} } Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp: Camper Journals: Thursday, June 27, 2013

Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp

Texas youth are gathering for a week at Fort McKavett to learn about the rich cultural heritage of Texas. "Old Stories, New Voices" provides students the opportunity to experience Native American, Hispanic, African-American and Anglo contributions to the history and culture of Texas!

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Camper Journals: Thursday, June 27, 2013

Here are today's journal prompts:

1. Did you enjoy the campout at South Llano River State Park?

2. What did you learn from the Naturalist at the South Llano State Park?

3. Did you enjoy the canoe trip? Who was in your canoe?

Company D

Shastia A.
I kind of enjoyed the campout at the park, even though there was a scorpion in the bathroom, and it was really hot.  I learned that some types of bugs only go in specific types of polluted or not polluted water.  I enjoyed the cane trip.  My canoe had Jensen and Andrea in it.

Aly C.
I enjoyed the campout at the State Park.  I learned that there are flying turkey and lots of snakes from the Naturalist there.  I enjoyed the canoe trip.  Elijah and Savannah were in my canoe.

Andrea S.
I enjoyed the campout at the state park, it was fun and hot.  Me and my friend told each other a ghost story and got tired and fell asleep.  I learned that a porcupine can climb up a tree.  I did not know that.  One of my friends Shastia, and a counselor named Miss. Jensen.  She was really good.  I got the hang of it when it was my turn.

Madelon C.
I enjoyed the campout at the state park.  I learned that feral hogs are a major problem in Texas, causing millions of dollars in damage.  The Rio Grande turkey can fly and sleeps in trees.  Miss. Bailey and Erica were in my canoe. 

Erica W.
I enjoyed the day, at the state park, but when it was time to go to bed, it wasn’t that fun.  I learned that porcupines don’t shoot out, and the black spike has tiny scales. I loved the canoe trip.  I got to row in the front and rest in the middle some.  I had Miss Bailey and Madelon in my canoe with me.

Jillian A.
I liked the campout at the South Llano River State Park, but it was creepy at times.  I learned that porcupines can climb trees.  Mr. Ron and Derek were in my canoe.

Tyler H.
I got to learn wilderness and get the experience of camping at the state park.  I learned about polluted water, snakes, and other stuff. 

Derek S.
I liked being at the state park because we got to go canoeing. My canoe had Mr. Ron in it.  The state park has lots of pretty animal life.

Antonio S.
I liked camping in the tents and looking at the fish at the state park.  I learned about the different kinds of animals, like snakes, birds, and dear, and other descriptions in the forest.  I liked the canoe trip because Mr. Steve was in the canoe with me and we got to fish.

Angel M.
The campout was ok, but not very different than what I normally do.  The canoe trip was fun, I had Nick was me.

Elijah H.
I liked the campout at the state park, it was fun.  I learned that some animals have red colored teeth.  Savannah and Aly were in my boat.

Nick H.
I didn’t like the campout at the state park, because there were bugs and it was hot.  I learned that snakes that swim are usually poisonous.  The canoe trip was really fun and Angel was with me in my canoe.

Thomas R.
I was hot and sticky at the campout at the state park and it was hard to sleep.  I learned that there are different types of animals in the park and some are exotic.  I enjoyed the canoe trip because there were plenty of rapids and Tyler was in my boat.

Company C.
Daniel X.
I enjoyed the campout because I was with my friends.  I learned that you can tell if water is polluted by looking for bugs. Mr. Patrick and Xavier were in my canoe with me, and we had fun.

Xavier A.
I did not enjoy the campout a little bit because the bugs were making noise, but enjoyed the rest.  I learned that different bugs and snakes live there and at the river.  I liked the canoe trip very much.  Daniel and Mr. Patrick were in my boat.

Diego M.
I did not like the campout because I didn’t sleep well.  I learned that the park has lots of wildlife and some species are endangered.  I had Mr. Brandon and Gavin in my boat. 

Alexandra V.
I liked the campout.  It was very fun even though I got a bite in the middle of the night.  I learned that I should never pick up floating sticks in the water.  Jasmine and Collin were in my canoe.  It was fun, but I did feel sick at a few times.

Morgan T.
I enjoyed the campout at the South Llano River State Park.  I learned that you can tell if the water is polluted by the bugs in the water.  Simon was in my canoe with me.

