} } Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp: Camper Journals: Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp

Texas youth are gathering for a week at Fort McKavett to learn about the rich cultural heritage of Texas. "Old Stories, New Voices" provides students the opportunity to experience Native American, Hispanic, African-American and Anglo contributions to the history and culture of Texas!

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Camper Journals: Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Here are today’s writing prompts:

1. Yesterday you made a retablo. What does your retablo look like.

2. Did you enjoy making tortillas? Why or why not?

3. What did you see at the Menardville Museum?

Company A

Gaven A.
My retablo looks like the Texas flag. I enjoyed making tortillas because I learned something new. At the museum, I saw a bar, type writer and some arrow heads and pictures of people from WWII.

Will C.
My retablo looks like a baseball on fire. I enjoyed making tortillas because I did not know how to make them but now I do. At the museum, I saw old pictures and helmets and all sorts of cool things.

Gracie W.
My retablo has a cross with a heart in the middle and is on a hill. It has clouds and dots on it and it says “Love.” I enjoyed making tortillas because it was fun to learn how to make them. At the museum, I saw an old clothes washer, and an old movie projector.

Tyshun S.
My retablo has a Miami Heat sign. I enjoyed making tortillas because we got to eat them and they were awesome. At the museum I saw an old cash register and an old type writer and an old saloon.

Christian V.
My retablo depends on how you look at the picture. You can look at this picture and it can either be a lost flame in darkness or a rising light … hope. Yes, I LOVED making tortillas because it is fun to make and delicious. At the museum, I saw a bar.

Ivory G.
My retablo has a big smiley face on it. It’s yellow and black. It said “smile now, cry later” and it was colorful. It also had black smiley faces all over and the background was red. I enjoyed making tortillas because we made tortillas at home and I wasn’t very good at it and now I’m good at it. At the museum, I saw pictures of the soldiers that died and how this guy made toys, shoes, and wine. We also saw some dolls that the little girls used to play with.

David D.
My retablo looks like a custom Thompson. I enjoyed making tortillas because I made a tortilla that was shaped like Texas. It was yummy! At the museum, I learned some history about Menard. It was really cool. They had a military uniform for us on display.

Clayton J.
My retablo has a Texas flag on it. I enjoyed making tortillas, they were delicious. At the museum I saw old stuff, like washing machines and butter makers.

Zachary R.
My retablo has a blue background with a yellow flash of lighting with a black outline right in the middle. I enjoyed making tortillas because they were delicious. At the museum, I saw old relics, like butter churners and old people things like calculators that only add and multiply.

Arrial E.
My retablo has a cross with flowers, it looks cool. I enjoyed making tortillas because I like to make things. At the museum I saw train tracks and [an old saloon] where a bullet hit the mirror.

Joseph C.
My retablo had the sky , a rhino, a tree, the grass, the sun, and a pool. I enjoyed making tortillas because it was fun flattening the dough, rolling the dough, and flipping the dough. At the museum, I saw a type writer and a bunch of cards, a stroller, and pictures of past people.

Joscelyn A.
My retablo had a softball and my softball number, 22. Of course I enjoyed making tortillas! I’ve never made tortillas before so it was a fun, new thing to do. At the museum, I saw many different antiques at the museum. I saw an old cash register, and old fashioned bar, and old fashioned train station, and old wedding dresses that people would wear.

JaRayl P.
My retablo has a cross for church. I enjoyed making retablos because they are very delicious. At the museum, I saw the old things that they made back then.

Company B

Morgan W.
My retablo had my dog on it. Tortillas were fun because they were good. At the museum, I saw a mirror that was shot with a bullet.

Carmen G.
My retablo had Fort McKavett State Historic Site on the front and a flag with the mess tent and a canteen with my hat. I enjoyed making tortillas because it’s calm, enjoyable and I just like it. At the museum, I saw Princess Wyhog, army soldiers’ suits and hats from World War II.

