} } Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp: Journal: Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp

Texas youth are gathering for a week at Fort McKavett to learn about the rich cultural heritage of Texas. "Old Stories, New Voices" provides students the opportunity to experience Native American, Hispanic, African-American and Anglo contributions to the history and culture of Texas!

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Journal: Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Company B
Connie F.
My retablo has love, peace, and hope on it with one flower and one ribbon. I enjoyed making tortillas because we got to eat them after we made them. I saw the Beyer’s Workshop at the Menardville Museum.

Brian Y.
My retablo has a picture of a boy with wings. I enjoyed making tortillas because they were tasty. I saw a mini steam engine and I learned how people cut the horns off of cows at the Menardville Museum.

Bekah B.
My retablo has the flag pole and the word camp in a cloud. I enjoyed making tortillas because they were delicious. I saw old wedding dresses and a blacksmith workshop at the Menardville Museum.

Hayden H.
My retablo has a pokeball on it. I enjoyed making tortillas because we got to eat them. I saw a blacksmith workshop, a mini steam engine, and the train station at the Menardville Museum.

Joseph G.
My retablo has a cross with a heart that says Jesus and it has crosses floating in the air. I enjoyed making tortillas because my cousins were there to help me and I put cinnamon and butter on them. I saw really old tools and an old rail road at the Menardville Museum.

Cullen B.
My retablo has a cross with purple around it. I used a pattern to draw it. I enjoyed making tortillas because it was fun and we got to eat them. I saw an old Indian dress, old computers, and old tennis rackets at the Menardville Museum.

Morgan W.
My retablo has a cross with yellow flowers and a blue sky. I enjoyed making tortillas because they were good to eat and fun to make. At the Menardville museum I saw a lot of typewriters, costumes, old wedding dresses, and a wheelchair from a long time ago.

Hailey H.
My retablo says “live, laugh, love” and it has a picture of a ladybug in the lower right corner. I enjoyed making tortillas because they were fun to flip onto the pan and eat. I saw how the blacksmith worked and old clothing at the Menardville Museum.

Phillip N.
My retablo looks like random graffiti. I liked making tortillas because I love Mexican food. I saw old things at the Menardville Museum such as mechanic sawing machines and typewriters.





Sabrina R.
My retablo is a pretty cross with flowers surrounding it. I also put rose bushes on the sides of the cross. When I get home, I’m going to give it to my dad! I enjoyed making tortillas because we got to cook them ourselves and they were really good. I can’t wait to cook them with my parents. At the Menardville Museum I saw some typewriters, old wedding dresses, and even a purse made out of armadillo skin!

Trinitee A.
My retablo has a cross and a tiger with some words on it. I enjoyed making tortillas because it was really fun and I don’t always have fun while learning but I did with the tortillas and they were delicious. I saw an old Indian dress and a blacksmith workshop at the Menardville Museum. It was fun and cool.


Company A
Chris B.
My retablo has a bloody grand theft auto on it. I really enjoyed making tortillas because I got to eat them after. I saw old stuff at the Menardville Museum.

Kevin M.
My retablo has an A on it. I enjoyed making tortillas because I got to eat them in the end. I saw some WW11 pictures of people who served at the Menardville Museum.

Vi-Ann D.
My retablo has family in the middle. Around is hope, friends, and Menard. I loved making tortillas because it was fun making corn and flour tortillas and they tasted good. What I saw in the Menardville Museum was old typewriters, books, and calculators.

Gia M.
My retablo has a cross with family, fun, and friends. I liked making tortillas because it was fun making them and eating them. I saw wedding dresses at the Menardville Museum.

Chris L.
I painted a basketball on my retablo has a basketball on it. I liked making the tortillas. I saw a lot of old stuff at the Menardville Museum.

Brianna R.
My retablo has a cross in the middle with flowers around the cross with polka dots in the background. Of course I loved making tortillas!! The tortillas were super yummy and they were fun to make. I saw pictures of men who fought in WW11 at the Menardville Museum.

Natalie L.
My reatablo looks horrible! It has a cross wit love in it. I liked making tortillas because they smelled good. I saw old books at the Menardville Museum.

Maddie G.
My retablo has “My crime was stealing your heart”.  I liked making tortillas. I saw HISTORY IN PERSON at the Menardville Museum.


Sarah A.
My retablo looks like a painting. I liked making tortillas but I needed some beans! I saw HISTORY IN PERSON at the Menardville Museum.

Derek S.
My retablo looks like a torn down presidio. I liked making tortillas because it was fun and tasty. I saw an old wind mill and some old tools at the Menardville Museum.

Xavier A.
My retablo has an UTSA college symbol. I enjoyed making tortillas because it was fast and easy. I saw a lot of old guns and cash registers at the Menardville Museum.

Erica W.
My retablo looks like awesomeness. I like making tortillas because they were good. I saw an old key board and a wine machine at the Menardville Museum.


Company D
Kale G.
My retablo looks like candy in the shape of a man. I enjoyed making tortillas because they tasted good.  I saw a bar that had a bullet hole in the glass and was cracked at the Menardville Museum.

