Postcards from Camp: Saturday June 22, 2013
Today, campers were asked to write a brief letter to home, telling someone what they did today. Check out their responses below!
Editor's note: sometimes we correct grammar and spelling, add or delete punctuation or help students with sentence structure so as to make posts easier to read. We try to stay true to the intentions of your campers, and don't edit too much!
Dear Mom,
Dear Mom and Dad,
Dear Candice,
Editor's note: sometimes we correct grammar and spelling, add or delete punctuation or help students with sentence structure so as to make posts easier to read. We try to stay true to the intentions of your campers, and don't edit too much!
Postcards from Camp: 6/22/13
Company A
Dear Family and Friends,
Today I arrived at camp with already three friends. They
are Savannah, Erica, and Alex. I set up “camp” at my cot at the barracks and
went on with the schedule.
Signed,
Joscelyn A.
Dear Dad,
Today I met Angel a little bit before we left. During the
trip, Angel and I talked about various things, and went to sleep for a bit. I
only saw nature on the trip.
Signed,
Zachary R.
Dear Mom,
Today I met some kids, their names are nick and David.
Signed,
Joseph C.
Dear Mom and Anthony,
Today I saw two deer and their footprints. I met some
people that are my friends now. I’m doing fine and having fun lots! I love you!
Signed,
Ivory G.
Dear Mom and Grandma,
Today I took a long trip to Fort McKavett and it is
awesome. On the way here we stopped and ate Subway. Also the food is great and
the teachers are too.
Signed,
Tyshun S.
Dear Mom,
Today I saw the “springs” which is a small body of water
and I met a new friend named Gavin. I am loving what I am seeing and expecting more.
Signed,
Christian V.
Dear Mom,
Today I learned that to get water, the soldiers had to
walk a while. Also I met my amazing counselors.
Signed,
Gracie W.
Dear Mom,
Today I went to the springs and went on a nature trail
and got all of my bags and stuff set up. Love you.
Signed,
Gaven A.
Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I went to the springs and ate dinner. I met some
new friends, Will, Tyler and Collin.
Signed,
Clayton J.
Dear Family,
Today I travelled to Fort McKavett. It took one hour and
I sat next to Collin and Tyler.
Signed,
Will C.
Dear Mom,
Today I rode on a very, very long trip to camp. The camp
had some ruins from the real fort! We also had a tour around camp. The counselors
were very nice.
Signed,
David D.
Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I got homesick and I want to go home. We went on a
hike and we saw deer. I love and miss you all!!
Love,
JaRayl P.
Dear Mom,
Today I had fun I met a lot of people. It is fun. Me and
Tasmin are not in the same group.
Signed,
Arrial E.
Company B
Dear Mom,
Today I had a very happy day! I already have new friends!
I also had a day that I stayed 5 hours in a darn car!!!
Signed,
Delling D.
[Editor’s note: the
trip from Austin to Fort McKavett is about 3 hours, but can seem much longer!]
Dear Mom,
Today I saw my Dad run over a mockingbird and I met Moses.
Signed,
James C.
Dear Mom,
Today I hiked a trail with my company and met Savannah,
Samantha, and Ashley. I ate dinner with Morgan, Connie and Ashley, the dinner
was AMAZING!!!
Signed,
Jamie H.
Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I went hiking on a trail in the woods. It was fun.
We went to the springs.
Signed,
Savannah S.
Savannah S.
Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I got to see the springs and I got to drink out of
a canteen. And I also got to see how water flows out of the rocks.
Signed,
Conie F.
Dear Mom, Dad and Cooyle,
Today I unpacked and met a new friend, his name is
Terence. And we went to go see the springs today. And we got a canteen for the
week.
Signed,
Holden A.
Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I have really enjoyed this camp. I’m learning new
things and making new friends. Thank you for getting me here.
Signed,
Terence R.
Dear Mom,
Today I was in a van for three hours. When we got to camp
we talked about where we were going to stay and what to do. We did flags and
put sleeping bags in the barracks. We went on a trail to the springs. Then we
ate dinner, It was good. I met Terrence, Holden and Moses.
Signed,
Nicolas
Dear Mom, Dad, and Tyler,
Today I had good subway sandwiches for lunch and I ate
the lettuce on them. Also, I met some good friends, like Ashley, Savannah, and
a lot more other people. We then learned about the springs. For dinner a made a
grilled chicken sandwich with carrots and mashes potatoes. I love you!
