} } Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp: Journal: Monday, June 23, 2014

Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp

Texas youth are gathering for a week at Fort McKavett to learn about the rich cultural heritage of Texas. "Old Stories, New Voices" provides students the opportunity to experience Native American, Hispanic, African-American and Anglo contributions to the history and culture of Texas!

Monday, June 23, 2014

Journal: Monday, June 23, 2014

Company C
Jake C.
I learned that Native Americans do dances and wear different outfits for each one, and that they stored water in animal bladders.  I enjoyed the Indian game shinny.

AJ H.
One interesting thing I learned about Native Americans is that they have pow wows and one dancer was called the grass dancer.  I enjoyed swimming the most yesterday because I got to jump off the diving board.

Carter W.
I learned that the Native Americans traded with the soldiers at the fort. The Native Americans that lived near the fort were mostly nomads and they helped around the fort.  My favorite activity, yesterday, was swimming.

Moses S.
I learned that Chief Broken Eagle lived near Fort McKavett. The dances that they showed us were their traditional dances.  I enjoyed the Indian dancers because they were different than other dances that people do.

Chris Y.
I learned that the Indians near the fort were friendly, and that they wore beads and an eagle feather.  Swimming was my favorite activity.

Carmen G.
I learned how the Native Americans made their clothes and their dances.  We learned about Native American pow wows.  My favorite part of yesterday was the hike.

Allyssa T.
I learned that some Native Americans have pow wows, that they dance and sing at. I also learned that some Native Americans use leaves, sticks, bushes, and the rivers as tools.  The Native Americans used rattle snake skins and that you can drink out of a cactus.

Avery A.
I learned that for living, the Native Americans lived off of what nature produced for them.  They collected their own food, built weapons, and traded them for other needed materials.  I learned that they had pow wows, and that their costumes that they dance in are never really finished.  They wear eagle feathers that are passed down because Eagles are endangered. Also, when you put money on the drum, it means you appreciate their work.  I enjoyed shinny the most because I scored the first 3 goals and Brandon was really funny during the game.

Taylor S.
I learned that Native Americans have cool dances that they do. They also killed animals to trade for other foods or supplies.  Their clothes for dancing is bright and they like it when people applaud them. They pass down traditions to their family.  My favorite part of the day was watching the Native American dancers and singers.  There came to entertain us.

Chase L.
I learned that Native Americans used animal bladders to carry water.  I also learned that the dancers made their own costumes, and that they used beads and animal feathers.  My favorite part of yesterday was shooting the bow and arrows because I almost made a bull’s eye.

Clowey F.
I learned that the Native Americans have parties called pow wows, and that they have jingle dancers.  I enjoyed the weaving because it was awesome.

James C.
We learned about how the Indians and where they lived. I learned that they always lived near the creek. My favorite activity yesterday was watching my dad snore in the middle of the park.

Chloe H.
I learned things about lime rock and a lime kilt.  I also learned that Native American have pow wows.  My favorite activity was swimming, because it was swimming.


Company B
Sabrina R.
I learned that Native Americans wore neat clothing and that they made from different animal skins.  I also learned that they did many different activities such as archery and bandolier bags. I enjoyed archery the most because I had never shot a bow and this was my first time.  The man that helped me said that I did a wonderful job.

Joseph G.
I learned that Native Americans made holes in the rocks so that they could cook their meals. They also used animal bladders to collect water. I enjoyed the Native American dancers.

Trinitee A.
I learned how to make paint with rocks and I saw a teepee.  I also learned that Native Americans don’t eat eagles or skunks.  My favorite part of yesterday was the weaving.

Conie F.
I learned that Native Americans used animal’s bladders to hold water, and that they make food with corn mashed up and pecans.  My favorite part of yesterday was weaving, because it’s neat to see what you can make.

Morgan W.
We learned how Native Americans used holes in rocks to grind corn and nuts.  Another interesting fact we learned was that they used circles to make T.P.s and fire rings.  I enjoyed the weaving the most because it was very calming.

Hailey H.
I learned how many different things in the outdoors can be useful for survival.  Chief Broken Eagle also showed us how corn and nuts were grinded.  Animals are very important for food, water, and clothing.  Food was used as meat, the bladder was used to carry water, and the fur skins were used for clothing. I enjoyed playing shinny, a game similar to soccer, but the ball is moved with large sticks.

Brian Y.
I learned that the Native Americans ate almost everything.  They grinded nuts and food in a hole with grinding stones.  I met Chief Broken Eagle. I did the circle and snake dance.  The Native Americans always used the hides of animals they killed.  They made clothes with the hides. They even used the bladder to carry water.  I loved swimming because swimming is one of my favorite sports.

Bekah B.
I learned that Native Americans ate every type of animal, except skunks.  They depended on animals for clothing and that they invented pecan pie. My favorite part of yesterday was riding in the van, it was peaceful.

Phillip N.
I learned yesterday that shinny was the sport of the Native Americans, and that in the Comanche group you were put to death, for crimes.  I found out that many tribes are still territories in Oklahoma.  My favorite activity was swimming.

Hayden H.
I learned that the Indians lived near Fort McKavett and that the drum was a part of the family and that they wear different clothing for different dances. I loved the archery because I liked it when we got to shoot and retrieve our arrows.

Cullen B.
I learned that the Native Americans carried water in animal bladders, and that they would camouflage themselves.  Swimming was my favorite part of the day because it is fun.


Company D
Ruby R.-D.
I learned about how the Native Americans killed animals to trade with the soldiers for food and clothing. I also learned that the Native Americans used a hole in the ground and a rock to grind corn.

Drew L.
I learned that the Native Americans used a lot of uncommon tools. I also learned that Native Americans eat some snakes. I enjoyed going on hikes because of all the animals. I also liked playing shinny.

