} } Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp: Camper Journals: Sunday, June 23, 2013

Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp

Texas youth are gathering for a week at Fort McKavett to learn about the rich cultural heritage of Texas. "Old Stories, New Voices" provides students the opportunity to experience Native American, Hispanic, African-American and Anglo contributions to the history and culture of Texas!

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Camper Journals: Sunday, June 23, 2013

Here are today’s writing prompts:

1. Have you been to camp before? If so, how is this camp different from others you have attended? If this is your first time at camp, describe what you are feeling right now.

2. Are you excited to learn new things and meet new friends? Who is in your company?

Company C

Collyn S.
Yes, I have been to camp before and it is different because I learned more about history. I also learned more about our ancestors. I am very excited about this camp and happy I am in this camp. I am happy that I am in Company C.

Morgan T.
I have been to camp before. This camp is different because no other camp sleeps in old barracks. They also teach me about a lot of history. I am excited to meet new people and learn new things. Mr. Brandon, Samira and Cheyenne are in my company.  

Mikayla H.
I feel so happy and I hope that I get to come next year and the year after that and I also feel excited. I’m excited to meet new friends but I will be sad when they leave. I’ve met a lot a lot of new friends. Everybody is my friend in Company C. But most of all I like the food.

Phillip N.
I went to camp before and it was this place. It’s not as good as last year. I have met a friend named Simon but I don’t know the rest yet.

Diego M.
I feel a little homesick. The showers and barracks are different than I am used to. But this camp can get fun at the end. I am excited about swimming and canoeing. I met David and Phillip.

Gavin B.
I’ve never been to a camp and I’m feeling confident that it’s going to be a good week. For the first time I’ve been to a camp it’s pretty good. I’m super duper excited to learn new things. The people in my company are: Xavier Jasmin, Collyn, Cheyenne, Morgan, Diego, Phillip, Simon, Mikayla, Samira, Alex, Daniel and Mr. Brandon.

Xavier A.
I’m feeling very excited, my suspense is building and I feel like a real soldier. I’m very excited to make new friends. I am in Company C and I am friends with Simon, Gavin, Mikayla, Alex, Phillip, Collyn, Daniel, Diego, Morgan and Samira.

Alexandra V.
Well I went to math camp, does that “count”? If it doesn’t then I am very excited to be here. But I also miss my mom and dad. I am very excited about archery. Samira, Jasmine, Daniel, Diego and Mikayla are in my group. I made a lot of new friends.

Simon G.
It is different because there are no bunks or real bathrooms and the food is great. [Editor’s note – we have comfort stations set up with flushing toilets and running water for the kids to use J] Yes, I am excited to learn new things meet new friends. The people in my company are Xavier, Gavin, Phillip, Diago, Morgan and Collyn.

Cheyenne H.
This is my third year at a camp. This camp is really fun. This is who is in my company: Morgan, Brandon, Kendra.

Samira S.
I have not been in camp before. Right now I am feeling great. I am very excited to learn new things and meet new friends. Alex, Mikayla, Jasmin and Morgan are in my company.

Jasmin S.
Yes, I have been to Camp Eagle, it was different because we stayed in actual cabins instead of historical buildings. We went swimming all the time it had a volleyball court, slides and we had s’mores. Gavin, Morgan, Collyn, Mikayla, Xavier, Cheyenne, Alex, Brandon, Patrck, Kendra and lots of people are in my company.

Daniel X.
I haven’t been to a camp like this where you stay away from home for six days. I feel excited and nervous at the same time. Yes, I am very excited. My friends in Company C are Collyn, Xavier, and Diego.

Company B

Jamie H.
Yes, this is my second year at OSNV, it is a week long, I have a water canteen, I sleep on a cot and we have flag raising/lowering. I am very excited to learn new things and meet new people! The people in my company are Connie, Carmen, Morgan, Ashley, Sam and Savannah.

Carmen G.
I feel happy, excited, about Native American Day! Yes, the people who are in my company are Moses, Jamie, Connie, Morgan, Ashley Delling, Nicholas, James, Samantha, Savannah, and Camery.

Connie F.
I feel excited about learning about people back then and how they lived. Yes, in my company are Jamie, Carman, Morgan, Samantha and Terence.

Moses S.
This is my first time at camp and right now I feel like I am going to have fun. James, Delling, Nicholas, Carman, Connie and Morgan are in my company.