Signed,
Samantha A.
Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I got a container like the soldiers [a canteen –ed.] and went on a nature
walk to the springs. I saw our room. I’m sleeping with Jamie, Savannah, Morgan
and Madelon. XOXO Love you!
Signed,
Carmen G.
Dear Mom,
Today I met three new friends and their names are James,
Derek, and Delling.
Signed,
Moses S.
Dear Family,
Today I met a girl named Samantha and a lot more people.
I also saw the springs at Fort McKavett.
Signed,
Morgan W.
Dear Bailey,
Today I met some new friends! I event met someone who
reads Warriors!! I miss you SOOO MUCH!!! I can’t wait to see you when I come
home on Friday. Just don’t let them cut your hair. See you then!
Signed,
Ashley W.
Company C
Dear Mom,
Had a good day, got unpacked and saluted the flag. Then we took a nature walk to the creek. We learned about when the Buffalo Soldier
came to get water. Love you and miss
you very much, all of you!
Signed,
Mikayla H.
Dear Mom,
Today I had a great time!
The ride was really long. I have
best three counselors: Patrick, Kendra, and Brandon. I miss you!
Signed,
Samira S.
Dear Family,
Today I left the library then we went to eat subway and
made it to Fort McKavett successfully.
We got our cots made and we did a drill and I had to help with the flag,
with what I guess is called a flag parade.
We were so ahead of time that we got to take a hike to the creek, then
we the best dinner. It had grilled
chicken with potatoes with a dessert of cherry pie. I wish you were all here so bad.
Signed,
Gavin B.
Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I hiked to a creek, made new friends, did a flag
ceremony, picked out our beds in the barracks, and ate chicken for dinner.
Signed,
Xavier A.
Dear Dad,
This day was almost boring; well some of it was ok. Most of this staff I recognized. The trip to
the Fort took 4 long hours. It won’t
surprise me if I get bored again.
Hopefully the days will pass.
Signed,
Diego M.
Dear Mandy,
Today I got to see a real tipi it was really cool. I also got to see real military barrack.
Signed,
Morgan T.
Morgan T.
Dear Mom,
Today I was dropped off at camp and assigned to a
barracks, but I meet a counselor that gave us Frisbees and other games to play.
P.S. It’s dads fault so he owes me a Pokémon ruby!
Signed,
Phillip N.
Dear Family,
Today I stopped near a park for lunch. We are food to go from Subway. I even got seconds! When we arrived at the Fort, we had a pep
talk and a tornado/severe weather drill.
Later we saw our beds in the barracks.
Then we took a hike. The supper
was very good. I miss you all, can’t
wait to go to sleep.
Signed,
Daniel X.
Dear Mom,
Today I got my canteen and shirts. Then I got all my stuff together and put it
under my cot in the barracks. We pulled
the flag down and went down to the creek.
Signed,
Alexandra V.
Dear Mom,
Today we sorted into companies and I am in C. We walked down to the river. I also held the flag of our company.
Signed,
Collyn S.
Dear Family,
Today I learned people’s names. I love all of ya’ll, can’t wait to see y’all
again, miss you. Me and Arriel are
sleeping in the same room, by each other with our counselor. The room is nearest to the highway.
Signed,
Jasmin S.
Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I had a blast.
Lunch and Dinner was epic! It was hot but I made a new friend!
Signed,
Simon G.
Dear Mom,
Today I made some new friends. Everybody is really nice so far. You should see the barracks that we are
sleeping in. See you soon, Mom!!!
Signed,
Cheyenne H.
Company D
Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I had a lot of fun.
I raised the flag, looked around, and got put in a group called company
D, which stands for delta. I also had a
good dinner with pie. I did make a lot
of friends like: Erica, Jillian, Madeline, and that’s all. They are really nice girls. I hope I made more friends.
Signed,
Andrea S.
Dear Mom, Dad, and Ty,
Today I explored Fort McKavett. I already met four new friends: Andrea,
Erica, Ashley, and Madline. My dinner
was GREAT, and don’t worry I ate my veggies.
Signed,
Jillian A.
Dear Family,
Today I had a trip to Fort McKavett from Austin,
Texas. The trip was very long; it felt
like it would take a whole day to get to the Fort. I also saw an officer’s headquarters and saw
old artifacts in the ground. Oh, also
the headquarters was burned to the ground.
