} } Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp: Postcards from Camp: Saturday, June 23, 2012

Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp

Texas youth are gathering for a week at Fort McKavett to learn about the rich cultural heritage of Texas. "Old Stories, New Voices" provides students the opportunity to experience Native American, Hispanic, African-American and Anglo contributions to the history and culture of Texas!

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Postcards from Camp: Saturday, June 23, 2012

Editor's Note: Each full day of camp, we will try to post multiple updates. One update is called "Postcards from Camp" where campers answer questions prompted in their journals. In another daily update, we will also post your camper's responses to daily prompts about yesterday's activities. Finally, we try to upload a few photos each day. The internet connection is a little bit slow out here so if you don't see a lot of photos, don't worry! We've taken plenty and we'll post them on a password protected Shutterfly account after camp is over.  Your camper's writing will always be posted with the rest of their company and in a random order. 


Postcards from Camp: Saturday, June 23, 2012


Company C

Dear Mom,
Today the ride was fun. I saw a lot of things like the lime stone kiln and the creek, and saw and met, a lot of people. Love you and miss you!
Signed,
Jamie H

Dear Mom,
Today I went to Fort McKavett and met some new friends. We took down a giant flag and ate chicken.
Signed,
Phillip N.

Dear Mom,
Today I met Emma, a great girl. I am in C Company again. Exiting to be here and meet people. Miss you and writing home. Hope I have a great time.
Signed,
Madelon C

Dear Mom,
Today I learned what we were going to do all week.
Signed,
Haleigh C

Dear Family :-)
Today I did a lot of stuff. I had a lot of fun. I Can’t wait to see you. Love all of y’all.
Signed,
Jasmin S. <3 :-P
 
Dear Nene,
First off the ride here was LONG. But it’s worth it. I made some new friends, their names are Inspyr and Emma.
Signed,
Katelynn S.

Dear Mommy,
Today I saw a cattle ranch and I saw billy goats. The drive here was fun but I got car sick. It was so awesome Good bye.
Signed,
Faith S.

Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I took a really long and boring 6 hour ride to camp. I saw lots of hills and ancient ruins. Today I met so many new people and actually made new friends.
Signed,
James W.

Dear Emily,
I visited a creek and made some new friends.
Signed,
Tiana P.

Dear Mom,
Today I made a new friend named James. There was a long trip here, so I talked to James.
Signed,
Cullen B.

Dear Grandma,
Today I met some new people. It was fun on the way over here. It only took twenty minutes to get to camp.
Signed,
Armando H.

Dear Family,
Today I met lots of new people such as Emma, Madolyn, and Katelynn. I learned about different kinds of bugs and got to know the camp.
Signed,
Inspyr S.

Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I met Madolyn Inspyr and met a lot of other people. The camp is really cook. The dinner was great and they have fans in the windows at our bunks so I can sleep good.
Signed,
Emma B.




Company A

Dear Mom,
Today I had fun.
Signed, 
Jacolby M.

Dear Mom,
Today I saw lots of cows, horses, and pigs.  I met a lot of people.  The food is good!
Signed,
Kameron S.


Dear Family,
Today I came to Fort McKavett and had a great time.
Signed, 
Morgan W.


Dear Mom,
Today I went to get settled at my camp site, and then we looked all around the valley.  We ate an awesome dinner, and the kids in my company are really nice.
Signed,
Savanah G.


Dear Mom,
Today I went through San Antonio; saw the ruins of Fort McKavett and the valley around it.  I met three boys named Julio, Cameron, and Jacolby. 
Signed, 
Isaac  R.


Dear Mom,
Today I got to Fort McKavett at 3:00.  We passed through San Antonio.  The fort is like a valley with a lot of hills and trees.
Signed,
Julio G.

Dear Family,
Today I learned about the United States flag and where the soliders stayed.  Today I got to take down the fort’s flag and took a tour.
Signed,
Emily R.


Dear Mom,
Today was really fun, except the bus ride! I miss you already.  Right before supper my allergies started to act up and my stomach hurt. Right now I’m writing you.
Signed, 
Angela S.


Dear Mom,
First we drove all the way through San Antonio, and then we ate lunch.  We finally arrived at Fort McKavett and took a tour, and we got to see all the big buildings, even the ones that got destroyed.
Signed,
Victoria P.

Dear Momma and Daddy,
Today I visited with my counselors, and looked around.  I can’t wait until we get to swim.
Signed,
Jakayly S.


Company B


Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I lowered the flag, saw giant crickets and grass hoppers.  One came under my bed so I named it Jaffy Jr.
Signed, 
Morgan B.


Dear Mother,
Today I got to see some old building that fell.  We showed respect to the flag, and saw it room.  Some of it was full of crickets.
Signed, 
Meliny R.