James C.
I have been to another camp and it was not an overnight camp. It also had more field trips. We also came earlier than this one. Yes, I am excited and I have already met two new friends. The people in my company are Moses, Delling, Nicholas, James and Carmen.

Morgan W.
At this camp, it is different because we have to act like we are in pioneer life. The people in my company are Terrance, Holden, Savannah, Samantha, Ashely, Jamie, Connie, Carmen, Niko, Delling, James and Moses.

Savannah S.
I have never been to camp before. Holden, Samantha and Camary are in my company, that’s all I know.

Samantha A.
I have never been to camp before. I am feeling happy because I get to learn more about nature and history. I am excited to learn new things and meet new friends! I am in Company B and my friends are Savannah, Ashley, Morgan, Jamie, Carmen, Connie, and all of the boys.

Ashley W.
Yes, I have been to another camp before. The other camps were shorter. I am feeling happy and energetic because I had a delicious breakfast. I am very excited to learn about my ancestors’ culture. The people in my company are Morgan, Jamie, Moses, Samantha, Delling, Carfmen, Connie and some other guys I don’t know.

Nicolas T.
This is my first time at camp and I am not really used to it. I am excited to do archery and other stuff like canoeing and swimming. The people that I know are Moses, Terrence, James, Holden and Delling.

Delling D.
I am as happy as a happy cow!! I think I would want to come back here next year. I have made friends and my group is Company B. I have learned that sleeping in a sleeping bag is not the most comfortable thing.

Terrence R.
No I have not been to camp before b ut I feel this is an awesome opportunity-filled camp. In my company are Holden, Savannah, Nico, Moses, Morgan and that’s all I know in Company B. Yes, I am excited to learn new things and meet new people.

Holden A.
This camp is different because I’ve been to other camps. Yes, I am in company B, the Best of all companies.

Company A

David D.
This camp is different from the other camps I have attended because, it’s an overnight camp and it’s also a 6 day camp.  I am excited to learn new things and make new friends.  Christian, Zach, Joscelyn, JaRayl, Clayton, Tyshun, Galvin, Ivory, Gracie, Will, and Joseph are in my company. 

Arrial E.
This is my first time at camp, and I am having a lot of fun.  I am excited to learn new things and meet new friends.  Tyshun, Ivory, and Gracie are in my company.

JaRayl P.
This camp is different from other camps because it’s an overnight camp.  Lawrence, Cody, Toni Rose, Joscelyn, Joseph, Will, and David are in my company. 

Clayton J.
I have never been to a camp before, but this one is pretty good.  I am excited to learn new things and meet new friends.  Will, Joseph, David, JaRayl, Christian, and Lawrence are in my company.

Will C.
I have been to sports camps before, but nothing like this one.  I am excited to learn new things and make new friends.  Lawrence, Joseph, Cody, Clayton, Toni Rose, Joscelyn, and Arreal are in my company.

Joscelyn A.
This is the first overnight summer camp that I have been too.  The other summer camps that I’ve gone to were not overnight camps; they usually just lasted a few hours.  I am excited to meet new people.  The people in my company (A) are Ivory, Arreal, and Gracie.

Joseph C.
I have never been to a camp like this before.  I have met David, who is in my company. 

Ivory G.
This is my first time at camp and it is pretty fun.  I miss my family back home, but I feel great.  I don’t like how hot it is here.  I am really excited about learning new things. My company is A and the teachers are Toni Rose, and Mr. Cody.

Zachary R.
I have been to other camps.  This one is different from the others because they took place during the school year.  I learned about the outdoors and nature at my other camps too.  I would definitely like to learn new things and be taught how Buffalo Soldier lived.  As for friends, all of these kids are way too young and hyper.  I have made one friend, Angel who I’ve known since the first day of school.

Christian V.
I am feeling pretty excited about Native American day and I am excited about shooting arrows.  The one thing I am not excited about is the showers.  I am very excited to learn about the different cultures and I am happy to meet new friends such as Galvin.  

Gracie W.
I have never been to camp before.  I am feeling good and I am excited to be attending this camp.  I am super excited to learn new things.  Ivory, Joscelyn, Arreal, Galvin, David, Tyshun, and Christian are in my company.

Tyshun S.
I am feeling great because this camp is fun.  My bed was good, but I got a little cold.  I like my counselors.  I am excited to learn new things and meet new friends because all these people are nice.  I am in company A.

