Cullen B.

Dear Mom,
I woke up and ate breakfast. Then we went and played shinny.  Soon after we went swimming.
Signed,
Phillip N.

Dear Jane,
Hi...I played shinny and I did some weaving and archery.
Signed,
Tiana P.

Dear Mom,
We learned a traditional dance called the Snake Dance. It's where you move like a snake. I LOVE you and I miss you.
Signed,
Jamie H.

Dear Family,
We did swimming, archery, shinny, weaving. It was all very fun, can't wait to see all of y'all. Love y'all.
Signed,
Jasmin S.







9 Comments:

  • At June 25, 2012 at 5:02 PM , Blogger lkboettger said...

    Cullen B.
    Wow! Sounds like you did great with the archery! Keep having fun!

    Love ya!
    Mom

     
  • At June 25, 2012 at 5:03 PM , Blogger lkboettger said...

    Angela S.

    You'll have to teach me the animal names Mischief!

    Love ya,

    Aunt Lesley

     
  • At June 25, 2012 at 5:36 PM , Anonymous Maddy C. said...

    Dear James C.

    It's me Maddy. I hope you are having a good time. I miss you.

    Maddy

     
  • At June 25, 2012 at 7:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Isaac-
    Sounds like you are having lots of fun. Daddy said you are ready for your own bow. How are your new friends?
    The girls said they miss you and hope to see you soon.

    Love, Mom and Dad

     
  • At June 25, 2012 at 7:40 PM , Blogger Mrs. Wheaton said...

    Jordyn T.
    Keep family buisness at home and continue to enjoy yourself...you are a lucky and blessed kid because there are many that don't get these opportunities.
    Love Daddy Rob

     
  • At June 25, 2012 at 7:48 PM , Anonymous Nikki Cure said...

    James C. - well I am glad you learned how to do that. Keep having fun. Love Mom.

     
  • At June 25, 2012 at 8:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Jamie H - I'm so happy to hear from you and that you are learning so much! Keep having fun and make every second count. We love you!!

    Mom & Dad & Bubba

     
  • At June 25, 2012 at 9:05 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Dear Tiana P.

    It all looks like so much fun. Jason is barkin so I'd better go let him in. Dad is workin and Jane is at "you know where" Paloma's. Can't wait to see what you blog tomorrow.

    Mom

     
  • At June 26, 2012 at 1:26 AM , Blogger AMBER ESTEP said...

    Dear jasmin S.

    we miss u to have a good time love mom jerry miss u and sad he love and DaD love u to arrial love u to we all miss u so much ????????????

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home