} } Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp: Postcards from Camp, Saturday: June 21, 2014

Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp

Texas youth are gathering for a week at Fort McKavett to learn about the rich cultural heritage of Texas. "Old Stories, New Voices" provides students the opportunity to experience Native American, Hispanic, African-American and Anglo contributions to the history and culture of Texas!

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Postcards from Camp, Saturday: June 21, 2014

Company D
Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I rode a bus for 2 and half hours with some crazy girls. I also had some AMAZING food. It was awesome! Hope you had a good day.
Love you,
Jake B.

Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I met some new people and we were on the road.  We got to eat Subway and we got to explore the camp.  Did you know they don’t have private showers?  (Editor’s note: they have private showers stalls). Anyways I’m having fun and I miss and love you.
Signed,
Memorie L.

Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I got started setting up, but lost my sleeping bag. I ate chicken and met Alex.  The trip was awesome.
Signed,
Antonio S.

Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I made new friends and settled in the cabin. I ate really good food for dinner.
Signed,
Ruby R-D.

Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I went to the creek, played Frisbee and had a great meal. Tomorrow we will do a lot of activities so I’m looking forward to that. So far it’s been great! I am having a lot of fun. We met our new counselors and they are really nice.  I’ve also seen old friends and met some new ones. I just wanted to tell you I am having a great time.
Signed,
Andrea S.

Dear Granny,
Today we are having a great time at camp. See you on Friday. I am going to have a great time at the pool.
Love you,
Cameron L.

Dear Mom,
Today I met somebody and went on a really long ride. We went down to a spring. It looks a lot like the North Carolina Rivers. I look forward to seeing you.
Signed,
Anika Q.

Dear Mom,
Today I got situated and now I am ready for the rest of the week.  I miss you and Ronnie. They have great food here and I know I will be fine.
Signed,
Alicia L.

Dear Ian,
Today I learned a lot about how soldiers sleep in barracks. Plus this place is amazing and I wish you could come.
I love you,
Alex C.

Dear Mom, Dad, and Chayse,
Today I got settled in and made a new friend named Joseph. They went over all the rules, which took a while, almost the whole day.  We did tornado and fire drills. Right before we started this journal entry we played some Frisbee.
P.S. Derick & I are sharing a bunk.
Signed,
Kael G.

Dear Mom,
Today I met 2 new friends, Jake and Kael. We had dinner and played Frisbee. 
Love you,
Joseph C.

Dear Mom,
Today I was put in Company D and toured the barracks. Learned about the fort, and went looking at a stream.  I also got to play football. My bed is like a canopy and the showers are outside (Editor’s note: the showers are outside, but have private stalls).
Signed,
Jordan F.

Dear Mother,
Today I had so much fun. I went on a hike and did lots of other stuff. I wish to come back again next year.  I hope you get my messages.
Love you XOXO,
Drew L.

 
Company C
Dear Mom,
Today I met new friends in company C. Alex went to the river trip.
Signed,
Christopher Y.

Dear Mr. President,
Today I saw a fort and lots of people. I have met many people and made many friends.
Signed,
James C.

Dear Mom,
Today I saw a creek and we got settled in our cots. I met the counselors and the camp staff. I love the camp already.
Signed,
Avery A.

Dear Mom,
Today I took a boring 3 hour drive to Ft. McKavett. We learned all the rules and safety regulations. We also had delicious chicken and cherry cobbler.
Signed,
Carter w.

Dear Mom and Dad,
Today we got assigned to our companies. I got company C. I also got to meet a lot of people.
Signed,
AJ H.

Dear Dad,
Today I went down to the creek and went over procedures. We practiced the flag raising and lowering. I got in company C and met Chase.
Signed,
Jane C.

Dear Mom,
Today I met new people and found out what we are going to be doing for the next 6 days. I think it will be fun but it will be hot all throughout the week.
Signed,
Chloe H.

Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I had a lot of fun! I made a lot of friends. We got to go to the creek. My company is really nice. So far I really like this camp. I hope to come back.
Signed,
Taylor S.

