} } Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp: Postcards from Camp: Monday, June 24, 2013

Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp

Texas youth are gathering for a week at Fort McKavett to learn about the rich cultural heritage of Texas. "Old Stories, New Voices" provides students the opportunity to experience Native American, Hispanic, African-American and Anglo contributions to the history and culture of Texas!

Monday, June 24, 2013

Postcards from Camp: Monday, June 24, 2013

Company A

Dear Mom and Dad,
I learned how to play shinny and I did archery. Company A is awesome all stars.
Signed,
Will C.

Dear Mom and Dad,
I learned a lot of stuff here. We did archery and shinny. I miss you and we only have four more days left. See you on Friday.
Love,
JaRayl P.

Dear Mom,
I learned shinnying. It is like hocky, but it is outside and you use sticks and a ball.
Signed,
Gracie W.

Dear Mom and Dad,
I miss you so much and I can’t wait to come home. I love you always.
Love,
Clayton J.

Dear Dad, Mom and Brother,
I miss y’all and love y’all. So far it has been fun. Me and Jasmin sleep by each other. Love y’all.
Signed,
Arrial E.

Dear Family and Friends,
Yesterday I learned how to dance like Native Americans and I learned that it takes a long time to make their clothes.
Signed,
Ivory G.

Dear Dad,
Climbing bear is something Indians used with two strings and a wooden bear connected. Then you pull the string like you’re milking a cow. Love you.
Signed,
Gaven A.

Dear Mom,
I learned how good Native Americans are at dancing and that they were good at shinny.
Signed,
Tyshun S.

Dear Mom,
Yesterday, I had fun learning archery, weaving and a Native American game “shinny.” I had fun and hope there is more!
Signed,
Christian V.

Dear Someone,
Today we learned how to catch a fish. You first get a sock and coffee groups and lure it to land. Then move it up and snatch the fish.
Signed,
David D.

Dear Mom,
I learned archery and I hit a target three times!
Signed,
Joseph

Dear Family/Friends,
I learned a skill that the Native Americans used called weaving. It was fun and I got a lot of it done.
Signed,
Joscelyn A.

Dear Dad,
Yesterday, I learned how to play a game called shinny. We also did archery, but as usual, I stunk at at. We decorated bags, but I wasn’t feeling artistic.
Signed,
Zachary R.


Company C

Dear Mom,
The powwow Indians did a dance, it was cool. The man taking pictures got them playing the drums and they had costumes. That they made by themselves. They said that they made them themselves. And today I found out that Caleb had a twin sister!
Signed,
Mikayla H.

Dear Mom and Dad,
Yesterday we learned Native American skills. We learned an easy fishing trick. First you make a whistle out of a stick. Then fill a dirty sock with coffee beans. Blow the whistle and the fish will be attracted to the sock and then you can catch them.
Signed,
Xavier A.

Dear Dad,
Yesterday we learned about the Native Americans. They use a bow and arrows for hunting. I got a chance to do it.
Signed,
Samira S.

Dear Dad,
So far, day three was fast. I have seen some positive things in this “camp.” Yesterday we went swimming, did archery and weaving and such. Hopefully “camp” will go by fast.
Signed,
Diego M.

Dear Mom,
Yesterday I went to Menard and went swimming. I aced the swimming test. Right now I’m going to a Mexican fort.
Signed,
Phillip N.

Dear Dad and Mom,
Yesterday we did archery, swimming and weaving and a guy was playing jokes. Plus he was teaching.
Signed,
Simon G.

Dear Family,
I learned a lot of stuff about Native Americans. Don’t forget to send me an email. We went to Menard and swam, did archery, weaving, made bags and played shinny. And we also learned some dances. Love y’all soo much.
Signed,
Jasmin S.

Dear Mandy,
I got to see really cool things like the first kind of baseball and all the balls leading up to today. I also got to play with really old Indian toys that the kids played with.
Signed,
Morgan T.

Dear Mom,
I learned how to call a battle cry and learned to dance like the Indians.
Signed,
Collyn S.

Dear Family,
Today I learned about Native Americans and their cultures. It was interesteding. I took a shower and went to bed, then slept better.
Signed,
Daniel X.

Dear Dad,
I am having fun at camp. I wish that you could be here. See you soon, Dad.
Signed,
Cheyenne H.

Dear Mama,
I love you and I’m having a great time and I miss you.
Signed,
Gavin B.

Dear Dad,
Yesterday I learned how your bags were needed in war to carry things. Then at the end there was a powwow and some presenters danced for us.
Signed,
Alexandra V.

Company B

Dear Mommy and Daddy,
I learned how to shoot archery; learned to weave and learned how to play shinny.  PS.Thank God I didn’t get hit in the shin.  I love and miss you.
Signed,
Jamie H.

Dear Mom, Dad, & Ccoyle,
I learned how to play shinny yesterday.  It’s like soccer but with sticks and the goals are smaller.
Signed,
Holden A.

Dear Dad,
Yesterday we learned archery, which was used to hunt and kill.
Signed,
Terence R.

Dear Mom,
We learned lots about the Native Americans.  We played shinny, and learned how the Native Americans lived.
Signed,
Nicholas T.

Dear Bailey,
Yesterday I learned how to properly shoot a bow and arrow.  It was so much fun learning how to do one of my favorite sports: Archery.
Signed,
Ashley W.

Dear Mom and Dad,
I got to dance with the Native Americans.
Signed,
Savannah S.

Dear Mom,
We learned that the Native Americans have different clothes to wear, and special outfits for special occasions.
Signed,
Conie F.

Dear Mom, Dad, and Tyler,
I learned how to play shinny, a competitive Native American game.  Also, I learned how to weave.  I miss you.
Signed,
Samantha A.

