Camper Journals: Monday, June 24, 2013
Here are today’s writing prompts:
1. Yesterday you learned about the life of a Seminole
Indian Scout. What is something you learned?
2. What other interesting facts did you learn about
Native Americans yesterday?
3. What activity did you enjoy most yesterday? Why?
Company A
Will C.
I learned how to spin flying sticks. I also learned how
to tie a knot in a rope without using your fingers. I enjoyed swimming in a
pool because I got to do front flips and back busters plus cannon balls off the
diving board.
Alexandra V.
We learned about fish whistles and children’s toys. I
learned that Native Americans had a dress called the single dress that healed
anyone that listened to it. I enjoyed archery! I love archery and I was so glad
that I got to try it.
Gavin B.
I learned that they lived down by a water source because
they needed water to survive and they could kill more animals. We also learned
some dances from the Eagle Point Dancers. I loved weaving but it was complicated.
Cheyenne H.
I learned how Native Americans lived and that they used
bows and arrows to hunt. I enjoyed shooting bows and arrows because I get to
shoot stuff.
Daniel X.
Native Americans camped near a source of water. Sometimes
they had to battle for good camp grounds. To cook, they wrapped the mean with
plants and heated it with coals. They carved holes out of the ground to ground
nuts in. I enjoyed archery, because I have never shot a bow and arrow before.
Collyn S.
I learned that Native Americans played the flute to get
women to like them and that they killed little animals because of the ice age
that killed the big animals. I learned that they used little animals and used
all of it. I liked shooting the arrows to shoot targets.
Morgan T.
I learned that Native Americans liked to live by the
water. But not on the water’s edge because they don’t want to get flooded out.
I also learned that they can make a wikihut in 30 minutes. I enjoyed the
weaving most of all, it was all so fun.
Jasmin S.
I learned about dancing, what Native Americans ate and
what they did. I learned a lot of stuff. I also learned how they go their food,
cooked, hiked, lived and lots of other stuff. I enjoyed dancing with the Native
Americans. It was my favorite thing and what I enjoyed.
Simon G.
I learned that Native Americans had toys and every shop
can be buffalo skin or hinds and that they have a special way of fishing. I
also learned that they had an oven in the ground. I enjoyed archery, it was the
best because I shot the target.
Phillip N.
I learned that Native Americans used an over shaped rock
to smash and grind. I also learned that they used bows and arrows. I liked
swimming because I did some diving board tricks.
Diego M.
I learned that Native Americans made shoes for warmth. I
also learned they danced for good luck from the gods and to pay tribute. I
enjoyed the Indian dancing, mainly because the dances were interesting.
Samira S.
I learned that Seminole Indians had to live close to the
water. Living close to the water will help because they could get more water to
drink, take a shower and other things. I also learned that Native Americans
dance to some songs to challenge each other. I enjoyed weaving yesterday the
most because I have not tried it and it was really great.
Xavier A.
I learned that Native Americans made many things out of
animal hides and that they had to live near water. I enjoyed the Eagle Point
Dancers. Their dances were very unique.
Mikayla H.
I learned about the Indians and the culture and what they
wore and how it takes them years to make it! I learned about the dances, one
was called the grass dance and another the snake dance! I enjoyed the dances
the most because of the steps and the energy it takes to do it.
Company A
Zachary R.
I learned that the instruments Native Americans played
were very spiritual, like the drum, flute and shaker. I also learned how they
would build shelters out of sticks, rope twigs, and leaves. I enjoyed swimming
in the pool because I got to relax and hang out with Angel.
Joscelyn A.
I learned about the different things that Indians would
do to pass the time, things like games or telling stories. I also learned about
a Native American game called shinny. It’s like field hockey but it is played
with sticks. I enjoyed weaving because it was something simple, but it was very
interesting.
David D.
I learned that Native Americans have unique toys and use
many resources to survive in the wild. I also learned that they played a game
called “shinny” with a stick and you have to hit a ball into a goal. No high
sticking! My favorite activity was swimming because we got to play Marco Polo
in the water and there was a diving board.
Joseph C.
I learned about the toys the Indians played with. One toy
is a climbing bear. I also learned that Native Americans were afraid of cannons
and they had a jingle dress. I enjoyed swimming because it’s fun and you get to
jump off a diving board.
Christian V.