Alicia L.
I learned that different Native American tribes have different dances. I also learned that they drink water out of animal bladders. I enjoyed weaving because it was relaxing and fun.

Kael G.
I learned that the Native Americans hade homemade grinders and rocks. I also learned that there are Nomad Indians. I had fun swimming because there was a diving board.

Jake B.
I learned that the Indians had to hunt animals. I also learned that when the Indians killed an animal they would use every part of it. I liked swimming because of the diving board.

Alex C.
I learned that the Native Americans got their water from underground. I also learned that the Native Americans played a game called shinny.

Cameron
I learned that the Indians hunted animals like rattle snakes and that they invented pecan pie. I enjoyed seeing the animal skins.

Jordan F.
I learned that the Native Americans used rocks to smash food. I also learned that they made weapons out of trees. I enjoyed archery the most.

Joseph C.
I learned how the Native Americans made pie, what grinding holes are used for, and what Nomadic Indians slept in. I also learned that the Indians traded with soldiers. I enjoyed swimming because there was a water slide and a diving board.

Andrea S.
I learned a lot from the Native Americans. I learned how to do the round up and snake dance. I also learned how to say “hi” and “bye” in Chawake. I learned what they ate, lived in, and what they used for tools. I really enjoyed the archery. It was a lot of fun.

Memorie L.
I learned that the Native Americans had a hole where they put nuts and corn and crushed it with a rock to make corn meal and that the Nomads had teepees made out of sticks. I also learned how they caught and skinned snakes. I enjoyed seeing the teepee and the animal skins.

Antonio S.
I learned that the Native Americans ate crawfish and that some traveled. I always thought that they stayed in one place. I also learned that the Indians did not have pockets and that they used duffel bags, and how to play shinny. I enjoyed weaving because I like to sit down, relax, and weave for fun.

Anika Q.
I learned what food the Native Americans ate and about a game called shinny. I also learned how the Native Americans used leaves to keep the bugs away and how they would grind corn.


Company A
Natalie L.
The Native Americans taught me how to crack nuts with rocks. They also learned  what to eat from animals. My favorite things yesterday were the pow wow and the archery.

Gia M.
Yesterday I learned that Native Americans crushed pecans in a hole with rocks.

Vi-Ann D.
Native Americans used grinding rocks to grind many things. I also learned that Native Americans have a lot of dances with each tribe. I enjoyed the dances the most.

Derek S.
I learned yesterday how Indians grinded food in holes. I also learned that the Indians lived next to the creek for water. I liked going swimming the most.

Brianna R.
I learned about how the Native Americans crushed nuts with rocks. I also learned about how Native Americans learned what to eat from animals. I enjoyed the pow wow when they danced for us because I liked the dances and the music.

Chris B.
Yesterday I learned about flint and other rocks. The most interesting thing I learned about was animal skins. I liked shinny the most.

Chris L.
I learned that Native Americans used animals for resources. Also Native Americans used whatever they could find. I liked the dancers the most.

Maddie G.
I learned that Indians cracked nuts in holes. I also learned what eagle feathers mean. I enjoyed bandolier bags the most because I could customize it.

Xavier A.
I learned that Indians never wasted any resources. Natives made children work at a young age. I loved the different Native American dances that they performed.

Kevin M.
I learned that Natives worked at a limestone quarry. I also learned that they had grinding stones. I enjoyed shinny the most.

Erica W.
I learned that Native Americans made the first pecan pie. Also they figured out if food was edible by watching the animals. Shinny was my favorite activity.

Sarah A.
I learned that Native Americans made the first pecan pie and it took years to make a grinding hole. I also learned that the eagle is the strongest bird. I liked staying in the van because it was peaceful.


Labels:

8 Comments:

  • At June 23, 2014 at 4:10 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Chris Chase and Cameron I am glad that you guys are learning interesting thing about cultural awareness. I love it and I love you all . Granny

     
  • At June 23, 2014 at 4:31 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Bekah...the van was peaceful? ...really?...
    Hope you are having fun.
    love, xoxo
    mom, dad, mugs and drac

     
  • At June 23, 2014 at 4:34 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Bekah,
    Camp is not supposed to be peaceful--but it is to be a lot of fun. Hope you are having a bunch of fun! Were the Indian Dancers like the ones we saw in Red River? Hugs and Kisses...have a good time...Gma Gpa

     
  • At June 23, 2014 at 4:50 PM , Blogger Monica Martinez said...

    Jordan- Happy to hear you're learning so much and having fun. Haven't seen you in anymore pictures. :( Try to jump in on the next ones. You know how your dad worries. ;) Missing you so much!
    Love,
    Mom

     
  • At June 23, 2014 at 6:47 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Drew,
    I always wanted to try eating snake! Maybe we can eat it together! I love you! Mom

     
  • At June 23, 2014 at 7:28 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Avery A.

    We're so glad you're learning a lot and having a good time. We are proud you scored 3 goals in shinny. We love you and can't wait to see you. We can't wait to take you swimming!

    Love, Mom,Dad & Marisa

     
  • At June 23, 2014 at 8:01 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Ally T
    Cool, glad to hear of all the things u learned abt! I am soo happy UR having a good time! We miss you, I want to see you more in the pics.. Make sure u turn and wave when you see a picture being taken.. Love you!

    Dad,mom and Favy!

     
  • At June 23, 2014 at 10:17 PM , Blogger queen bee said...

    Native American day looked awesome Gia! I am so excited for you! I can't wait to hear all about camp when you come home. Love Mom, Dad, Gianna, Giovanni, Pancho and Pancake.

    P.S. Today is granny birthday!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home