Connie F.
 My retablo has a brown background and it has family written in blue. I enjoyed making the tortillas because you can roll the bread and you put it on a warmer. At the museum I saw the saloon and I saw my great grandpa’s stuff.

Delling D.
My retablo is something that is important to me and I think I probably messed it up. Yes, I did enjoy the tortillas and the best was the flour tortilla. I was also really worried if I messed it up. At the museum I saw a lot of old rusty tools and many old machines. There were also many old pictures.

Nicolas T.
My retablo is the Fort McKavett eagle. I enjoyed making tortillas because we could roll the dough and then you could eat the tortilla. At the museum, I learned lots of people from Menard county went to fight in World War II.
Samantha A.
My retablo has a cross and hearts on it. I enjoyed making tortillas because we put cinnamon and sugar on it and it was good. At the museum I saw an old stroller and it was big.

Jamie H.
My retablo is green with writing in blue. I loved making my tortilla because I loved to roll out the dough to make it as big as my face. And flip the tortilla as it got baked. At the museum, I saw the dead man’s hand, many chairs, type writers, a man’s workshop and a blacksmith shop.

Savannah S.
I painted a cross on my retablo. I enjoyed making tortillas because I like to make tortillas. At the museum, I saw a cash register, cards on a table in a saloon and a ticket to the train stop on the wall.

Ashley W.
My retablo has  a cross and I put on it “The only key is Jesus.” I enjoyed making tortillas because everybody was so nice and helpful. At the museum, I saw a lot of old stuff. My favorite was a butter churner. It looked sooo cool!

James C.
My retablo looked like trains. I did enjoy making tortillas because they were awesome. At the museum I saw a table in a saloon where someone got shot.

Moses S.
My retablo looks like a football field. I enjoyed making tortillas because I got to do what other people do a lot. At the museum I saw an old saloon that a guy got killed in.

Holden A.
My retablo has the A&M symbol and 12th man on the 4 corners. I enjoyed making tortillas because they were good. At the museum I saw old World War II army hats.

Terrence R.
On my retablo I wrote “Mi casa es tu casa.” I enjoyed making tortillas because now I can make them at home. At the museum I saw an old phone, a mannequin and a saloon.

Company C

Diego M.
My retablo was geometric symbols and people from the books I am reading.  I love to make tortillas because it is good food.  At the Menardville museum we saw some old stuff, which was pretty cool.

Cheyenne H.
My retablo has a cross right in the center and mountains in the back. I enjoyed making tortillas because we got to eat them all.  At the Menardville museum we saw a lot of old pictures.

Collyn S.
I painted a retable that has a cross that is black and yellow with grass and a sky. I liked making tortillas because I like learning another heritage.  At the Menardville museum I saw things about trains and got to see what an old salon looked like.

Simon G.
Yesterday, I painted a retablo that looks like a phoenix, flying in the air.  I liked making tortillas because I got to make one of corn and got to eat. At the Menardville museum I saw a real cannonball and wore uniforms and I got to lift it up.

Mikayla H.
I painted a retablo with Jesus coming out of the clouds. I enjoyed making tortillas because it is something to do spend time with you mom. At the Menardville museum we learned about the traines that came through and that 15 miles from there was silver in the river.

Morgan T.
My retablo looks like a big cross in the middle of a green field with a white cloud cover.  I enjoyed making tortillas because it reminds me of my grandma.  I  saw some of typewriters and the first windmill ever made at the Menardville museum.   

Samira S.
My retablo had a cross on it.  The sky was blue and it had green grass. It represented my love for Jesus.  I enjoy making tortillas because it was really fun and now I can make them at my own home.  At the Menardville Museum, I saw some wedding dresses that the women used to wear.  I also saw typewriters.  They were really cool.

Philip N.
I made a retable with a Pokémon.  I want to make tortillas again, because I liked it.

Alexandra V.
My retablo says “Ranger my dog” with blocks of colors.  My tortillas were very tasty with cinnamon and butter.  There were so many things that are interesting at the Menardville museum that I could not count them all.