I learned that the buffalo was very important to this civilization,
the buffalo was everything to them. I learned that the Navies uses stuff which
came from rocks to salt meat into jerky. I enjoyed shinny because it was fun
and intense.
Tyshun S.
I learned about a cool game like ball in cup and string
on stick and climbing bear. I also learned that they skinned animals for
clothing. I enjoyed swimming at the Menard Pool because we took a swim test and
I passed.
Gaven A.
I learned that Native Americans do not use their hands to
do the cries and they do not make their camp right by the river. I also learned
that they dance a lot and have a lot of songs. I enjoyed swimming because the
pool had a diving board.
Ivory G.
Yesterday I learned about how the Native Americans cooked
their food. I also learned that the males played music to attractive females.
Another interesting fact I learned that the buffalo was used by Native
Americans. They also skinned animals to keep warm. The activity I liked the
most was [bandolier] bag. I liked it because you got to color the bag.
Arrial E.
I learned where Native Americans lived and got water and
where they cooked. I also learned that they played the flute to attract other
girls. I enjoyed shinny, it was a fun game. We won about the white team.
Clayton J.
I learned that Native Americans crushed food together to
eat like berries and nuts. I also learned that they weaved and sold their
weaving to make money and get warmth. I enjoyed looking at Indian tools because
I learned something new.
Gracie W.
I learned that the male Native Americans play music for
the females, to attract them. I also learned they dug holes in the ground to
cook their foods. I enjoyed shinnying because it was an interesting game and it
was fun to play.
JaRayl P.
I learned that the Native Americans skinned animals to
eat as jerky and to make clothes. I also learned they had a name for each dance
they did and whatever name it had was true. I enjoyed bow and arrow the most. I
like it because you aim at stuff that looks real. [Editor’s note: we had a foam deer target yesterday, as well as some
square targets for the campers to aim at.]
Company D
Derek S.
I learned that the Indians have their own games. We went to Menard to learn weaving, and we
played a game of shinny. The Native
Americans used rocks to smash other rocks.
I enjoyed shooting the bow and arrows, playing shinny, and weaving.
Tyler H.
I learned a Seminole Indian dance that they did and stuff
that they made, some were toys. We
played shinny, learned to weave, and shot a bow and arrow. The Native Americans were interesting, I
learned how they hunt and how they lived on the buffalo and left only the
bones. Shinny was lots of fun.
Angel M.
I learned how to use a fish whistle to catch a fish, like
the Seminole Indians. I learned that
they had a big mound as their cooking place.
I liked archery because I like shooting targets, and because it’s just
fun.
Nick H.
I learned that some Indians lived in a tipi and that the
Seminole Indians used coffee and a dirty sock to catch fish. I enjoyed eating the most yesterday because
the food is so good.
Thomas R.
Yesterday I learned that most of the Indians resources
came from the buffalo, but not all of them.
They also played games like the
climbing bear, and did archery for battle and for hunting. I enjoyed swimming the most yesterday because
I have not swam in a while.
Aly C.
I learned that the bison was very important to the Native
Americans and that they made their own toothbrushes and toothpaste. I enjoyed decorating my bandolier bag the
most, because I got to draw things that are about me.
Madelon C.
Yesterday I learned that not all Indians live in
teepees. The buffalo was their primary
source of food, and that they never wore anything into battle so that they
wouldn’t catch an infection. I also
learned that the drumbeat is your heartbeat, and the buffalo is where they got
all of their needs. The activity that I
enjoyed the most was the bandolier bags because I got to personalize my own
bag.
Jillian A.
I learned that the Seminole Indians used the buffalo as
their main source for everything. I
thought that it was interesting that they danced more than one way. My favorite activity was weaving because I
loved making the design.
Elijah H.
Yesterday I learned that the male Native Americans used a
flute to call a female to made and that they had a lot of fun games to
play. It was interesting that they made
holes in the ground and get well-rounded rocks to mash-up nuts and other
things.
Andrea S.
I learned a dance, all kinds of old games, and the
Seminole Indians life. We heard songs
and comedy. We learned what the Seminole
Indians wore when they were cold. One
thing I found interesting was that some Native Americans today, compete in
competitions and that they make their own outfits. They have been working for years, since they
were little kids. I liked the Seminole
Indian the most because he was funny and gave the campers a lot of
history. He made everyone laugh and we
got to play with this games and toys too.