Dear Family,
Today I met 5 girls and they are awesome. My best friend that I met is named Alyssa. We walk with each other and do fun stuff. We walked to the river and back. I love you and miss you.
Signed,
Carmen G.

Dear Mom,
Today I learned the rules of camp and went through the tornado and fire drills.
Signed,
Moses S.

Dear Mommy,
I learned a little bit about soldiers and I went down a trail. It was a lot of fun.
Signed,
Clowey F.

Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I met 2 friends named Gia and Carmen. They are really nice and funny. I got to see the creek. The creek has lots of water and rocks.
Love you,
Ally

Dear Granny and Papa,
Today I went on a nature trail, met new friends, lowered the flag, and ate grilled chicken. It was a blast.
Signed,
Chase L.


Company A                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I had a great day. I really got to make two new friends! I really miss you. I met Pancho and Pancakes. See you at the end of camp.                                                                                                                       
Signed,
Gia M.
                                                                                                                                       
Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I had a fun time in camp. We did a fire and tornado drill, It was easy to remember.             
Signed,
Vi-Ann D.

Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I joined Company A, and got to pick out my sleeping place in the barracks. I had chicken, mashed potatoes, and cherry cobbler for dinner. We also looked at the ruins of some of the buildings. I’m having a great time.                                                                                                                                                                      
Signed,
Xavier A.

Dear Mom,
Today I made two friends Sara and Maddie. We also saw the field officers’ quarters and we had grilled chicken for dinner it was awesome!   P.S. Everyone liked my hair.                                                   
Signed,
Erica W.

Dear Mother,
Today I realized that there are tarantulas everywhere! What kind of camp have you sent me to?  Joking I love it!                                                 
Signed,
Maddie G.

Dear Mom and James,
Today I set up my bed. Then, I did drills. After, we pulled down the flag, then ate food. It was really good. Better than yours. I had fun today.
Signed,
Brianna R.

Dear Las,
Today I took a long ride but it was fun. We ate yummy food that was better than moms. P.S. don’t tell her.
Signed,
Nat (Natalie L.) 

Dear Mom,
Today I made two great new friends, Maddie, she is pretty, and Erika who has purple hair. I made one more friend too named Gwen.
Signed,
Sarah A.

Dear Mom, Dad, Barrett, and Allison,
Today I missed all of you. I’m having a really fun time at camp but, Kael and I are not in the same group. Kael and I share a bunk. Bye!
Signed,
Derek S.

Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I did a lot of things so far. We have seen some ruins where field officers and generals lived. I’m having a great time and meeting new friends. Can’t wait to see you.
Signed,
Kevin M.

Dear Mom,
Today I got to see old things and there are lots of trees.
Signed,
Chris B.

Dear Granny,
Today I did a lot of cool stuff and I’m having a great time here. I’m meeting lots of new friends and new things. I would just like to say hi.
Signed,
Chris L.                                                                                                                                                                                  


Company B
Dear people,
Today I met Lawrence, he is cool. I had a good dinner including chicken, bread, and salad.
Signed,
Cullen B.

Dear Mom,
Today I arrived at Fort McKavett for the third time. I was assigned to a great barracks and instantly made a new friend called “Ayden”.
Signed,
Phillip N.

Dear Mom and Dad,
Today we drove to camp and met some friends. We had safety drills and then took a walk. We had chicken for diner. I miss you and I lost my tooth.
Signed,
Bekah B.

Dear Kianna,
Today I learned a lot about the camp and I had a lot of fun. Yes, I am still alive because I know that you love and care about me. Love you. <3
Signed,
Trinitee A.

Dear Mom,
Today I had fun at camp, we went to the creek and got to eat a really good diner! I’m kind of home sick.
Signed,
Sabrina R.

Dear parents,
Today I learned about the barracks and met the counselors, my favorite is Lawrence.
Signed,
Joseph G.

Dear Mom, Travis, Gus, Hunter,
Today I arrived at Fort McKavett and got settled. I made some friends and went on an awesome hike!!
Signed,
Hayden H.

Dear Kasama,
Today I finished setting up for camp. I met a few new people and have been doing fine. I will be going back to the barracks soon, but I just wanted to tell you, your nerd loves you!
Signed,
Hailey H. 

