} } Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp: Postcards from Camp, Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Postcards from Camp - Old Stories New Voices Youth Camp

Texas youth are gathering for a week at Fort McKavett to learn about the rich cultural heritage of Texas. "Old Stories, New Voices" provides students the opportunity to experience Native American, Hispanic, African-American and Anglo contributions to the history and culture of Texas!

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Postcards from Camp, Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Company B
Dear Mom and Dad,
Some things we did yesterday were arts and crafts, clues in the dirt, made tortillas, and visited the Menardville Museum. My favorite was probably tortilla making because they were so good. I’m not feeling so homesick anymore but I still can’t wait until Friday!
Signed, Sabrina R.

Dear Mom,
Today we made both flour and corn tortillas. Then we listened to a Mariachi Band, but my favorite part was the tortillas. I might make some when I get home.
Signed, Phillip N.

Dear Joe,
Yesterday I learned about Hispanic heritage. We made tortillas, retablos, and after dinner we watched a group of Mariachi’s. They reminded me of you and your birthday so I decided to say “hi.”
Signed, Hailey H.

Dear Wolf,
One of the activities I did yesterday was making tortillas. Making tortillas was my favorite. I can’t wait to make you some.
Signed, Morgan W.

Dear People,
My favorite activity was making tortillas because it was fun and we got to eat them.
Signed, Cullen B.

Dear Parents,
My favorite activity was the museum because there was a lot of history there. I learned that Texas became a state in 1892. I miss y’all so much.
Signed, Joseph G.

Dear Mother,
My favorite thing was to make a retablo which is a painting. It was fun!
Signed, Hayden H.

Dear Mom and Dad,
Painting retablos was my favorite activity because I like painting. I have an awesome counselor named Toni Rose.
Signed, Bekah B.

Dear Mom and Dad,
My favorite activity was when we got to sample Hispanic foods and listen to stories.
Signed, Brian Y.

Dear Mom,
I like Hispanic day because I can make corn and flour tortillas. And mom I miss you bunches.
Signed, Connie F.

Dear Hannah and Nadiya,
Sorry if I spelled your name wrong but I just wanted to say that I love you both, and the camp is wonderful even though there are some things that make me mad (my hair). It’s all good.
Love y’all, Trinitee A.


Company D
Dear Mom,
Today I went and learned how to make tortillas.  We also went to a museum to learn about the town of Menard.  See you on Friday.
Signed, Joseph C.

Dear Mom,
Yesterday I made corn and flour tortillas. They were delicious. 
Signed, Jordan F.

Dear Ian,
Yesterday we made tortillas, they were delicious.  I will help you make them when I get home.  I love you Ian!
Signed, Alex C.

Dear Granny,
Chris, Chase, and I are having a great time at camp.  Sorry we can’t wee you, but we will see you in 3 days. I love you.
Signed, Cameron L.

Dear Dad,
I went to a museum yesterday with a cowboy bar, old Navy pictures, and Navy helmets, typewriters, and an Indian princess costume.
Signed, Antonio S.

Dear Mom and Dad,
Yesterday was really fun. We painted retablos, made tortillas, talked about wool, dug in the dirt, and there was a mariachi band that came. They were really good.
Signed, Andrea S.

Dear Mom,
Today I got to see a Soldado and priest. The Soldado costume was different from ours. I will show you a picture when I get home. The mariachi band was also very good.
Signed, Anika

Dear Mom,
I miss you, Runt, Ronnie, and Yaya. Tomorrow night we will be sleeping in tents, I’m kind of nervous, but I will be fine. I also passed my swimming test and touched the bottom of an eight foot pool. 
Love you, Alicia L.

Dear Loredo Family,
We made a retablo yesterday. My retablo has a saint on there. The Saint’s name is St. Michael. Also we made tortillas, they were good.
Signed, Memorie L.

Dear Mom and Dad,
I like the performance by the Mariachi band, it was my favorite activity.
Signed, Ruby R-D.

Dear Mother,
I miss you very much! I wish I could see you. Today we get to go swimming.
Signed, Drew L.

Dear Mom and Dad,
I enjoyed making the tortillas so much. They tasted awesome. You guys should try them, just get White Wings Tortillas mix, butter, and cinnamon.
Signed, Jake B.

Dear Mom, Dad, and Chayse,
My favorite part was when we made flour and corn tortillas. Both of them, plus butter and cinnamon, tasted good.
Signed, Kael C.


Company A
Dear Ivan,
I loved the tortillas I made yesterday. They were fun to make and the flour tortillas you could put cinnamon, sugar, and butter on.
Signed, Erica W.

Dear Mom and Dad,
I miss you so much! Yesterday was Hispanic Heritage Day. We made flour and corn tortillas. We also went to the Presidio of the San Saba River. I’m having a great time!
Signed, Xavier A.

Dear Mom and Dad,
We went to the presidio and the Menardville Museum. I really miss you. I’m having a great time!
Signed, Derek S.

Dear Mamma,
I saw a Mexican band and made tortillas. I got a splinter but Nurse Patti removed it!
Signed, Sarah A.