Mikayla H.
I loved the canoe trip.  It helped us learn to work together and to not freak out if there is a spider in the boat.  I learned that you have to work together and to not be scared because your friends are right there to help you.  Morgan and Simon were in the canoe with me.

Samira S.
I enjoyed the campout but it was uncomfortable to sleep with all the rocks.  From the Naturalist at the South Llano River State Park I learned how to go on a canoe trip.  On my boat there was Miss Kendra and Shyane, then I traded boats and there was Mr. Brandon and Diego.

Cheyenne H.
I enjoyed the campout at the state park.  I learned that porcupines can climb trees.  I enjoyed the canoe trip.  Miss Kendra and Samita were in the canoe. 

Collyn S.
I had a lot of fun meeting new people at the State Park.  I learned about different types of birds and snakes.  The canoe trip was ok.  I had Alex and Jasmin in the canoe with me.

Jasmin S.
I really liked the canoe trip and the camping.  I learned about snakes, porcupines, beavers, and all kinds of deer.  I had Alex and Colton in the boat with me, but I had to switch and so then I had Collyn and Diego with me.

Simon G.
I really like the campout.  I was with my friends and we shared stories and played cards.  There are a lot of snakes and a lot of spiders there.  Morgan and Makalya were in my canoe.

Phillip N.
The campout was ok, but I did not like the way we slept.  I learned about animal bones.  I enjoyed the canoe trip because my dad was in it.

Gavin B.
The campout at the South Llano was good.  I learned to watch out for snakes.  I had Mr. Brandon in my boat. 

Company B
Holden A.
I enjoyed the campout because we got to sleep in tents.  We learned about an extinct bird and got to see a diamondback rattlesnake skin.  The people in my canoe were Connie and Jamie.  I had fun because we got to swim a little bit.

Nicolas T.
I enjoyed the campout at the state park.  I learned that lots of animals live there.  I enjoyed the canoe trip.  Terrence and Mrs. JoNeita were in my canoe.

Terence R.
I liked the campout.  It was very humid, but I can handle it.  I learned to always be on the lookout for harmful animals.  I enjoyed the canoe trip.  Nicholas and Mrs. JoNeita were with me.

Deling D.
I enjoyed the campout and had a lot of fun, but I didn’t have a great time sleeping.  I learned about the animals in the park and about the river.  We found leeches in the river.  I would have enjoyed the canoe trip if I wasn’t the one doing most of the work! (One of my campers can’t row).

Carmen G.
I enjoyed the campout, it was so much fun.  I learned about the endangered species, like birds.  I liked the sanoe trip, the people in my group were Morgan and Miss Camri.

Morgan W.
I enjoyed the campout very much.  I learned different bugs in the river.  Miss Camri and Carmin were in my boat.

Samantha A.
I mostly enjoyed the campout, but I did not like sleeping on the hard ground.  I learned that you can tell if the water is polluted by the types of bugs that are in the water.  I had Miss Arlene and Savannah in my boat.

Ashley W.
I enjoyed the campout at the South Llano River State Park.  I learned from the naturalist that some places of the park are polluted.  I also enjoyed the canoe trip.  James was in the boat with me.

Jamie H.
I loved the campout and canoeing, and sleeping at the South Llano State Park.  I learned the certain bugs that live in the water if it is polluted; its home to endangered species of birds, home to wild turkeys, and that porcupines sleep in trees. I had Connie and Holden in the canoe with me.

Savannah S.
I enjoyed the campout because I slept with my friends.  That way I had fun.  I learned that we need to work together to gather what will help us.  Samantha, Savannah, and Miss Arlene were in my boat.  I liked the canoe trip because we had to work as a team.

Connie F.
I liked the river because we got to see all kinds of plants, and that if there are leaches, the water is polluted.  I enjoyed the canoe trip.  I had Jamie and Holden in our canoe.

Company A
Ivory G.
I enjoyed the campout a lot, it was really fun.  We ate hot dogs, hamburgers, and got to hang out.  I learned that lots of wild animals go to South Llano River State Park that are dangerous.  I enjoyed the canoe trip a lot.  Miss Toni Rose feel out of the canoe…a lot. 

Gracie W.
I liked the campout because it was a breathtaking site.  I learned that there is exotic wild life in Texas.  The canoe trip was a new experience for me.  Mr. Cody and Clayton were in my canoe.

Joscelyn A.
The campout was a fun experience.  I had never gone camping before so it was pretty cool.  I learned about the different types of animals that live in South Llano River State Park and what to look out for on the canoe trip.  I loved the canoe trip.  It was a lot of hard work, but it was so amazing.  Mr. Lawrence and Jarell were in my canoe.