Dear Mom,
Today I learned about the barracks and about the soldiers that lived here. I ate two chicken breasts and two pieces of cherry cobbler.
Signed,
Brian Y. 

Dear Mom and Dad,
Today I met some new friends named Erica, Maddie, and Morgan. I have seen the springs.
Signed,
Conie F. 

Dear Mom,
Today I had a lot of fun with my friends. The ride over here was long and fun. My friends and I all are sleeping next to each other.
Signed,
Morgan W.

Labels:

16 Comments:

  • At June 22, 2014 at 11:14 AM , Blogger Chevie Griggers said...

    Clowey ... We are glad you are having fun! We love you bunches!! Love Mom & Drew

     
  • At June 22, 2014 at 11:25 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Morgan, life is very good. I'm glad your enjoying time with your friends.

    Luv, Mom & Dad

     
  • At June 22, 2014 at 11:47 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Bekah...glad your tooth isnt hurting anymore. Mugsly is fine. Have fun! Xoxo
    love, mom and dad and mugs too

     
  • At June 22, 2014 at 12:47 PM , Blogger Monica Martinez said...

    Jordan I'm so happy to hear from you! Glad you like it and hope you have lots of fun. Your postcard made me laugh. ;) XOXOXO
    Love,
    Mom

     
  • At June 22, 2014 at 1:02 PM , Blogger Rachel A. said...

    Glad to hear you found someone you like Joseph G. Hope you have lots of fun. We miss you already! Mom and Mike

     
  • At June 22, 2014 at 1:04 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    So happy to hear you are having fun, Hayden. Have a great week!! Love, Mom, Travis, Hunter and Gus.

     
  • At June 22, 2014 at 1:16 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Kevin, We are so happy you are having a great time exploring ruins and making new friends. We can't wait to hear about all of your adventures!
    Lots of love,
    Mom, Dad, Kirsten and Duncan

     
  • At June 22, 2014 at 1:32 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    James,

    So glad you informed the president about your trip so far. Glad you are making friends.

    Love,
    Granannie

     
  • At June 22, 2014 at 1:45 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Hi Chris Chase and Cameron I was glad to read your post. I am glad that you are having a great time. I look forward to reading something else from you guys. I love you Granny.

     
  • At June 22, 2014 at 3:21 PM , Blogger queen bee said...

    Gia, I am so glad to hear you are having a great time and you made new friends. Remember to say your prayers and I will give Pancho and Pancake a hug for you.

    Love Mom, Dad, Gianna, Giovanni, Pancho, and Pancake.

     
  • At June 22, 2014 at 3:38 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Trinitee,
    I need you to STAY there because I'm gettin all the attention now, and its unstressful.But I guess its good to know that you're learnin' stuff...just, don't get your hair wet. (XOXO? nah)

    Like,
    Kianna

     
  • At June 22, 2014 at 4:23 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Chloe H.

    I am glad that you met new people. It is hot but enjoy yourself and have fun.

    Love you and miss you,

    Mom

     
  • At June 22, 2014 at 5:12 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Ally T
    Hey bebe, I am so glad u made new friends! Dad and i read UR post to Favy and he is also happy UR having a good time! Have fun and be safe! Love you.. Mom,dad and Favy!

     
  • At June 22, 2014 at 5:50 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Sabrina, gLad you got a yummy dinner! Hope you enjoyed the Indian teaching....archery was always my favorite! Hope you have an awesome evening ang enjoy the time with your friends! You will be back home and complaining about being bored soon enough! Love you bunches!
    Mom

     
  • At June 22, 2014 at 8:03 PM , Blogger Heather G. said...

    Hi James!
    I am glad you are having a good time so far! I hope your mom, dad, and sister are having fun too, even though they are working this week. Please pass along my "hellos" to them. I can't wait to see more photos of your fun activities this week!
    ~Love, Auntie Heather

     
  • At June 22, 2014 at 8:17 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Avery, we read your postcard and blog. So glad you're enjoying camp. Can't wait to hear what you've learned. Can't wait to see you.

    Love, Mom, Dad, & Marisa

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home