Dear Daddy,
Today I met a boy named Jaden.  He’s a country boy that is homeschooled.  I tried some salad, and cherry cobbler.  We took a tour around the fort.
Signed,
Joshua R.


Dear Family,
Today I met people and saw places.  I got top bunk, Mando is sleeping under me.
Signed,
Noah R.


Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I rode in a car for six hours, and made new friends.

Love you,
Taylor W.


Dear Mom (Nana)
Today I had a great time at camp and learned all kinds of things although I could have done without the heat.  I was still fun.
Signed,
Briana P.


Dear Grandma,
Today we learned a lot about history and we played games.
Signed,
Kaylah S.

Dear Momma,
Today I learned about the camp grounds and had the best dinner I’ve ever had.  Anyways I’m behaving and I love you.
Signed,
Jordyn T.


Dear Nene,
Today I saw and elarned about all the buildings that are about 150 years old.  We took down the colors and met each other.  So far it is really fun.
Signed,
Kourtnie S.


Dear Maddy,
Today I looked at a few ruins that crumbled to tiny rocks.  I saw a cannon on a porch and I walked a lot !!!!!
Signed,
James C.


Dear Grandma,
Today I had lots of fun, and I can’t wait until tomorrow.
Signed, 
Josh H.


Dear Momma and Daddy,
Today I played games and lowered the US flag.  I also saluted to the flag.
Signed,
Jaden S.

13 Comments:

  • At June 23, 2012 at 9:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    James C. - glad you had a good day. Love Maddy and Mom.

     
  • At June 23, 2012 at 10:53 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Hello Faith S.

    I am glad you’re having fun. Be safe and take care of yourself I miss you already and can’t wait for you to tell me all about camp.
    Hey Kameron S

    Auntie misses you and can’t wait for you to come back and tell me all about camp. Be safe and careful out there.
    Howdy, Kayla S.

    This is Auntie I read your post and it sounds like you’re really having a good time. I can’t wait for you to come back and tell me all about camp. I miss you be careful out there.

     
  • At June 23, 2012 at 11:34 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Angela S.,
    I'm glad you had fun today. I miss you already. Have lots of fun tomorrow. I asked Aurora where you were and she said you were sleeping in a tent. :)
    Love, Mom

     
  • At June 23, 2012 at 11:39 PM , Blogger lkboettger said...

    Cullen B.

    Glad you got there and made a friend! We miss you and love you! Vivi says "hello" :)

    Love you!
    Mom

     
  • At June 23, 2012 at 11:47 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Cullen B.,
    I'm glad you are having fun and meeting new friends. Have lots of fun tomorrow.
    Love, Jennifer

     
  • At June 24, 2012 at 8:08 AM , Blogger Mrs. Wheaton said...

    Jordyn T.,
    Glad you are having a great time and behaving. Don't eat up all the peoples food. Can't wait to see pics of you and the other campers. Have a blast sweetie.
    Love, Mommy and Daddy Rob

     
  • At June 24, 2012 at 8:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Jaden S.,
    We are glad you are having fun and learning all about frontier Texas. Have a great week and tell us all about what you learned when you get home.
    Love,
    Momma and Daddy

     
  • At June 24, 2012 at 8:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Jakayly S.,
    Glad you are having fun! We love you and have a wonderful time.
    Love,
    Momma and Daddy

     
  • At June 24, 2012 at 11:30 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Dear Briana,

    Glad you are having fun. We are having record heat over most of Texas. It is not just where you are. I love your journal and hearing from you. Have a great day.

    Mom aka Nana

    PS: Vennie misses you.

     
  • At June 24, 2012 at 11:44 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Dear Victoria,

    Sounds like you are having a great time. Stormy says 'Hi Vicotria! I'm wondering how much fun you are having. Write back, Stormy." Jane says, "Hi Victoria! I'm enjoying my own room. With Stormy!!! Write back. Jane"

    LOL. Have a great time Victoria.

    Love,
    Mom aka Nana

     
  • At June 24, 2012 at 11:46 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Dear Tiana,

    I loved seeing the picture of you. You look like you are enjoying camp. If you are tired just tell the nurse and she will let you lay down. We are having record heat in Texas so it is gonna be hot. Drink water.

    Love Mom aka Nana

     
  • At June 24, 2012 at 8:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi James W,

    We really enjoy your writings on the daily journal. We are very proud of you!

    Have a lot of fun, learn a lot of stuff, and make a lot of friends!!!

    We all miss you very much,

    Love,
    Dad, Mom, Grandpa, and Grandma

     
  • At June 25, 2012 at 2:33 PM , Anonymous Celicia said...

    Dear Spicarelli,
    aka Inspyr S
    I see you being a little social butterfly like normal;). Missy finally got the text to go thru so I was able to come see your blogs.
    Have a wonderful time love.
    Mommy

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home