Erica W.
Mr. Fifer told us the turtle story and how the turtle was
a bully and his shell cracked when being struck by lightning, but he prayed to
the lord and he gave him a second chance.
We learned all kinds of dances from the Native Americans, like the grass
dance. I liked archery the best yesterday
because I have always had a passion for it.
Antonio S.
Yesterday I learned that Indians used the buffalo as a
grocery store. I also learned that eagle
feathers are special to Native Americans and have to be earned. Archery was my favorite activity because I
had to concentrate really hard and I liked shooting with the bow and arrows.
Shastia A.
Something that I learned yesterday was how to catch a
fish with only a smelly sock, coffee beans, and a whistle. I learned that Native Americans used
porcupine hair for their hats. The
activity I enjoyed the most was swimming because I was in a splash war.
Company B
Carmen G.
I learned about the Native American dances and how to
weave, play shinny, made bags, and did archery.
I liked learning about the Native American traditions. I loved all of this day, like, the swimming,
shinny, weaving, and archery.
Moses S.
Yesterday I learned that the Seminole Indians hunted and
ate a lot of different animals and lived in a tipi. My favorite part of the day was when we went
to the swimming pool.
Morgan W.
I learned the Native American snake dance, and learned
that tribes have different customs. I
liked swimming because it cooled me off.
James C.
I learned that the Native Americans beat the drum on the
beat of their heartbeat, and that they lived in tipi’s made of twigs and small
logs. The activity I enjoyed the most is
shinny because it was fun and I hit my shin.
Delling D.
Yesterday I learned how to play a game called shinny, it
was a game that the Native Americans played.
They also dance before battle (but I already knew that). I enjoyed swimming the most because I love to
swim.
Samantha A.
I learned that American Indians don’t live next to the
water because if it rains, the river can flood.
I also learned that their tooth paste is made out of ashes, water, and
mint. I enjoyed shinny and weaving the
most because I like arts and crafts and am competitive.
Conie F.
I learned that Native Americans made their tools using
the natural resources they had, and that they were different clothes for
different events. I enjoyed weaving the
most, because it is a way to make something neat.
Savannah S.
Yesterday I learned that Native Americans play games, one
you had to get the bear to the top, and that their homes were made out of wood
and leaves. Shinny was the most fun,
because we got to play with each other.
Ashley W.
I learned that Native Americans used mounds and rocks to
grind and cook their food, and that their toys are very basic but very fun to
play with. I enjoyed weaving the most
because I am really good at it.
Nicolas T.
I learned that Native Americans made holes and used rocks
to crush nuts to eat. I liked playing
shinny the most because I was good at defense.
Terence R.
Yesterday I learned that the Native Americans live in
different tribes and adapted to their environment by making tools, and that
they have a lot of different dance rituals.
I had the most fun playing shinny, because we won.
Holden A.
I learned that the Native Americans treated their drums
like spirits, and that they made holes in the ground to cook meant. I enjoyed shinny the most because it is like
soccer with sticks.
Jamie H.
Yesterday I learned that Native Americans would grind the
nuts, grains, berries, etc… and that they had a large mound that they would
build large fires in to cook. It was
interesting that they shot bows and arrows to gather food, and that our
heartbeat is the most popular Indian song.
Indians enjoyed shinny, weaving, and making their beaded bags. I loved everything about yesterday because
everything that we did was fun and I learned new things.
17 Comments:
At June 24, 2013 at 8:24 PM ,
Unknown said...
Aly C.
We saw you in a picture today! It looks like you're having fun. We love you and miss you tons.
At June 24, 2013 at 9:21 PM ,
Unknown said...
Hi Zach R,
Love your photo!! Sounds like the music was fun!!! We know how much you like music!!!So glad you got to swim too!
Mom and Dad
At June 24, 2013 at 9:23 PM ,
Carey said...
Savannah S
Day three of camp is over. Sounds like you had fun playing Shinny with your friends. Sleep tight and and I'll see you in a few short days!
We love you!!
Mom and Dad
At June 24, 2013 at 9:59 PM ,
Unknown said...
Nico,
Saw you in a picture today! Hope your having fun!
Love you,
MOM
At June 24, 2013 at 10:02 PM ,
Unknown said...
Hey Nico,
I've been making robots and stuff, Don't forget to be awesome lil bro,
Miss u :D
At June 24, 2013 at 10:19 PM ,
Unknown said...