Gaven A.
This camp is different from other camps because we are sleeping in a fort and learning new things.  We are also pretending to be soldiers.  I am in company A, and I am excited to meet new friends.  I hope that I have a good time.

Company D

Madelon C.
I have been at camp before.  This camp is more educational and fun.  I really don’t ever stay for a week, but I think this week will be fun.  I am excited to learn new things and meet new friends.  Andrea, Erica, and Joslin are in my company.  The only boys I know are Derek, Nick, and Tyler.

Nick D.
At this camp, I am actually learning something, unlike at my other camps.  Right now, I don’t think I have a sunburn.  I am excited about learning new things and I have 12 people in my company.

Thomas R.
I feel a little sad because this is my first camp.  I feel good and content because I am meeting new people.  I am very excited to learn things because I did not want to be at school.  I have met many people in my company.

Antonio S.
I have been to camp before at future all stars.  We learned about personal space and feelings and we had free time.  Here, we go outside a lot, we drink a lot of water, we get to see ruins, and we get to sleep here.  I am very excited. I am really excited to learn new things.  Tyler, Angel, Nick, and Derek are a few of the people in my company.  Mr. Ron, Savannah, and Miss B are my company leaders. 

Derek S.
I have been to Cub Scout camp which was really cool, but I think this well be better.  I have meet new friends, Anthony, Thomas, and Elijah.

Angel M.
This is the first time that I have been to a camp like this.  It’s ok.  I’m not crazy excited, it’s seems kinda fun, but it feels like school right now.  Derek, Antonio, and Nick are some of the people in my company.  My counselrs are Mr. Ron, Savanna, and Bailey.

Shastia A.
I have been to camp before, but this camp is different from the others because it’s a sleep over camp.  We also sleep in cots, and only have 5 or fewer minutes in the showers. So far I have meet Morgan, Aly, Tyler, Antonio, Angel, Madeline, Derek, Nick, Toni Rose, Bailey, and others.

Erica W.
This is my first time at camp.  I am feeling nervous, but I am having an awesome time.  I am having a hard time being without my parents thought.  It’s weird to be on my own.  It is awesome learning about Texas history, and meeting a lot of great people in my company.

Andrea S.
I have been to other camps before, and they were fun, but this camp is different.  It’s so much more fun.  This camp does things that most camps don’t, this camp is awesome.  I have learned a lot of new things that I didn’t already know about.  I have made new friends, Erica, Madeline, Jillian, Nick, Thomas, Tyler, Aly, Angel, and Derek.

Elijah H.
I have not been to camp before, but I feel happy to be here because we are having a lot of fun.  I am excited to be here and meet new friends.

Jillian A.
I have not been to camp before.  I am feeling brave, excited, and nervous.  I am very excited to learn in things at camp and make new friends.  My company is Delta.

Aly C.
I have not been at camp before, and I am worried about being away from home.  I am excited to learn new things, and so far I have met a girl named Shastia.

Tyler H.
I have been to camp before, where you get to learn how to ride and get to meet other people.  Here you get to see ruins and get to sleep here and meet new people. I am excited to meet new people and learn new things.  Angel, Nick, Anthony, Andrea, Aly, Elijah, and Chelsea are in my company.




  

22 Comments:

  • At June 23, 2013 at 11:47 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Aly, We're glad you're meeting new people. We hope you have a lot of fun. We love you!
    Mom and Dad

     
  • At June 23, 2013 at 12:06 PM , Blogger Ccoyle said...

    Hi Holden,

    Enjoy Native American Day! Have you seen any arrowheads? Have fun!!
    Miss and love you very much!!
    Mom, Dad & (L.D.) Ccoyle

     
  • At June 23, 2013 at 12:15 PM , Blogger Ccoyle said...

    Hi Gaven A.,
    Look forward to hearing of your Native American day
    experience! Have a great time at the pool!!
    Miss & love you very much!!
    Mom,Dad & Mrs.P

     
  • At June 23, 2013 at 12:33 PM , Blogger Kristi Ann said...

    Alex! Love you soo much baby girl. You have a wonderful time and keep making new friends. Today is probably going to be your favorite day since you get to learn archery. Do good!! Mom and Dad love you VERY MUCH!
    P.S. - the Rangers won last night ;)
    Love you bunches and miss you tons...
    Mom

     
  • At June 23, 2013 at 12:42 PM , Blogger Carey said...

