} } Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp: Postcards from Camp: Monday, June 23, 2014

Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp

Texas youth are gathering for a week at Fort McKavett to learn about the rich cultural heritage of Texas. "Old Stories, New Voices" provides students the opportunity to experience Native American, Hispanic, African-American and Anglo contributions to the history and culture of Texas!

Monday, June 23, 2014

Postcards from Camp: Monday, June 23, 2014

Company B
Dear Family,
Native people hide themselves to look like their surroundings.
Signed,
Cullen B.

Dear Dad,
I learned how to shoot a bow and arrow.  It was very fun.
Signed,
Bekah B.

Dear Mom,
Yesterday I learned about Native Americans.  It was fun. I learned about animal hides and the natural springs.
Signed,
Brian Y.

Dear Dad,
My friends and I love the cards and gifts.  My only regret is they won’t let us have snacks in the cabins. I also learned how to weave.
Signed,
Morgan W.

Dear Family,
I am having a great time at camp.  I am learned a lot of new things, but it is fun learning it. My counselors are the best.  Love you all.
Signed,
Trinitee A.

Dear Parents,
I’m having fun this week and today we are learning about Hispanic Heritage.
Signed,
Joseph G.

Dear Mom and Dad,
Yesterday we learned a game called shinny. It’s like hockey but you’re not on ice. I’m also a little homesick.  I really miss you guys.
Signed,
Sabrina R.


Company C
Dear Mom,
I learned how to shoot a bow and arrow.
Signed,
Chloe H.

Dear Bob,
I learned how to do the friendship round dance and the snake dance.
Signed,
James C.

Dear Daddy,
Today at camp was fun. We got to swim for an hour.  I love you forever.
Signed,
Clowey (your daughter)

Dear Granny and Papa,
I learned that Native Americans stored things in animal bladders.
Signed,
Chase L.

Dear Mom and Dad,
I learned some of the Native Americans traded food or supplies for something they needed. They lived on berries, nuts, animals, and water.
Signed,
Taylor S.

Dear Family,
My favorite part of camp was learning the grass dance.  The Indians sang and danced as they told us stories.
Signed,
Carmen G.

Dear Alix,
We went swimming.
Signed,
Chris Y.

Dear Dad,
We watched dancing.
Signed,
Moses S.

Dear Mom,
Yesterday I learned an Indian game called shinny.  It is sort of like hockey, but on a grass field.
Signed,
Carter W.

Dear Mom and Dad,
One of the Native American skills I learned was that the Native Americans stored water in animal bladders.
Signed,
AJ H.

Dear Mom,
We went swimming yesterday.  We also shot a bow and arrow. We played the Indian game shinny, which is like hockey and soccer.
Signed,
Jake C.



Company A
Dear Mommy,
Again I DON’T LIKE HISTORY! But I swam and did archery. It was fun, anyway let’s watch a movie when I get back.
Signed,
Sarah A.

Dear Dad,
I learned that the Native Americans used weaving to make clothes and bags.
Signed,
Erica W.

Dear Mom and Dad,
I am so tired but having fun.
Signed,
Kevin M.

Dear Mom and Dad,
Yesterday was Native American day. I learned to play shinny and how to shoot a bow and arrow.
Signed,
Xavier A.

Dear Mommy,
I learned how to play a game called shinny. It was painful. It was still fun though.
Love,
Maddie G.  (Nothing too extreme)

Dear Granny,
I learned that Native Americans used stones to crack pecans.
Signed, Chris L.

Dear Mommy,
I learned about Native Americans yesterday. I had a really fun time swimming and playing shinny.
Signed,
Brianna R.

Dear Mom and Dad,
I’m having a lot of fun at camp. On Sunday we learned about Native Americans and how they lived. The food here is really good and there are fun activities.
Signed,
Derek S.

Dear Mom and Dad,
What I learned from the Native Americans was how to crack pecan shells with rocks. Also, I learned to weave and play shinny, Native American field hockey.
Signed,
Gia M.

Dear Les,
Yesterday I watched Native American dancers and I really liked it. I want to go to a pow wow now.
Signed,
Nat L. 


Company D
Dear Mom,
Yesterday I learned all about Native Americans. It was really fun. I got to weave, play shinny, swim, and meet a Native American.
Signed,
Antonio S.

Dear brother and sisters,
I am having an awesome time.
Signed,
Memorie L.

Dear Mom,
Today I learned what Indians did to make baskets and how to weave.
Signed,
Joseph C.

Dear Mom,
I shot arrows yesterday and made two bulls-eyes. I also played shinny with a stick and a ball. I also went swimming and learned that Indians invented pecan pie.
Signed,
Jordan F.