Nico,
When you get home you can teach us to play shinny! Hope you are getting all our messages! We love you!
Your fam
At June 24, 2013 at 10:37 PM ,
Anonymous said...
HI CARMEN,
JUST READ YOUR BLOG SO GLAD TO HEAR ABOUT ALL YOU ARE DOING AND LEARNING NANNA TOLD ME SEE SHE SAW YOU YESTERDAY. THE KIDS WERE SO HAPPY TO SEE YOU TOO. CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR MORE. LOVE YOU
MOMMY, DADDY, NADIA & JOSEPH
At June 24, 2013 at 11:01 PM ,
Unknown said...
Hi Dellnig and David, I enjoyed reading your journal. It looks like you enjoyed swimming and playing games with new friends. I saw Delling with big smile in one of pictures. I wish I were there. Have fun tomorrow. Love, Mom.
At June 24, 2013 at 11:24 PM ,
Aldana Family said...
Xavier,
I got to see video of the Native American dancers, that was very interesting. Ive been seeing you in alot of pictures and it looks like your having a great time. That makes me smile!! Hope your sleeping and eating well.
Love you
Mom
At June 24, 2013 at 11:26 PM ,
Aldana Family said...
Joscelyn,
Hope you and your friends are enjoying yourselves. The game of shinny looks fun maybe you can show us how to play when you get home. That would be good excercise for me, LOL. Hope your sleeping and eating well too. Can't wait to hear more details.
Love you
Mom
At June 25, 2013 at 2:03 AM ,
Kristi Ann said...
Hi Alex!!
Man, I am missing you! But I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed archery. I know how much you were looking forward to that. I hope they took some pictures of that. Don't forget to take pictures with your cameras when you can! By the way, I hung out with Ranger today and he said he misses you. He can't wait for you and him to go get the mail together and then snuggle up. You take care and keep having fun. Remember, I'm with you in your heart :)
Love,
Mom
At June 25, 2013 at 7:18 AM ,
Suzanne said...
Angel,
Michael hopes you are having a good time and enjoying the pie he read about in others comments. It sounds like the activities are a lot of fun! We miss you!
Squam!
Mom, Dad, Michael, Eileen, & Mario
At June 25, 2013 at 8:03 AM ,
Unknown said...
Hola Nick H., Now you know what kind of bait to use when you go fishing with Pam and Phil! Your grandpa has been working on his boat for when you come to visit. Keep writing on the blog so I can read what you are doing. Lots of love from GA and GJ.
At June 25, 2013 at 8:24 AM ,
Mary M Garcia said...
Dear Simon:
I just read your blog from Monday. Yeah! I'm glad that you got to learn about Native Americans and even experience some of what life was like for them. I'd love to hear more about the bow that you used. Was it a recurve like ours? I bet you were happy to shoot the target. Did you get a lot of time to shoot? After such a fun day I can imagine that you're tired at night. How have you been sleeping? I just can't wait to see you and hear more about camp. At home we have been doing pretty much of the same things as usual. We went to the library on Sunday and played at the splash pad for a little while. Papa is going to Temple today to look at a motorcycle. We finished up the girls' room. Every one misses you. Kindle, Maizie, and Murlocks have been good. I have an exciting thing to tell you, too. We are going to go and see grandma and grandpa in August. We're going to take a bus again and we'll be there for 10 days. Everyone is looking forward to it. When you get home we can call Jaysen and Jaycob to see if they will be up for a visit. I love you. I miss you. Love,
Mama
At June 25, 2013 at 9:07 AM ,
Allegrazz said...
Dear Shastia,
I am glad to hear that you are having such an interesting time! Don't worry, I have plenty of smelly socks for you to fish with!
Today we were at Lake Baikal and even saw a seal! Tomorrow we are going to an island for a few days and won't have internet so I won't be able to write, but I will be excited to read more about your activities when I get back to WiFi. I love you and miss you! Have a great time!
Love, Mommy
At June 25, 2013 at 10:06 PM ,
Unknown said...
Morgan T,
I remember learning how to make tortillas. Its a lot of fun and a lot of work. I posted your blog update on Facebook and tagged Grandma Rosales. I know it will put a big smile on her face. Cant wait to see you.
Love,
Mom
At June 25, 2013 at 10:08 PM ,
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home