Christian V.
The campout was good, until it got dark.  It was so hot and I could not sleep.  I learned about snakes and animals that live in the park such as beevers.  The canoe trip was frustrating and hard.  I had Nurse Lisa and David in my canoe.

Tyshun S.
The campout was fun, but hot.  The food was great.  I learned from the Naturalist that the Indians used to wipe their butt with leaves.  I enjoyed the canoe trip and Gavin was with me.

Will C.
I enjoyed the campout because I got to get in the water and look at fish.  I learned that porcupines have scales on their spikes and when they get in you the scales open up and it is hard to get out.  I liked the canoe trip, but water was in the canoe.

JaRayl P.
I liked the campout at the state park, it was fun, and was a great experience.  I learned how some things pollute the water and learned that snakes are in there.   Mr. Lawrence and Jocelin were in my canoe.

Clayton J.
I liked the campout and I learned what animals lived there in the state park.  Mr. Cody and Gracie were in my canoe and I enjoyed the trip.

Gaven A.
I enjoyed the campout, but a raccoon kept annoying us at night, but I still slept.  I learned that there are leaches in some parts of the river and a lot of spiders.  I had Tishun and Mr. Will in my canoe and I enjoyed it.  I have not been in a canoe in a long time.

David D.
I liked the campout because the park was very clean, but it was also home to a lot of bugs.  We learned that this part was home to many animals such as beavers, snakes, and a lot of birds.  I liked the canoe trip because it had a very beautiful view of the lake.  Christian and Nurse Lisa were in my canoe.

Arrial E.
I liked the state park, it was cool.  I learned that there are a lot of animals there.  I liked that my friend was in the canoe with me.

Zachary R.
I was not impressed with the campout.  I did learn how to catch bugs and what kind of animals lived there.  I did not like the canoe trip, I lost my sunglasses.

Joseph C.
I didn’t like the campout because the ground was so hard and it was so hot.  We learned about a bunch of birds, some are endangered species.  I did not like the canoe trip, Zach was in my canoe.



7 Comments:

  • At June 27, 2013 at 7:14 PM , Blogger Carey said...

    Wow Savannah

    Sounds like you had a lot of fun yesterday! I'm so glad!! I didn't know porcupines slept in trees! How interesting. I hope you are excited to come home tomorrow! I know I am. Three o'clock can not come fast enough!!!

    I love and miss you sooo much!

    Night Baby!!!
    Mom

     
  • At June 27, 2013 at 7:27 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Lots of fun memories for you to have! Can't wait to see ya tomorrow! Te extrano mucho y te quiero con todo mi corazon!
    Hasta mañana,
    Tu mami

     
  • At June 27, 2013 at 8:20 PM , Blogger Aldana Family said...

    Xavier,
    Sorry you didn't sleep well at on the camping trip but I bet you learned alot about the wildlife. Can't wait to hear all about. You be in the comfort of your own bed soon.
    See you tomorrow
    Love Mom

     
  • At June 27, 2013 at 8:25 PM , Blogger Aldana Family said...

    Joscelyn,
    Well I hope you slept better than your brother did. I hope you bring your journal home for me to read so I can hear all the details of your week long adventures. Only a few more hours and you'll be in the comfort of your own bed. I hope you get contact information of all your new friends you want to keep in contact with.
    See you soon
    Love MOM

     
  • At June 27, 2013 at 9:54 PM , Blogger Mary M Garcia said...

    Dear Simon:

    Yippee!!!! We get to see you tomorrow. I can't wait to pick you up and see your smiling face. I'm glad that you've had so much fun. Be safe on the van ride home tomorrow. LOVE YOU!!!!

    Love,
    Mama

     
  • At June 27, 2013 at 10:09 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Dear Clayton,

    We can't wait to see you tomorrow. Don't forget to get your friends email addresses and phone numbers so you can keep in touch. I told Hazel you said hi and she just said pppppuuuuurrrrrr.

    Love and miss you!
    Mom

     
  • At June 28, 2013 at 8:25 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Dear Delling and David, I am glad you all had fun at campout. I am also proud of you being brave and overcoming difficulties.Keep your friend's contacts and all the good memories. Daniel's dad will pick both of you this afternoon. Welcome home and look forward to hearing all your adventure. Love, mom.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home