Dear Mommy,
Yesterday I made you a present so get EXCITED! See you in generations by the way I made a tortilla.
Signed, Maddie G.

Dear Tiff,
We made tortillas and they were so yummy! My favorite part was the mariachi! One singer grabbed me and made me dance
Signed, Natalie L.

Dear Mommy and James,
I made flour and corn tortillas. I can make you some. We also saw a mariachi band. One of the mariachi’s made me and Natalie dance!
Signed, Brianna R.

Dear Granny,
I liked the food today. It was different from other foods I have tried.
Signed, Chris L.

Dear Mom and Dad,
My favorite thing yesterday was looking at the presidio.
Signed, Gia M.

Dear Mom and Dad,
I loved making tortillas. They were the best I have ever had.
Signed, Vi-Ann D.

Dear Mom and Dad,
Yesterday we made tortillas that was my favorite.
Signed, Kevin M.

Dear Mom,
I made tortillas and ate them.
Signed, Chris B.


Company C
Dear Mom and Dad,
Today my favorite activity was cooking tortillas.
Signed, Alyssa T.

Dear family,
We got to dance with the mariachi band, it was so fun. I recognized most of the songs.
Signed, Carmen G.

Dear Mom,
One of my favorite things we did was the retablos. I liked it because we got to make our own designs and got to see others. A retablo is a piece of board with a painting on it.
Signed, Chloe H.

Dear Mom and Dad,
I had a lot of fun on Hispanic Heritage Day. We made tortillas, retablos, went to the Menardville Museum, and a mariachi band came. My favorite activity was making tortillas because the tasted good.
Signed, Taylor S.

Dear Charlie,
My favorite activity was the mariachi group that sang and played songs for us and they let us dance for the last song.
Signed, Avery A.

Dear Drew,
We got to make a lot of tortillas at camp. Love you!
Signed, Clowey F.

Dear sissy,
We got to make tortillas with different recipes.
Signed, Moses S.

Dear Maddie,
My favorite activity was the retablos because I like to paint.
Signed, James C.

Dear Mom and Dad,
Yesterday we got to paint retablos, a retablo wooden board with a painting on it. My favorite activity was making tortillas.
Signed, AJ H.

Dear Granny and Papa,
We got to make tortillas, it was my favorite because it was my first time.
Signed, Chase L.

Dear Dad,
We made tortillas yesterday. I put a lot of sugar and butter on them. On another tortillas I put hot sauce on it.
Signed, Jake C.

Dear Mom,
My favorite activity yesterday was making tortillas because we got to put cinnamon, sugar, and butter on them.
Signed, Carter W.


Labels:

9 Comments:

  • At June 24, 2014 at 11:11 AM , Blogger Rachel A. said...

    We miss you too Joseph G! We can't wait for you to come home and tell us all about it. I know you will never forget this trip! You will be home before you know it. Glad to hear your are enjoying it! See you soon. Love, mom and Mike.

     
  • At June 24, 2014 at 12:06 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Ally T

    Glad u like that activity.. Now you can teach me how to make tortillas.

    Love you and miss you!

    Mom dad and favy

     
  • At June 24, 2014 at 12:48 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Morgan
    I told wolfie you were going to make tortillas for him when you get home. He started to dance.

    Luv Mom, Dad, Wolfie & Kirsten.

     
  • At June 24, 2014 at 6:18 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I miss you Trinitee. Enjoy yourself because it'll be over soon. Love Mom

     
  • At June 24, 2014 at 7:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Anika
    So great to see your post and letter!! great to see you are having lots of fun, learning cool things at camp and you get to put squirrels into some of the things you do. Are you going to use leaves like the Native Americans did at a reenactment? Did you dance with the mariachi? maybe we can make quesadillas with homemade tortillas one day. glad your having fun.

     
  • At June 24, 2014 at 9:04 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Sabrina,
    I know you are having fun and I can't wait for you to come home and tell me about it. My other mommy came home from her trip to see Uncle Buddy and Aunt Genie and the minute she opened the car door I jumped in all by myself and searched for you everywhere but she said you will be home Friday so have a lot of fun and see you Friday!
    Love and sloppy kisses,
    Miss Kitty
    P.s. We love you!

     
  • At June 24, 2014 at 9:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Kael, so glad you are having fun. You will have so much to tell us. Chayse is spending two nights with us, so get ready, it'll be your turn to come soon. Love you and we'll see you soon.
    Nenaw and Papaw and Chayse

     
  • At June 25, 2014 at 12:01 AM , Blogger Monica Martinez said...

    Jordan you can make some tortillas for us when you get home. :) Hope to see you in a few pictures tomorrow since I won't be hearing from you all day. :( Be safe. I love you.
    Missing you,
    Mom

     
  • At June 26, 2014 at 10:35 AM , Blogger Pandora said...

    Maddie G.
    I am excited to see my present, but mostly excited to see you! You can make tortillas for us at home, okay (teach me, too? It sounds like you're having loads of fun. See you Friday.
    Love you,
    Mom

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home