Signed,
Elijah H.
Dear Mom and Dad,
Today we went to the barracks and practiced bad weather
drills, then we explored the fort and found artifacts from the Fort. I met a new friend, Thomas. My group is D for Delta.
Love,
Derek S.
Derek S.
Dear Mom,
Today I saw the commanding officers building. It was torn down because of a fire. Dinner was fabulous, we had grilled chicken
with mashed potatoes, salad, bread, and cobbler.
Signed,
Erica W.
Dear Dad,
Today I saw my new bed.
It was made of wood and a hay mattress thing. I also met a new friend, his name is Derek.
Signed,
Thomas R.
Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I learned that I am in company D of the ABCD
troop. We learned what to do in
emergencies. We also got a tour of Fort
McKavett. During dinner, I spilled
lemonade on myself and I will get to take a shower in a minute, but for now I
am covered in lemonade.
Signed,
Nick H.
Dear Mom,
Today I saw the ruins of the commanding officers
quarters. I am surprised I saw some
shards of pottery near those ruins.
Signed,
Aly C.
Dear Mom,
Today I went to the commanding officers and the Fort and
learned drills. We saw the flag lowering
and I am on the Delta troop and I am making new friends.
Signed,
Tyler H.
Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I saw some ruins of an old building. My counselors said that a fire had caused the
building to collapse and became unstable.
We also lowered the flags, and my legs hurt from all the walking.
Signed,
Angel M.
Dear Daddy,
Today I got a tour of Fort McKavett. There were a lot of shards of pottery and
glass around the ruins. The food was
delicious and I which I got thirds. I
miss you!
Signed,
Shastia A.
Dear Candice,
Today I made tons of friends. Everybody is super nice. Can’t wait to see you again. By the way we saw the cool flag lowering.
Signed,
Madelon C.
Dear Mom,
Today I got to hold a sword. I saw the Fort.
Signed,
Antonio S.
28 Comments:
At June 22, 2013 at 9:56 PM ,
Anonymous said...
Hey Thomas,
I hope you get this message. Glad you made a friend. I hope we can meet Derek when you get back. Have a great time kiddo. Love ya, Mama
At June 22, 2013 at 10:08 PM ,
Unknown said...
Hi Samantha & Jillian A.,
So happy to hear that you've met some wonderful new friends & are trying & eating new foods along with your veggies. :) Enjoy Native-American Day tomorrow & look forward to hearing about what you learned. Stay cool, sweet dreams. P.S. I can tell Tyler really misses you guys.
Love you, Mom
At June 22, 2013 at 10:20 PM ,
Unknown said...
Hi Gracie W.
I LOVED reading your blog and can't wait to read more! I hope you have made some friends, make sure to drink LOTS of water. I love & miss you!
Hugs & Kisses,
~ Mom
At June 22, 2013 at 11:23 PM ,
Ccoyle said...
Hi Gaven & Holden,
We are so excited to hear from you both. Glad to
learn you had a fun first day and made new friends!
Have wonderful adventures tomorrow!!
Love,
Mom, Dad & Ccoyle
<3
At June 22, 2013 at 11:56 PM ,
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
At June 22, 2013 at 11:56 PM ,
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
At June 23, 2013 at 12:02 AM ,
Unknown said...
Hi Daniel X.
We are so excited to hear from you. Glad to know you had a great first day. Enjoy Native-American Day tomorrow and look forward to hearing bout what you learned. Jason already missed you. Make friends and have a great time.
Hugs & Kisses,
Mom, Dad & Jason
At June 23, 2013 at 12:06 AM ,
Unknown said...
Hey Moses, glad that you made new friends. Hope you have a great day tomorrow and we are proud of you.
Love Mom, Dad, Sissy and Ian
At June 23, 2013 at 12:28 AM ,
Unknown said...
Samantha & Jillian,
Crack the code: IdLdOdVtEgYkOoU. :)
Love Always, Daddy
At June 23, 2013 at 1:22 AM ,
Mary M Garcia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
At June 23, 2013 at 1:23 AM ,
Mary M Garcia said...
Hi Simon:
I'm so glad to hear that you're having so much fun and that you've made a new friend. I also loved reading your blog and can't wait to hear more about your day. I hope that your day tomorrow is super great. Don't forget to drink lots of water and use sunscreen. I love you, Mama.