Dear Mom,
I played a game called shinny and it was fun, but I got hit in the shin….A lot!
Signed,
Delling D.

Dear Mom,
I learned how to grind nuts and meat in a hole.
Signed,
James

Dear Family,
I learned how to make a knot in a rope without taking my hands off of the rope.
Signed,
Morgan W.

Dear Family,
I learned how to do archery like the Native American people did.
Signed,
Moses S.

Dear Mom and Dad,
I learned the friendship dance and the snake dance.
Signed,
Carmen G.

Company D
Dear Mommy,
On Monday, we learned about Native Americans, and we got taught how to catch a fish with a smelly sock, coffee beans, and a whistle.  Every night we have 5 or less minutes for a shower.  I miss you!
Signed,
Shastia A.

Dear Dad,
Yesterday I learned how to weave and play shinny.  Shinny is an old game combining golf & soccer.  I miss you and how you are having a great time.
Signed,
Antonio S.

Dear Dad,
Yesterday we learned the skills of living off the land by hunting, fishing, and building tipi’s out of sticks and tree branches.
Signed,
Erica W.

Dear Mom and Dad,
Yesterday we learned skills that they Native Americans used.  Everything from the buffalo clothes, jerky, food, and more.
Signed,
Andrea S.

Dear Mom,
I learned how to hunt and shoot a bow, but I’m not that good at it…for now.
Signed,
Elijah H.

Dear Mom, Dad, and Tyler,
I learned how to weave different designs and colors together.  I miss you already. 
P.S. A cactus thorn went in my foot on the archeology walk.
Signed,
Jillian A.

Dear Mom,
Today I made a bandolier bag.  It has my name and all of my special things I do.  Miss you and hope to see you soon.
Signed,
Madelon C.

Dear Mom,
I learned how Native Americans got food and what they ate.
Signed,
Aly C.

Dear Mom,
On Indian day we did archery, swimming, shinny, weaving, and bandolier bags.  See you soon.
Signed,
Thomas R.

Dear Mom and Dad,
Yesterday I learned about Native Americans.  We saw a guy who knew all the cool things about Native Americans.  Dad, he taught us a fishing trick that I will tell you about when I get back.
Signed,
Nick H.

Dear Mom and Dad,
We learned about how Indians used holes and rocks to grind up food.
Signed,
Angel M.

Dear Mom,
Yesterday, we learned how to play shinny.
Signed,
Tyler H.

Dear Mom and Dad,
Yesterday was Native American day, so we saw a Native American camp ground and learned the fun games.
Love,
DerekHjhjj




12 Comments:

  • At June 24, 2013 at 5:37 PM , Blogger evac218 said...

    Hi Joseph! Wow; that's awesome! What else are you doing? You are a great writer - give me more details because we miss you so much we want to hear more from you. Your little sister misses you too! We love you! - Mom and Angelina!

     
  • At June 24, 2013 at 5:38 PM , Blogger Kristi Ann said...

    Hi Alex! I hope you are having a great time. Remember to write it all down in your journal so you can tell me all about it when I see you. And don't forget to read my notes each morning. I hope you like them. I saw you in some pictures and it looked like you we're having fun. Say hi to Savannah and Erica for me too. Love you, baby, and miss you so much!
    Love,
    Mom

     
  • At June 24, 2013 at 5:50 PM , Blogger Aldana Family said...

    Dear Joscelyn,
    I hope you get to bring the weaving home. I would love to see what you made. Glad to hear your learning new skills.

    Love you
    Mom, Dad, Matt and Bolt

     
  • At June 24, 2013 at 5:53 PM , Blogger Aldana Family said...

    Dear Xavier,
    That new fishing trick sounds really cool. Make sure your write it down so you can show PoPo, I bet he would love to learn that trick. I hope your enjoying yourself and remembering everything so you can tell us more when you get home.
    Love you
    Mom, Dad, Matt and Bolt.

     
  • At June 24, 2013 at 6:49 PM , Blogger Ccoyle said...

    Hey Gaven,
    Sounds fun...we can't wait to hear more about what
    you are learning!! Love seeing the camp pics....the American flag is "ginormous"!!
    We are very proud of you!!
    Love you,
    Mom, Dad & Ccoyle Mae

     
  • At June 24, 2013 at 6:54 PM , Blogger Ccoyle said...

    Hey Holden,
    What has been your favorite part of camp so far?
    We really enjoyed viewing the camp pics from yesterday!
    Love you,
    Mom, Dad & Miss C1. ;-D

     
  • At June 24, 2013 at 6:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey Thomas,
    Hope you're having fun. Missed your postcard today...I guess Company D was tired. :) Looking forward to seeing some pics of your company. Love ya,
    Mama

     
  • At June 24, 2013 at 6:55 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Hi Zachary..I am sure you did great!!! You sound a little sad...try to have fun!!! Love you!
    Love Mom Dad Ally Elle

     
  • At June 24, 2013 at 7:03 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Hi Samira,

    We are glad you are having a good time! Let us know what other activities you do and keep having fun.

    Love,
    Your Family

     
  • At June 24, 2013 at 8:51 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Dear Elijah,

    I'm glad you got to shoot one, but like I've always told you, you can get good at anything as long as you practice. I love you so so much! I can't wait to see you!

    Love always,
    Mom

     
  • At June 24, 2013 at 10:35 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Hi Nico T,

    Don't know if your getting my messages so I'm pretty much posting everywhere! I miss you, looks like your learning a lot! See ya soon! Love you tons my monkey!
    Mom

     
  • At June 25, 2013 at 6:14 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Dear Clayton,
    We love and miss you too. We can't wait to hear about all the cool stuff you are doing.

    Love,
    Mom, Dad, Penny & Hazel

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home