    Savannah,

    I hope you were comfortable last night. Sounds like you are making a lot of new friends! That's awesome!! It. Looks like you have a fun filled day today. I hope you enjoy all that you are learning. We love and miss you so much! I slept with Pickles last night ;)

    Love you sweetie!!
    Love Mom and Dad

     
  • At June 23, 2013 at 1:14 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Hi Samantha & Jillian A.,

    I love hearing that you're both so excited!

    Today you are learning how to do archery & weaving, things you've both been waiting to experience. Can't wait to hear all about it!

    Have a great time at the pool this afternoon!

    I'm sure you're enjoying all the desserts & going to come home with sparkling white teeth from brushing super good right. :)

    XOXO, Mom, Dad & Ty

     
  • At June 23, 2013 at 1:59 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Samantha and Jillian,
    Glad you guys are making new friends and having fun.
    Love you girls very much.
    -Dad

     
  • At June 23, 2013 at 3:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Dear Jamie H,

    How wonderful!! Make the most of every experience. I know you are having a great time!! We love hearing from you, so keep the posts coming:)

    Love you.

    Mom & Dad

     
  • At June 23, 2013 at 4:21 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Hey Elijah,

    I knew you would love it! I can't wait to see you so you tell me about everything you are doing! I love you n miss you!

    love,
    mom

     
  • At June 23, 2013 at 5:58 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Aly,
    Don't worry about things at home, I'm sure everything will be there when you get back. Just concentrate on enjoying yourself, having fun and making friends. God bless you! I love you with all my heart! Post again soon; would like to hear more about your days at camp.
    Love,
    Your Grandma Yolie

     
  • At June 23, 2013 at 6:21 PM , Blogger Kristi Ann said...

    Hi Alex!
    I just wanted to send you a note and tell you that I missed watching cartoons with you this morning. I have just been laying around today (mostly under the couch, hiding from Mom!). Wish you were here. Doggie kisses!
    Love, Ranger V

     
  • At June 23, 2013 at 6:31 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Andrea, we're glad you are having so much fun. We all miss you especially Taylor! Have a great time in Presidio tomorrow.
    Love,
    Mom, Dad, Taylor

     
  • At June 23, 2013 at 6:50 PM , Blogger Aldana Family said...

    Xavier, I am so excited to see how much you are enjoying yourself and its only been two days. I look forward to hearing more of what you are doing. Hope you take lots of pictures.
    Love you
    Mom, Dad, Matt and Bolt

     
  • At June 23, 2013 at 6:52 PM , Blogger Aldana Family said...

    Joscelyn,
    I am glad you are making so many friends. I saw you in one of the pictures already and it looks like your having fun. Can't wait to hear your next post.
    Love you
    Mom, Dad, Matt and Bolt

     
  • At June 23, 2013 at 7:03 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Zachary R,
    Try to enjoy every minute and learn as much as you can!! I hope the food is good. Can't wait to hear about your adventures!!

     
  • At June 23, 2013 at 7:27 PM , Blogger Simone said...

    Dearest Aly,
    I am so happy that you went to camp. I hope this a fabulous experience for you. I am so very proud of you! Enjoy your time there!
    Love you!
    -Auntie Simone

     
  • At June 23, 2013 at 8:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey Thomas,
    You are making great memories. Sissy is excited for you and hopes she can join you next summer. Chat with you soon. Love ya, Mama

     
  • At June 23, 2013 at 10:01 PM , Blogger Mary M Garcia said...

    Dear Simon,

    I'm glad that you are eating well. I hope that you are having fun, too. I'd love to hear about what you did today. Did you get to do archery? We miss you lots and keep writing. I love you.

    Love,
    Mama

     
  • At June 24, 2013 at 8:01 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Clayton,

    We hope you are having fun!

    Love,
    Mom, Dad, Penny & Hazel

    p.s. hope you found some soap since you forgot to pack yours.

     
  • At June 24, 2013 at 12:27 PM , Blogger evac218 said...

    Joseph,

    I am glad you are meeting new people! Make friends and enjoy the experience! We miss you a ton! Love you - Mom and Angelina!

     
  • At June 24, 2013 at 4:33 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Hi Daniel,

    It's awesome you made new friends. Can't wait to see your next post about all the fun things.

    Miss and love you very much!!

    Mom, Dad and Jason

     
  • At June 25, 2013 at 12:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi JaRayl,

    You are missed so much, I know know you are having fun. I can't wait to hear all your stories. See you on Friday

    Love Mom

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home