Dear Ian,
Yesterday I learned how to play shinny. I love you Ian.
Signed,
Alex C.

Dear Mom and Dad,
Yesterday we had a Native American Day and went to the pool. The pool was fun because it had a diving board.
Signed,
Jake B.

Dear Mom, Dad, and Chayse,
I learned about and Indian game named shinny. You use poles to move a ball through a goal. It is kind of like field hockey.
Signed,
Kael G.

Dear Ronnie,
I learned how the Native Americans weaved their baskets and how they played and made up their own games. I hope today is as fun as yesterday.
Signed,
Alicia L.

Dear Mom,
I’m having so much fun learning about new things. We went swimming, weaved, played shinny, and made bags. I love you so much and I will see you soon.
Signed,
Drew L.



Labels:

14 Comments:

  • At June 23, 2014 at 2:43 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Morgan -- I'm sorry about the snacks. I'm sure they're feeding you well enough that you really don't need snacks.
    Wolfie keeps wanting to go outside and wait in the driveway for you.
    Luv, Mom
    Rats!
    Love, Dad

     
  • At June 23, 2014 at 3:07 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I didn't see my kiddos post..???

    Ally T
    U hope your having a good time..I missed reading your blog!
    Love you!

     
  • At June 23, 2014 at 3:13 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Bekah... so glad you are having fun. Make lots of good memories.
    Love,
    Mom, dad, mugs and drac

     
  • At June 23, 2014 at 3:27 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Sabrina, i want you to teach me shinny when you get home. We miss you too but I know you are having a great time with your friends so hope you are focusing on that and writing in your journal! So many great things for you to see and do! Hugs and love...see you in a few days!,
    Mom and Dad

     
  • At June 23, 2014 at 4:14 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Alicia, runt is lost without you are we missing you like crazy! Hugs and kisses. Mom & Ronnie

     
  • At June 23, 2014 at 5:01 PM , Blogger Monica Martinez said...

    Jordan,
    I know you're enjoying the swimming, especially in this heat. Way to go in archery! Maybe we can make some pecan pie when you get home. Can't wait to give you a big hug. Have lots of fun! Love you! :-)
    Mom
    P.S. Grandpa's calling me every hour asking about you! He misses you like crazy. :D

     
  • At June 23, 2014 at 7:31 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Trinitee,

    I'm glad you are learning lots of new things. I've always wanted to know how to weave and now you get to teach me. I can't wait to hear about what you are going to do next, so dig in and have a great time doing it. Love Mom

     
  • At June 23, 2014 at 8:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey Kael G - it looks like you are having a great time. Keep making great memories that you can tell us about. And, I can't wait until you can make me some tortillas and salsa. Love you bunches!
    Nenaw and Papaw

     
  • At June 23, 2014 at 9:24 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Hi Kael!!! We are really enjoying hearing about all the great times you are having!! Keep letting us know about everything! It sounds like an amazing experience! I have always wanted to learn how to make homemade tortillas...now you can teach me!!!
    CJ says wiggle wiggle. WE ARE SO PROUD OF YOU
    !! Keep learning!!! We love you, your family!!!

     
  • At June 23, 2014 at 10:23 PM , Blogger queen bee said...

    I am glad to hear about all the fun activities you are doing. We are jealous of all the fun you guys are having. Gia we love you.

    Mom, Dad, Gianna, Giovanni, Pancho, and Pancake.

     
  • At June 23, 2014 at 10:44 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At June 23, 2014 at 10:54 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Sabrina,

    I just wanted to say Hi! I hope that you are having a wonderful time at camp. I know you are a little homesick. But know your home and family (to include me) will be here when it is time for you to come home. Enjoy camp! I hve some of my fondest memories from camp. I really enjoyed learning Archery as well but my first time was not a winner. Here is you a little laugh. My first time I shot a cow in the behind and had to wrangle him and take him to the barn, so the vet could come take it out. Enjoy that laugh and have a wonderful day.

    Love,
    Margie Oakes

     
  • At June 23, 2014 at 11:39 PM , Blogger Pandora said...

    Maddie G.
    It sounds like you're surviving and actually having fun :)
    I can't wait to hear all about your adventures when you get home. I want you to teach me how to play shinny and show me your bandolier bag.
    I miss you and so does Mimi and Daud and Tess and Petula and Coco Chanel.
    Love you...see you Friday.
    xoxoxo, mom

     
  • At June 24, 2014 at 11:43 PM , Blogger Beltran said...

    Jake B. I'm not surprised your retalbo has a football on it!Dad Mitch Alice and I will be waiting for you on Friday with all the ingredients for tortillas! It sounds like you're having a blast. Love and miss you! Madre

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home