Gavin B.
My retablo has the Earth on it and it says “I love the world”.  I would totally make tortillas again, they were really good.  I saw so much stuff at the Menardville museum, and I can’t say that it was all very interesting.

Daniel X.
My retablo has crosses on it.  I enjoyed making tortillas because they were good to eat.  At the Menardville museum we saw all sorts of old time machines.

Jasmin S.
I made a retablo in a rectangular shape with a brown background with different color letters and words, and says “I love you Wyatt, Welcome home.” I like to make wheat tortillas at home with my mom.  I don’t like corn tortillas unless they are made into homemade chips.  At the Menardville museum I saw wedding dresses, pictures of soldier from World War II, baby stuff and dolls, pictures of old trains, old telephones, and old salon, and lots of timey stuff.

Company D
Nick H.
My retablo has a Greek helmet with the words “the Persian War” under it. I liked making tortillas because we got to eat them.  At the Menardville museum we saw the man who made the first windmills, and I also saw a lot of other things with a lot of history in them.

Derek S.
My retablo has polka dots all over it.  I had fun making tortillas because it was special and fun.  I saw old cannon balls and World War II uniforms at the Menardville museum. 

Angel M.
My retablo shows three things that mean something to me, religion, peace, and health.  I enjoyed making tortillas because I have never done it before.  At the museum we saw an old house where a man made everything in there. 

Madelon C.
My retablo has a purple cross and a dark blue sky.  It is important to me to have God in my life.  I enjoyed making tortillas because now I can make them with my friends and eat them afterword.  I saw an old wedding dress and outing dresses at the Menardville museum.  We went into the saloon and saw the remains of a gun fight.

Antonio S.
I painted a retablo with a Jesus hanging on the cross. It has a lot of bright and dark colors.  I liked to make tortillas.  I like to taste them, and I ate 3 of them.  At the Menardville museum I was a workshop, some old clothing, and some helmets from World War II.

Shastia A.
My retablo has a chicken with chicks on it.  I enjoyed making tortillas because they were tasty and the people who helped us make them were really funny.  At the Menardville museum, I saw an old cash register, a bar, a handmade tricycle and some other old stuff.

Aly C.
My retablo has a hill with a cross on top, more hills, the sea, and a setting sun. I did enjoy making tortillas.  I liked rolling and cooking, and eating them.  I saw an old calculator, butter maker, wedding dresses, and homemade shoes at the Menardville museum.

Jillian A.
My retablo has a cross that says “bless this day”.  I loved making tortillas because we got to eat them.  We saw artifacts at the Menardville museum.

Thomas R.
I painted a retablo and it looks like an ocean and a cross.  I liked making tortillas because I learned something new and it was tasty.  At the Menardville museum I saw an old railroad, pictures, and a shack, as well as a saloon replica.

Elijah H.
My retablo looks like 3 colored lines with smiley faces with polka dots and the color purple.  I liked making tortillas because we got to eat them.  We saw some old typewriters, old wedding dresses, and a saloon at the Menardville museum.

Tyler H.
I painted a retablo with a cross with blue, black, and red on it.  I liked making tortillas because it was a fun experience to me.  At the Menardville museum I saw an old clock, and a saloon.

Andrea S.
My retablo has a cross on it, flowers on the bottom, and a sky.  I wrote the words “Bless this day” on the top.  I made corn and flower tortillas.  The flour was the best ever, the people were really nice and caring, and at some points funny.  At the Menardville museum we saw a dress, typewriters, cash registers, and some other old things.













20 Comments:

  • At June 25, 2013 at 1:55 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Nico,
    I am proud of you for being a brave camper. I miss you but I want you to have great experience and enjoy yourself, and make some new friends.
    Love Dad

     
  • At June 25, 2013 at 2:04 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Hi Nico,
    I was crying last night and I was sad I missed you ;(
    Love,Maya :)

     
  • At June 25, 2013 at 2:11 PM , Blogger Ccoyle said...