At June 23, 2013 at 1:59 AM ,
Carey said...
Savannah
I'm so glad you had fun at the springs and hiking in the woods. I hope you make lots of friends. Love and miss you. Have fun and be safe!!
Love Mom
At June 23, 2013 at 6:08 AM ,
Heather G. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
At June 23, 2013 at 6:11 AM ,
Heather G. said...
Hi James,
Have a super fun time at camp this week!! I can't wait to hear all about your adventures!
Love, Auntie Heather
At June 23, 2013 at 8:37 AM ,
Unknown said...
Hi Elijah!
I know I probably miss you more then you miss me lol. I'm glad your having a good time. I hope you make some new friends n some awesome memories. I love you!
love you,
mom
At June 23, 2013 at 8:46 AM ,
Unknown said...
Clayton,
Mom & I are so excited for you! We hope you have a great Native American Day and have fun with your new friends. We look forward to hearing more from you!
I want to hear about the fun things you are doing. Mom wants to know what you are eating, if your brushing your teeth, and drinking lots of water (and all the other things Mom worries about)
We love you,
Dad, Mom, Penny & Hazel
At June 23, 2013 at 9:00 AM ,
Unknown said...
Hi Zach R,
Have a great time!!love ya!!
Mom Dad Elle Ally
At June 23, 2013 at 11:02 AM ,
Unknown said...
Hi James,
Glad you are having a good time. Maddy says hi! Keep your Dad in line and make lots of new friends.
Love you, Mom
At June 23, 2013 at 12:35 PM ,
Bianca P. said...
Hi Gavin B.
We are so glad you are having such an awesome time so far! (By the way....Mom forgot to get your swimsuit out from your overnight bag from staying at Poppy's house. Just use a pair of shorts. sorry:(
I'm sure it will be fine.) Keep having fun and making friends. We are so proud of you!
Love,
Mom, Dad, Promise, Graham & Elliott
At June 23, 2013 at 2:59 PM ,
Unknown said...
Hola Nick, I knew you liked lemonade!!! Enjoy camp for the week. It's always fun to learn new things. Lots of love from Grandma Ana and Grandpa Jack.
At June 23, 2013 at 4:37 PM ,
Anonymous said...
hey Carmen
glad to hear you are having fun
can't wait to hear more love you love mommy, daddy
nadia &joseph
At June 23, 2013 at 10:20 PM ,
Unknown said...
Hi Delling and David D., I hope you could see this reply. Mom had a little issue to see my own comments. We are so glad that you are having fun in the camp. Please keep posting what you feel and what you do every day. We are very excited to read them. Love, Mom and grandparents.
At June 23, 2013 at 10:27 PM ,
Unknown said...
Hi Delling and David, we are proud of both of you that are enjoying your first overnight camp. We are looking forward to hearing more from you. Do not forget to put sun screen on. The sun is strong in Austin in the afternoon. Love mom and grandparents.
At June 24, 2013 at 8:59 AM ,
Unknown said...
Hi Simon!
What great news. Glad you are enjoying the food and new friendship. Be sure to compliment the chef (s) because I know they have made lots of planned meals for you and the other campers.
Keep us posted on your stuff and thoughts so we don't miss you too much.
Love you!
Papa
At June 24, 2013 at 11:21 AM ,
Unknown said...
Samira,
We miss you! We hope you are having a good time.
P.S. Saray said "Samira te extrano mucho y te quiero"
Love your family
At June 24, 2013 at 12:33 PM ,
evac218 said...
Hi Joseph - I am glad you are meeting new people. Are you eating enough and are you trying new foods? This is a great opportunity to step out of your comfort zone and connect with people, try new foods and enjoy learning without electronics! I love you and miss you so much!
Love ya - Mom!
At June 24, 2013 at 11:13 PM ,
Aldana Family said...
Joscelyn,
I knew you would make alot of friends and hope the sleeping arrangements are comfortable. This is a once in a lifetime experience. Enjoy every minute.
Love you
Mom
At June 24, 2013 at 11:16 PM ,
Aldana Family said...
Xavier,
Hope you enjoyed the hike and got to see interesting sights. The Flag I see in the picture is Gigantic. Can't wait to hear how ya'll put it up. I am so glad they had chicken, I know thats one of your favorites. I hope you have a great rest of the week.
Love you
Mom
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home