} } Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp: Postcards from Camp: Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp

Texas youth are gathering for a week at Fort McKavett to learn about the rich cultural heritage of Texas. "Old Stories, New Voices" provides students the opportunity to experience Native American, Hispanic, African-American and Anglo contributions to the history and culture of Texas!

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Postcards from Camp: Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Buffalo Soldier Day


Company A

Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I learned that the buffalo soldiers were black soldiers that faced the challenges no matter what the odds. My favorite activity was bb guns.
Signed,
Isaac R.

Dear Nana,
I learned how to shoot like a Buffalo Solider and march.
Signed,
Victoria P.

Dear Family,
My favorite activity was bb guns. The Buffalo Soldiers taught me how to make tea.
Signed,
Jacolby M.

Dear Jacey,
I miss you so much! I won a stuffed animal that I think you will like. Love you!
Signed,
Jakayly S.

Dear Mom,
My favorite activity was when we used the bb guns and learned how to shoot it safely.
Signed,
Julio G.

Dear Mom and Dad,
My favorite activity was bb guns. The buffalo soldier let me hold his knife.
Signed,
Kameron S.

Dear Family,
My favorite activity was bb guns. I learned that the Buffalo Soldiers were called that because when a tribe of Indians asked god or the creator for the Buffalo they came back and after 3 days African American soldiers were seen with buffalo wool on.
Signed,
Morgan W.

Dear Mom,
I learned about the Buffalo Soldiers and that they are called the Buffalo Soldiers because they wore buffalo skin and it was very cool.
Signed,
Savanah G.

Dear Mom and Dad,
I liked when we marched like the Buffalo Soldiers. I also learned how to shoot like the buffalo soldiers.
Signed,
Emily R.

Dear Mom,
The Buffalo Soldier was awesome! He made the boys stand up so the girls could pick first. My favorite part was when he came and talked to us. I learned that the only recorded girl Buffalo Solider was supposed to be stationed at Fort McKavett but she got frost bite.
Signed,
Angela S.

Company C

Dear Jane,
I learned how to play 19th century baseball, it was fun.
Signed,
Tiana

Dear Mommy,
My favorite activity during Buffalo Solider day was shooting the BB guns, because I shot all the cans.
Signed,
Faith S.

Dear Mom,
The Buffalo Solider sharpened a stick with his knife.
Signed,
Cullen B.

Dear Mom,
I got to shoot BB guns and play 19th century baseball.  Then we went swimming and had dinner.
Signed,
Phillip N.

Dear Family,
Today I played 19th century baseball.  It is different from the game we play today.  I am making friends and will be coming home soon.
Signed,
Madelon C.

Dear Mom & Dad,
I learned that the Buffalo Soldiers had to eat stale bread and were treated badly and were in the War for Independence.
Signed,
Emma B.

Dear Mom and Dad,
I learned a lot about the Buffalo Soldiers such as, how the Buffalo Soldiers lived and what they used to stay alive.  My favorite activity was the BB gun practice.
Signed,
James W.

Dear Dad,
Yesterday it was Buffalo Soldier day.  We got to shoot BB guns, play 19th century baseball, and a guy talked to us about the Buffalo Soldiers.
Signed,
Amanda H.



Dear Nene,
My favorite activity from Buffalo Soldier day was the 19th century baseball.  19th century baseball was my favorite activity because our team won J!
Signed,
Katelynn S.

Dear Mom,
I learned that tea was very expensive for Buffalo Soldiers to buy.
Signed,
Jamie H.

Dear Mom, Dad, and Family,
I had a lot of fun, we played 19th century baseball.  I hit it way out in the outfield and almost made a homerun.  I can’t wait to see ya’ll, miss ya’ll. 
Signed,
Jasmin S.


Dear Mom,
We shot BB guns, learned about Buffalo Soldiers, learned a drill practice, and played 19th century baseball.
Signed,
Haleigh C.


Dear Family,
I enjoyed learning about the Buffalo Soldiers way of life.  They used fish scales for a nail file and did many more other things.  I miss and love you all.
Signed,
Spyda (Inspyr S.)


Company B

Dear Mom,
My favorite activity on Buffalo Soldier day was when we got to look at all his stuff and see how it is different from ours.
Signed,
Briana P.

Dear Family,
I learned how the Buffalo Soldiers got their name, and played 19th century baseball.
Signed,
Noah R.

Dear Brother,
Buffalo Soldier day was the bomb.  We had an actual Buffalo Soldier Sargent come, his name was Mr. Ken.  He let us touch stuff that a museum would never let us touch.
Signed,
Jordan T.

Dear Daddy,
I learned how to use a mirror to sign for help.
Signed,
Joshua

Dear Momma and Daddy,
I am having fun, and am excited to see you tomorrow.
Signed,
Jaden S.

Dear Grandma,
I liked being on guard duty and shooting the BB guns.
Signed,
Josh H.

Dear Mom,
My favorite activity was shooting the BB guns, and I learned it’s about hunger when you hunt.
Signed,
James C.

Dear Nene,
I learned a lot of cool things about the buffalo soldiers.
Signed,
Kourtnie S.

Dear Mom and Dad,
We went to a hospital on the fort with a dead house and a museum.  I miss you and love you.
Signed,
Morgan B.

Dear Wendy,
I had fun and played the whole day.
Signed,
Kaylah S.

Dear Father,
I used a wooden gun. 
Signed,
Meliny R.

Dear Mom and Dad,
The museum was my favorite part of Buffalo Soldier day, because there was a lot of cool stuff.  I love you.
Signed,
Taylor W.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home