    Hi Gaven,
    So happy to view the recent photos! What an awesome opportunity for you to experience this part of Texas history!
    Super idea painting the Texas Flag on the retablos.
    Enjoy making more adventures and stay hydrated the heat is cranking.....just imagine the buffalo soldiers enduring the heat in their uniforms.
    Have fun at the pool!!
    Much Love,
    ~ Mom, Dad & tailwagging C

     
  • At June 25, 2013 at 2:23 PM , Blogger Ccoyle said...

    Hi Holden,
    Yay!!!! Enjoyed seeing you in some of the pics from
    Hispanic Day!! I bet it was fun listening and watching the mariachi's perform!!

    Looking forward to enjoying some of your prepared tortillas!!! ;-D What a wonderful and memorable opportunity for you to learn this part of Texas history! Remember to keep hydrated as the temperatures are on the rise! Great day to enjoy some time at the pool!

    We are so very proud of you....Nanny & PawPaw have been inquiring of your camp experience! PawPaw will love your idea for the retablos....Gig'em!!
    Much love,
    Mom, Dad & peach-eating Ccoyle : o

     
  • At June 25, 2013 at 2:46 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Hi Nick H, I have been reading your blogs. You can make tortillas with your dad now. If you need help, I will teach you. Glad you are having so much fun and eating stuff you like. Let me know if you have gotten my comments. Lots of love from Grandma Ana.

     
  • At June 25, 2013 at 2:57 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Hi Samantha & Jillian A.,

    Wow, it is in the 100's over here in the Austin area, I bet it is just as hot over there! Hope you are guzzling down the water just like a camel.

    I cannot wait to see your retables, do you get to take them home with you? They sound beautiful.

    Last night I think Tyler was digging in the garden & stepped into some fire ants. He was running around the yard like a crazy dog, probably trying to shake them off of him. When he finally came into the house he had a few on his paw. Don't worry we got them all out of his hair & he is fine. Next time, when he's running around in circles, we'll know to make sure there are no ants crawling on him.

    Hope the pool is nice & relaxing today!

    Love & miss you VERY much!

    God Bless, Mom, Dad & Tyler

     
  • At June 25, 2013 at 3:45 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Dear Daniel,
    I am so proud of you being such a brave camper. Wow Collyn, Diego and Xavier. You all must have a lot of fun together. Wish you make lots of great memories with your new friends.

    It was wonderful idea to paint your favorit crosses on the retablos. Enjoy the more adventures each day with your friends. Have fun at the pool!

    Let us know if you could see our comments.

    Lots of hugs and kisses,
    Mom, Dad & Jason

     
  • At June 25, 2013 at 4:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Moses

    It sounds like you are having fun. So glad you learned to make totillas maybe u can teach me!!! Haha... I miss you but I am happy to hear that you are having fun. Friday will be here soon. I really do enjoy seeing pictures of you on this website and I like reading your posts! So keep writing so that I can keep writing you back. I love you bunches!!!!

    Mom

     
  • At June 25, 2013 at 5:19 PM , Blogger Kristi Ann said...

    Dear Alex,
    There is so much I want to say to you! Love you!! I can't wait to see your retablo. I'll bet it is beautiful. Ranger will be honored. Are you getting all the notes I send? I hope so. Try to tell me more in your journal entries. I want to know everything!! We are getting your journal entries and your postcards. I check for them online about a million times a day :) it's just because I miss you so much. Anyway, I hope you are having a WONDERFUL time. Keep building friendships and having adventures. I love you bunches and miss you tons!!
    Love,
    Mom

     
  • At June 25, 2013 at 7:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey Thomas,
    Glad you made tortillas. Now you can make some when you get home! :) Have fun tomorrow at the river!
    Love ya,
    Mama

     
  • At June 25, 2013 at 7:32 PM , Blogger Kristi Ann said...