Jake B.
My retablo has a football on it.  I loved making the tortillas, they were so good. At the Menardville Museum, I saw a broken mirror.

Drew L.
My retablo has an 8 sideways and has live & love on it.  I enjoyed making tortillas because they were good and it was fun to play with. I saw really old things, such as a bread machine at the Menardville Museum.

Ruby R-D.
My retablo has a brown guitar with black strings painted on it.  I liked making tortillas because we got to eat them.  At the Menardville Museum I saw the first windmill, shoes from a long time ago, and lots of other stuff.

Memorie L.
My retablo looks like an angel kneeling down praying, and the angel’s name is St. Michael. I enjoyed making tortillas because they were easy to make them, and it was fun. I saw typewriters and really old calculators, a book from the 1800s, and a vest from the 1949 Army at the Menardville Museum.

Alicia L.
My retable has a cross with a finger painted flowers on them.  It also has a blue background with birds on it.  I loved making the tortillas. I think the flour ones were better.  I had a lot of fun learning how simple they were to make.  At the Menardville Museum I saw old typewriters, and an old barn with lots of man things in it.

Anika Q.
My retablo is of a squirrel inside a giant acorn with 4 other acorns around it.  It has a yellow background. I enjoyed making tortillas because we got to play with the dough and eat them.  I saw Mr. Breyers workshop, an old rail road station, and an old saloon at the Menardville Museum.

Andrea S.
My retablo has a red background, then on the front it has blue swirls that go all the way around it.  I enjoyed making tortillas because I love them especially flour tortillas.  Savanah and her mom make them and I like them fresh.  I saw all kinds of old dresses, typewriters, calculators, dolls, baths, pictures, and much more at the Menardville Museum.  I learned a lot there, and hope I can go again.

Antonio S.
My retablo has a cross with a sun shining down on it and a big hill. I liked making tortillas because I got to eat them. At the Menardville Museum, I saw a saloon, Civil War stuff, old costumes, pictures of old war people, and a Navy Commander.

Cameron L.
I enjoyed making tortillas because it was my first time do it.  I saw old typewriters at the Menardville Museum.

Alex C.
My retablo has an eye on it.  I loved making tortillas because they were filling.  I saw old typewriters at the Menardville Museum.

Jordan F.
My retablo looks like a turtle.  I liked making tortillas because I got to eat them. I saw guns and old typewriters at the Menardville Museum.

Joseph C.
My retable is of a giant Pokeman ball in the ocean. We got to eat our flour tortillas after we made then, I liked that. I saw an old typewriter, books, a bar, and old glass bottles at the Menardville Museum.


Company C
Carter W.
Yesterday we went to the museum and I saw old typewriters and calculators. Later on that day we made tortillas and retablos. My retablo looks like a cross.

Jake C.
I saw a steam engine at the museum and made tortillas and retablos, my retablo looked like a cross with purple, black, and yellow.

Chase L.
Yesterday I saw old typewriters. I made tortillas and retablos. My retablo looks like a cross.

AJ H.
We made retablos and tortillas, my retablo looked like Spiderman. Then we went to the museum and saw old army helmets.

James C.
I saw a bunch of old stuff at the museum. Then I made retablos and mine looks like an angel.

Christopher Y.
I made tortillas and I loved it because they tasted good.

Moses S.
I went to the museum and saw old calculators and later made retablos and tortillas.

Clowey F.
Yesterday I went to the museum and saw typewriters, dresses, and dolls. I also made a tortilla and a retablo.

Avery A.
I made tortillas and a retablo, my retablo looks like a wooden board that says be proud of who you are. And at the museum I saw a saloon and dresses.

Taylor S.
Yesterday I went to the museum and saw old costumes, tool, and typewriters. Later on I had lots of fun making tortillas and retablo. My retablo looks like a red cross.

Chloe H.
I went to the museum and saw many things that day I made tortillas and retablos my retablo looks like the YouTube logo.

Carmen G.
I made tortillas and I like it because they tasted good.

Alyssa T.

I made tortillas and loved it. I also made a retablo and it looks like a cross.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At June 24, 2014 at 1:07 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Bekah... can you show me how to make tortillas? Make fun memories. We love you.
    mom, dad, mugs and drac

     
  • At June 24, 2014 at 1:10 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Morgan
    I already have a place on the wall to hang your retablo. I can't wait to have you come home and cook for me.

    Love, Mom

     
  • At June 25, 2014 at 12:08 AM , Blogger Monica Martinez said...

    Jordan,
    Can't wait to see your "turtle". Grandpa's going to have you make him tortillas every weekend! I miss you.
    Love,
    Mom :)

     
  • At June 25, 2014 at 8:24 PM , Blogger Teddy said...

    Triniteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee......I do miss you so very much. I miss your kisseeees at night and poking you in your side. I hope you are having a great time at camp, and learning a whole bunch. Can't wait to see you soon. I love you lots.
    Daddy

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home