    Alex!! I just saw that there would not be any postcards/journal entries tomorrow because you will be camping FOR REAL!! I hope you like your sleeping bag and enjoy sleeping in the tents. Be sure you are careful canoeing. Drink LOTS of water and wear sunscreen. You are going to have SO MUCH FUN :) just remember, I am thinking of you...
    Love you bunches and miss you tons!!
    Mom

     
  • At June 25, 2013 at 9:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    HEY CARMEN,
    WOW! SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAD A BUSY DAY. I AM SO READY TO SEE YOU LOVED THE PICTURE OF YOU MAKING TORTILLA'S HOPE THEY WERE GOOD
    LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU BUNCHES.
    MOMMY,DADDY, NADIA & JOSEPH

     
  • At June 25, 2013 at 10:15 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Dear Delling Deng,wow you learned how to make tortillas. I guess it tastes as good as fried rice you cook. Tomorrow is another big day for you. Experience it and enjoy it. Do not be afraid of making mistakes or mess things up. The importance is doing it.You look really grown up in the pictures. Do not forget wearing sun screen tomorrow. Love, mom.

     
  • At June 25, 2013 at 10:20 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Dear David/someone, When I read your postcards, as if you were vividly talking in front of me. I could not wait to have you show me how to make Texas shape tortillas. Keep being creative and enjoying the camp. I am looking forward to hearing from you after your canoe day. Do not forget wearing sun screen. Love, mom.

     
  • At June 25, 2013 at 11:21 PM , Blogger Aldana Family said...

    Joscelyn, I can't wait to see your retablo. Coach Brian will be so proud you made it about your softball number. I cant wait to hear all about it and what it means. The museum sounds like it would be something I would have enjoyed seeing. I hope you are taking all the memories in. Have a great time on your canoe trip and write all about it.
    Love you
    Mom, Dad, Matt and Bolt

     
  • At June 25, 2013 at 11:27 PM , Blogger Aldana Family said...

    Xavier, I missed your Journal for today but I guess since you didn't write to us. I'll write to you. Things are going well, Matt is playing more with Leggos than the computer. He's doing a great job at his summer camp, and has started a self help check list. Today he got dressed and brushed his teeth all by himself. Bolt is still the same sleeping and eating. No change their. Dads still busy with school and I am still cleaning. But tomorrow, is me and Dads wedding anniversary so we are going to a fancy restaurant. Be sure to write about your canoe day, and don't forget everyone looks for to reading your posts so WRITE ALOT!!!
    Love you Bunches
    MOM DAD MATT and Bolt

     
  • At June 26, 2013 at 2:20 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Simon G,
    That ratablo sounds really neat. You'll have to teach us about tortilla making. Maybe we make a fun thing to share with the fam. I think you are paddling tomorrow and that we won't hear from you until you return to Internet access. I hope you remember your J and C strokes! Have fun and be safe.

    My love for you is great.
    Papa

     
  • At June 26, 2013 at 2:48 AM , Blogger Mary M Garcia said...

    Hi Simon:

    It's late right now so I'm going to just write you a short note to let you know that I love and miss you. I'm so happy that you're having a good time. I saw the picture of you making tortillas. How yummy! Love, Mama

     
  • At June 26, 2013 at 3:55 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Dear Clayton,

    Camp sounds so fun! Thank you for sharing your adventures with dad and I. I can't wait to see what you wove. I saw a picture of you doing it. Very neat!

    It's boring and hot here at home. Oh, Hazel is back to her old, normal self but wanted me to tell you "meow."

    Drink lots of water. Wear a hat and plenty of sunscreen so you don't look like a tomato :)o

    Love, love, love you- to the moon and back!!!

    Mom

     
  • At June 27, 2013 at 4:33 PM , Blogger G-PA Masoni said...

    Hi Savannah S: i'm so glad you are having fun at camp. Looks like the canoe trip was a blast. Wow 19th century baseball -- thats awesome. Glad you like the Buffalo Soldiers. They were a big part of our U.S. history. I'm so glad you will be home on Friday. I did a journal while you were gone. I hope you like it. love Grampa Masoni

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home